gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:23:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian At Glastonbury  (Read 8660 times)
Pat
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2005, 03:41:05 PM »

After Van's performance we dashed back to the Cider Tree and looked for our friends and got a drink.Then i heard in the distance THEN I KISSED HER."Come on Kim,he's on!" and we dashed back to the front.I'm an old hand at getting to the front at concerts.The trick is to start at the front ,then work your way in from the side.Then i got my first glimpse of Brian in 25 years.It was great to see him and his wonderful 10 piece band on stage at this famous festival.Brian looked really well but the pain that he has suffered over the years is etched into his face.Compare his joyous songs to Morrison's whingeing about his hard life.It is a miracle that Brian is still alive at all.He is a testament to the power of the human spirit and the love of a good woman,his wife Melinda who deserves a lot of credit for bringing Brian back from the abyss.Then it was DONT WORRY BABY which to me is the greatest B side to any single ever.Then DANCE, DANCE DANCE from the Beach Boys Today album.Somebody said that side 2 of that album is Brian's finest work and i almost agree.Its comparable in greatness to side 2 of Vans Into The Music album.Then it was DARLIN' which made me think of Dennis Wilson for some reason and i hoped Dennis was looking down on his brothers biggest concert triumph.This was followed by 2 beautiful ballads IN MY ROOM and SURFER GIRL.I remember being jealous of Brian when i was a kid not having my own room and having to share.The harmonising on these songs and all the songs was simply stunning.THE LITTLE GIRL I ONCE KNEW was next which took me right back 40 years to 1965.Then WOULDN'T IT BE NICE from the second best album ever made.Astral Weeks by Van is the greatest in my humble opinion.See how i am comparing and contrasting the 2 performances? Brian was the triumph that Van could have been.
ALL SUMMER LONG was next which was perfect for this sunny afternoon.It was as if California had come to Somerset.Then Brian said, "Thank you,it feels like Christmas",and did LITTLE SAINT NICK. Only Brian Wilson could get away with singing about Xmas in June.I GET AROUND was next, the song that made me a Beach Boys fan all those years ago.This was followed by SAIL ON SAILOR and MARCELLA.I think Holland is a great album and the Beach Boys live album from that era.Brians humour came out next when he got the audience to sing ROW, ROW, ROW YOUR BOAT MERRILY DOWN THE STREAM .No doubt a reference to Fridays rain.
Next was OUR PRAYER and HEROES AND VILLAINS from Smile.You just watch SMILE go to number 1 in the UK album charts next week.Thats if the shops have enough copies to meet the demand!. GOD ONLY KNOWS was next,to me this is the most simplistic beautiful love song ever written.Then SLOOP JOHN B which took me back to listening to Radio Caroline in bed with the little ear piece stuck in my ear hole!Then it was the song which i suppose sums up the Beach Boys to most people, CALIFORNIA GIRLS.This was followed by GOOD VIBRATIONS,the most influential pop song ever written.It sounds as fresh to me now as the day i bought it,November 5th 1966.DO IT AGAIN and HELP ME RHONDA followed then to a huge cheer Brian got away from the keyboards and played bass on BARBARA ANN.This was followed by SURFIN' USA and finally FUN FUN FUN which summed up the most joyous performance i have ever witnessed.Brian left the stage to rapturous applause after winning a place in the hearts of thousands of new fans.As the crowd dispersed i knew i had just seen one of the most enjoyable performances of my life.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 04:02:26 AM »

I didnīt have the luck of seeing that show, but ... "Brian Wilson rocked Glastenbury" ... simply incredible.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Jason
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:29:21 PM »

I've heard a recording of that show, it was excellent. Brian in top form.
Pat
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 04:14:07 PM »

Thanks for your nice comments, that was an extract from my Glastonbury review.I did put it on the Brian Wilson website a few months ago but i don't think they bothered reading it.Anyway, i like this site.See you later, Cheers, Pat.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 08:43:25 AM »

Just found this clip on YouTube. It shows "Surfin USA" and "Fun Fun Fun". Itīs such a joy to see so many people enjoying this music. This has to be one of THE highlights in Brian's career. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yMR53VcUSk&search=Brian%20Wilson

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
liam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 11:32:22 PM »

I've seen Brian 3 times (including the first set of Smile shows), and this was the best.  OK, a full performance of Smile would have been nice, but a straight-ish hit-after-hit set was ideal for a festival crowd and it worked perfectly; none of that "plugging the new album" trap that some artists fall into when playing to non-fans.

The atmosphere was amazing; a large field packed with people, all singing along and many visibly weeping with joy (no joke!).  (Maybe the cider bus helped a bit, and the way that we had wall-to-wall blue sky after 2 days in the mud.)

Either way, this was the single best gig or festival performance I've ever been to, and I don't expect it will ever be bettered.  And no, I wasn't on drugs (cider excepted).

Liam
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »

The whole thing is now on youtube and I have to say..for what year it is it's probably the best performance I've seen from Brian outside of the Roxy and BBPS. The shear size of this event is enough to have any man dirtying his underwear soon especially BW. But, like a true pro he feeds of the good vibes from the crowd and delivers an unforgettable show.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »

Brian did an okay job, regarding the obvious pressure (look at that crowd!). You can tell he wasn't really loose on this one - glued to the teleprompter and all. But that's just Brian playing in front of..what.. half a million people? Must've felt like a lot more to Brian.
(I wouldn't say that it's one of his best performances. He's good on some tunes, and just 'okay' on others. Important thing is: he did something of this size and it went well. Band awesome as always.)

But I gotta say, this is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yMR53VcUSk
God only knows how many pals I've shown this to, to convince them of Brian Wilson's ability to rock.  Cool
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:30:09 AM »

One thing that surprises me is how much the band step up at these shows like this - They're on fire! And at Bestival last year, too.

I remember watching this on the telly at the time - it was either a week before or after I saw him for the first time. The crowd are LOVING IT SO MUCH.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »

Sure, he's nervous and reads from the teleprompter but that finale and him SCREAMING on good vibrations sold me. As much as some fans dislike Foskett this dude keeps Brian and the whole production rolling. When Brian is too quiet on a line you'll hear Foskett fill it out on the spot. Can't wait for this tour.

pmb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 08:24:20 AM »

As a UK fan, it's very annoying to watch this back and think "why wasn't I there"

I don't think I've ever seen a crowd as big as that as Glastonbury - ever - there were a few weak moments vocally from Brian (WIBN) but overall it was such a solid performance considering the amount of gig-goers.

Hoping that one day there is footage of more of the concert as opposed to the select songs - Little Saint Nick at a Summer Festival?!  LOL
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx