gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:03:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jack Reilly  (Read 31575 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2006, 03:53:53 AM »

SDT went Top 10 on Boston AM radio.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
peeping tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2006, 04:02:04 AM »

It made the top 30 here in Holland.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2006, 04:35:01 AM »

I guess it went to at least #5 on a Boston FM too.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2006, 07:12:13 AM »

It made the top 30 here in Holland.

#21, to be exactly.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2006, 06:33:16 PM »

I like Feet and agree it would be good on Friends which was a bit too short anyway - so it goes on my extended "Friends" cd.
The lyrics of Student Demonstration Time made me wince back then, as well as now. It's a great track but lyrically was a seriously misguided attempt to make the Beach Boys more current. In fact it had the opposite effect.

My prefered 'Friends' album would include 'Time to Get Alone', 'I Went to Sleep' and 'Sail Plane' and be without 'Transendetal Meditation'. I think TM is a good song, but not on Friends and definatley not as a closer.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2006, 01:48:39 AM »

I feel that  SDT's title, itself, implies a detached perspective as do the lyrics. 
“Jackson State brothers learned not to say nasty things about Southern policemen's mothers” refers to a violent riot involving black students in Jackson Miss. on May 14-15, 1970.  In the process of quelling the riot, police opened fire killing two students and injuring twelve while firing over 460 rounds.
The original Isla Vista riot “where police felt so harassed” involved students burning down the local Bank Of America.  The local police were attacked and sustained many serious injuries. The “protestors” actually drove them out of town.  The L.A. County Sheriffs that Mike refers to were brought in to deal with a subsequent, follow up, riot.  They were very very heavy handed and killed one innocent bystander.
Kent State “Four martyrs earned a new degree the Bachelor of Bullets” was Kent State.

What does Brian think about this song?  “It didn’t hit the spot for me” “Lyrically it was a little too far out for me”.
I can see liking this song for the same reason that Pam Anderson claimed for liking a certain “unnatural act” -  because it’s SO wrong.  Taken in a certain way, maybe it is really good, but “Blowing In The Wind” it is not.   
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 01:49:47 AM by mikee » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2014, 07:14:50 AM »

I feel that  SDT's title, itself, implies a detached perspective as do the lyrics. 
“Jackson State brothers learned not to say nasty things about Southern policemen's mothers” refers to a violent riot involving black students in Jackson Miss. on May 14-15, 1970.  In the process of quelling the riot, police opened fire killing two students and injuring twelve while firing over 460 rounds.
The original Isla Vista riot “where police felt so harassed” involved students burning down the local Bank Of America.  The local police were attacked and sustained many serious injuries. The “protestors” actually drove them out of town.  The L.A. County Sheriffs that Mike refers to were brought in to deal with a subsequent, follow up, riot.  They were very very heavy handed and killed one innocent bystander.
Kent State “Four martyrs earned a new degree the Bachelor of Bullets” was Kent State.

What does Brian think about this song?  “It didn’t hit the spot for me” “Lyrically it was a little too far out for me”.
I can see liking this song for the same reason that Pam Anderson claimed for liking a certain “unnatural act” -  because it’s SO wrong.  Taken in a certain way, maybe it is really good, but “Blowing In The Wind” it is not.   
Interesting discussion...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx