gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:14:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blondie gets noticed on Stones Tour  (Read 3098 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2006, 12:57:19 PM »

Rolling Stones sideman steps into solo spotlight

By Dean Goodman
Reuters
Monday, October 16, 2006; 2:35 PM

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - He's performed in front of millions of people, but few of them know his name or his distinguished rock 'n' roll history.

Now, Blondie Chaplin is stepping out from the giant shadow cast by the Rolling Stones, who have employed him as a backing singer and guitarist since 1997, to release a solo album.

"Between Us" (Big Karma Records), an acoustic effort recorded in snatches of free time over the past few years, is on sale at http://www.blondiechaplin.com. The album showcases a sweet, soulful vocal reminiscent of Al Green.

Coincidentally, Chaplin's voice can be heard on the big screen in "The Departed," which uses the tune "Sail On, Sailor" from Chaplin's brief stint as a Beach Boy in the early 1970s.

And, no -- to get the most obvious question out of the way first -- none of the Stones make guest appearances on "Between Us." As far as Chaplin knows, some of them may not have even heard the album yet. But Keith Richards, the Stones guitarist who brought Chaplin into the fold, liked what he heard.

"That was good enough for me then," Chaplin, 55, said during a recent telephone interview from Chicago while on tour with the Stones. "Maybe it will trickle down to somebody else. Some of the guys in the band, they take their time listening to it, but I'm getting good feedback, so that's good."

The no-budget effort features the dreadlocked Chaplin on vocals, guitar and percussion, his compatriot and co-producer Keith Lentin on bass, and Anton Fig ("Late Show with David Letterman") on drums. It was recorded at Lentin's house in New York. Chaplin said he never thought about bringing anyone else into the project.

"I just thought maybe it's all right if it just stands on its own. It's kinda nice that it came out that way."

Tunes such as "Love You Till I Die" betray Chaplin's South African roots, even though he left the country in the 1960s and has not been back in six years. He has lived near the beach in Los Angeles since the early 1970s.

Chaplin got his start in the music business playing with the biggest band in his Durban hometown, the Flames. After sailing to London in search of fame and fortune, they were discovered by Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys who brought them to Los Angeles to record an album. Chaplin then became a Beach Boy, contributing to three albums.

Since then, he has worked as a journeyman musician, recording his self-titled debut solo album in 1977, and playing with the likes of Bonnie Raitt, Phoebe Snow, David Johansen, the Band and Paul Butterfield. He helped Richards on his 1997 reggae album "Wingless Angels," which led to a gig the same year on the Stones' "Bridges to Babylon" album and tour.

Chaplin's experience with the dysfunctional Beach Boys -- no, he and Mike Love do not exchange Christmas cards -- taught him to tread carefully when entering the highly bureaucratic Stones organization. Richards eventually decreed that Chaplin should do more than help out on the high notes.

"He looked at me and goes, 'I see two hands that are not doing anything. Let 'em play the guitar,"' Chaplin recalled, often sounding eerily like the wheezy Richards himself. "I said, 'Thank you, great."'

From his slot in the wings, he strums an acoustic on many of the tunes, supplementing the electric guitar interplay between Richards and Ron Wood.

Of course, the Stones paycheck will end sometime this century, and Chaplin views his album as a way of re-establishing himself as a performer in his own right.

The night before the Stones played Soldier Field in Chicago, Chaplin performed a solo show in the city. On Sunday, after the Stones end their show in Austin, he will rush to the Continental Club to play a few songs with one-time Stones tour keyboardist Ian McLagan. No other solo shows are on the schedule yet.

"I'm definitely keen on doing more, as soon as this thing stops for a little bit, just try and do gigs, even if they're small," he said. "Hopefully I'll get some more time so people can dig some more stuff."

Reuters

Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 05:28:42 PM »

Always glad to hear Blondie sing.

http://www.smileysmile.net/index.php/beachboys/spotlight_on_blondie

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:16:16 AM »

What is it with these links you keep posting?! They are void, dead, lead nowhere. There is a webpage when you click the link but it has absolutely no information in it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 02:12:44 PM »

from

www.RockRadio.com

Monday, November 06, 2006
Rolling Stones sideman says there are no bad shows
Blondie Chaplin, the Rolling Stones' live backing vocalist and guitarist, says that the band never has an off-night onstage, just varying degrees of great shows.

Chaplin, who's been on the road with the band since 1997, told us that the Stones are consistently hot in concert: "It's such a high, heavy energy show. I mean people ask me all the time, I go, 'Hey that was pretty good,' or 'That was real good.' But it's just measuring emotional highs. It's just, "Oh, that energy was incredible,' and I'll say it that way, as opposed to, "This is better than...' -- y'know what I mean?"

He was an official member of the Beach Boys in the early '70s, and sang lead on their 1973 hit, "Sail On Sailor," which is featured in Martin Scorsese's new film, The Departed. Incidentally, Scorsese is now filming a documentary on the Stones current tour.

Over the years Chaplin has performed with Eric Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, Phoebe Snow, and members of the Byrds and the Band.

Chaplin, who is of South African decent, has just released his second solo album titled, Between Us, which is exclusively available through his blondiechaplin.com website. After the Stones' tour wraps up, he'll be hitting the road for a series of club dates to promote the new album. [/color]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 02:15:55 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 02:46:43 PM »

Is BW on the album or is that the Anton Fig album he sings bvs on one track (Head on my Shoulder?)?

Honk! Honk!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 06:06:19 PM »

Looks like Fig is helping out on this one.

http://shop.bigkarmarecords.com/products/blondie-chaplin-between-us

However they both helped Fig on his 02 Figments album according to his site.

http://antonfig.com/press.htm

One of the best albums of 2002, Figments is the long awaited album from celebrity drummer Anton Fig. Best known as the house drummer in the David Letterman Show band, Fig has sagaciously assembled a number prominent music heroes for his solo debut. Also the drummer in the house band at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Fig has over the years worked with the best in the biz. First off, the voices Fig spotlights on the CD are brilliant and among the fine vocalists taking center spotlight here are legendary folk-rocker Richie Havens, Beach Boys founder Brian Wilson, Wilson’s former band mate in the ‘Boys, singer/guitarist Blondie Chaplin and legendary songwriter, Chip Taylor (“Wild Thing”), singing the Fig/Taylor tune “When The Good Die Young”. Brian Wilson’s ever-amazing harmonies supporting Chaplin’s striking vocals on “Hand On My Shoulder” is clearly a Figments highlight. According to Anton, “This record reminds me of the days when we used to put on headphones and listen to the details in the music. The combinations of singers and musicians, different from song to song, are exciting.” From a guitarists perspective, the album features ace fretboard work from Chaplin, Ace Frehley, Chris Spedding and Vincent Nguini (to name a few) as well as keyboards legends like Al Kooper, Paul Shaffer and the dozens of other notable Fig cohorts partaking in the upbeat musical moods here. Whatever your favorite flavor of music—rock, pop, jazz and more—Figments has it covered on what has to be among the coolest surprises of 2002.
- Robert Silverstein, 20th Century Guitar Magazine   

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 07:40:23 AM »

Ah-hah.  Thanks.  I've heard (and got) the song but wasn't aware it had actually been released.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 03:21:12 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 03:16:55 PM »

I hope some of Blondie's gigs will be available online, but I doubt it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 04:26:19 AM »

http://www.chico.mweb.co.za/art/2006/2006dec/061208-flames.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx