gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:27:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Beach Boys '69 (Beach Boys Live In London)
5 - 14 (20.6%)
4 - 33 (48.5%)
3 - 16 (23.5%)
2 - 4 (5.9%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (1.5%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys '69 (Beach Boys Live In London)  (Read 57926 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006, 05:21:17 AM »

arent you glad is great live! i love the big sur version with that great organ line! Bluebirds kicks on this album as well...i was listening to the original recording of this show and noticed more talking between songs. i never have liked mike's talk during GV..."dearly beloved"....ugh!
Lei'd in Hawaii- Gettin Hungry, you're so good to me, surfin (w/ brian's do it again line over the chorus) are all great...i love brian's organ at this show...a lot of people give crap about it and say it's annoying

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2006, 07:54:41 AM »

I think it's rehearsal recordings I have - I love Brian singing 'The Letter'.

Actually, that wasn't a rehearsal. That was an actual attempt by the band to record a few songs and overdub an audience response on them.
drlandy
Smiley Smile Associate

HONKIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2006, 01:04:55 PM »

Great album, energetic performance, fantastic setlist.
I like its roughness. 5!
MBE
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2006, 10:48:11 PM »

Good stuff but I hate that Dennis in his vocal prime didn't get one solo! Brian was also in his prime vocally and is missed. The songs that work are the ones he had a lesser vocal role in originally. I like Leid better. It's unpolished but a lot of fun. The 64 is the best to me but if Dennis had been given a few songs on the 68 and 73 then I would probably like them more.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 10:49:43 PM by MBE » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2006, 06:16:27 AM »

I like this album very much. they sound great. I like the "In Concert" better though, because that swings and rocks like this doesn't. But "Darlin'" "God only knows" and to a big part "Good vibrations" (cut out Mike's "dearly beloved") are probably the best bbs-live-versions of these songs. The rare ones sound very good too. I just wonder why the hell they cut the intro to "California girls" . How can anybody do that ?!?!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
drlandy
Smiley Smile Associate

HONKIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2006, 08:08:59 PM »

I like this album very much. they sound great. I like the "In Concert" better though, because that swings and rocks like this doesn't. But "Darlin'" "God only knows" and to a big part "Good vibrations" (cut out Mike's "dearly beloved") are probably the best bbs-live-versions of these songs. The rare ones sound very good too. I just wonder why the hell they cut the intro to "California girls" . How can anybody do that ?!?!
C'mon, In concert and this one are diifferent leagues, 69 is much more mature and I hate all the screaming on in concert
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2006, 08:31:39 PM »

C'mon, In concert and this one are diifferent leagues, 69 is much more mature and I hate all the screaming on in concert

I think he was referring to the 1973 live album, not the 1964 one.

I love all three of those live albums, personally.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
briancarldennisal
Smiley Smile Associate

light the lamp and fire mellow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2006, 12:00:06 PM »

i really love this album and for all the same reasons most of you have already mentioned. 'wake the world' 'arn't you glad' & 'bluebirds over the mountain' make it a treat. by far my fav live album by the bb. 'in concert' is wonderful in its own right, but if you think about it they were a different band by then with blondie and ricky, so its hard to compare the two. but i will! and this is my fav.

light the lamp and fire mellow cabin essence timely hello
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2007, 01:15:53 PM »

I've been listeing to this album on rotation today and each time I listen I like it even more. Great vocal performances as well as great horns and the rest of the back up band. Favorites: Do It Again, Aren't You Glad & Wake The World. Love the muted trumpet section in Wake The World

Question on Wake The World: Is that Al singing Brian's high parts "when you're callin' me", etc.?

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 05:13:53 AM »

I really love this album, always have. In my opinion its the best live album by The Beach Boys. Okay, it might not have as many rarities as say "In Concert" as well as being much shorter but I just enjoy the performances better. The only annoying thing is Mike Love, he can get really annoying... "Where going to do this song a capella... which means nude" that kind of thing gets so annoying. The only funny thing he says is when he doesnt mean to be funny when he says "Now for our audience perspiration number, I mean paticicaption or whatever" (or something to that affect - cracks me up every time) But yeh I really dig the brass backing the band, its done really well (would that be Daryl Dragon who helped with the arrangements? Not 100% sure) But yeh the only track that sounds kind of bad is WIBN.. Always has sounded bad to me live... But I really dig the version of Bluebirds... much better than the CD version in my opinion... Obviously the other rarities such as Wake The World & Aren't You Glad are really great to hear aswell. The only problem is everything is too fast.. especially on Their Hearts Were Full of Spring.. but I'll forgive them because it still sounds superb. Overall a fantastic live album and the most enjoyable one in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 05:15:37 AM by mikeyj » Logged
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 12:05:29 AM »

Yeah, it really is great. They should start releasing a series of cds of live concerts like the Doors are going. I'd love to hear more concerts from this period.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2007, 01:13:27 AM »

Yeah, it really is great. They should start releasing a series of cds of live concerts like the Doors are going. I'd love to hear more concerts from this period.

Yeh I've always liked the late 60's performances (from what Ive heard) than the early 70's. Obviously they are pretty close together but I just prefer say 68-69 to 72-74 which from what I can gather is most peoples favourite live era... Of course I still love that era too and it is my second favourite live era
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2007, 12:52:39 AM »

What I don't like about the early 70's concerts is that they became embarrased about their past and tried to seem hip, so they updated the style of the mid-60's songs they played in concert and tried to make them sound like the songs on Carl & The Passions.  'Help Me Rhonda' on the In Concert album is probably the worst offender. At least on Live In London they tried to stay faithful to the original sound.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2007, 01:07:35 AM »

What I don't like about the early 70's concerts is that they became embarrased about their past and tried to seem hip, so they updated the style of the mid-60's songs they played in concert and tried to make them sound like the songs on Carl & The Passions.  'Help Me Rhonda' on the In Concert album is probably the worst offender. At least on Live In London they tried to stay faithful to the original sound.

Yeh I agree with you there. That's my opinion too that they sounded better. Of course they still sounded cool in the early 70's too plus they had a lot more obscure songs but still the late 60's is my favourite live era. I remember somebody posting a black & white clip on YouTube of them in '68 or '69 in Paris with them doing God Only Knows and they owned the original film reel... I'm glad it's in the possession of Alan Boyd & Co. but boy would I love to have that whole concert on DVD. Not sure what they performed but that performance of God Only Knows was certainly a real treat.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2007, 02:23:22 PM »

I don't think there's any inherent value in trying to be faithful to originals. Look at someone like Bob Dylan, who reinvents his own songs constantly on tour. Granted, a person could argue that Beach Boys songs are more studio creations whose ideal forms are those on the album, as opposed to someone like Dylan who always has said that there is no single, ideal version on an album and that the art is in performing. But a person could also argue otherwise. I think it's perfectly possible to find value in both the early '70s Help Me Rhonda and the studio one(s). And what's more, it is entirely understandable why they'd experiement.

Who wants to be a traveling jukebox before his time? There was time enough for that later. Specifically, about 30 years' time for it, so far, starting just under a decade later.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2007, 05:25:37 PM »

Maybe your right.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2007, 05:28:23 PM »

Maybe your right.

Hooray for me!

I don't hear that too often on the board.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2008, 11:04:57 PM »

I like it, the band sounds good, though I miss Brian's falsetto and Mike Love is fucking irritating as all f***.

3/5. I don't listen to it too much.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 12:38:53 AM »

There are alot of things I really like about this album. It's got plenty of personality. I love Mike's between-song patter... reminds me of the Kingston Trio's "from the Hungry i" album in that aspect. I like that they do songs like Aren't You Glad and Wake the World. Good Vibrations is really cool. I love the vocals on this - they sound real and raw but still great. I wish they had done more songs from Friends, though.

And although it's kinda cool in a way, I think it's silly that the band can't/won't play the intro to California Girls or the slow bit at the end of Wouldn't it Be Nice. And the guitar on Bluebirds is so weak compared to the studio version.

4/5
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 12:47:27 AM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2009, 11:55:30 PM »

Am I the only one who sort of enjoyed Mike's stage banter?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 04:51:56 AM »

I do so, too. That said, I don't find myself listening to Live in London all that often, mainly because it seems a bit short and half-hearted to me, for a BB live record anyway. I do, however, prefer this album's Barbara Ann over virtually any other version of that song I've ever heard.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 07:36:23 AM »

I did too, I just don't like when he's talking during "Good vibrations" ("dearly beloved.." you know).
I wonde if Mike's strange noise on the opening of "California girls" is the reason, the intro was cut (you can hear the unedited version on a Dumb Angel-release). I can't stand people talking during songs. But apart from that, I like his talking on this album much better than on other live-releases

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2012, 08:50:46 AM »

I have a mild obsession with this album. Love the energy, especially during the first half of the album. I even like the version of Do It Again that appears here better than the 20/20 version. The brass section is killer.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »

I love the brass parts as well

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2012, 09:04:25 PM »

'Help Me Rhonda' on the In Concert album is probably the worst offender. At least on Live In London they tried to stay faithful to the original sound.

I fucking hate that version. So much. What's up with the vocals coming in after five minutes of them playing the same goofy ass chord progression over and over and over and over?

I like how the crowd only cheers when Al sings the opening line. They were there and they don't even know what the fuck these guys are playing.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:10:11 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx