gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:17:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beatles Help Album  (Read 12310 times)
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2006, 07:45:54 PM »

I gotta say...this could be my favourite Beatles album now....I used to think Revolver or The White but this one has a great set of RNR, folk and ballad type tunes!!! What do you say??? (I mean the original UK Help not the US version with all the incidental music) Grin

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 08:02:34 PM »

For me the weakest pre-Pepper Beatles LP.
John is on full strength throughout, but Paul has a very weak showing until his almost shocking doubleheader near the end. George can barely write a tune here, his songs have terrible lyrics and weak melodies. And Tell Me What You See is one of the worst Beatles tracks. If You've Got Trouble is even better, not to mention the magnificent That Means A Lot.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 08:15:26 PM »

Ha, and I thought I was alone in loving "That Means Alot."  :D Most people knock it. I remember when that first surfaced in the mid-eighties, I was ecstatic to think that great Beatle songs were still out there waiting to be unveiled.

I never listen to Help, only because I used to get so frustrated at how crappy the damn CD sounds.
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 08:20:51 PM »

I hate the album as it stands. The hits are just that and everything else is turds. The only other good songs are better heard with US Rubber Soul.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 08:22:02 PM »

You're Gonna Lose That Girl, baby. GREAT song.
Dizzy Miss Lizzy is some of the most primal rock the band cut.

Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 08:23:17 PM »

*yawn*
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 08:38:55 PM »

Too much booze, my man. Listen again.

Boxer Monkey
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 08:51:56 PM »

I thought booze made everything better.  Smiley

I like "Help." I don't think it's as weak as, say, "Beatles for Sale," although there are some low points. But I like "Tell Me What You See." "That Means a Lot" would definitely have improved the album, though.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 09:13:01 PM »

I find Beatles For Sale the band's most underrated LP. I find every track, besides Mr. Moonlight and the overrated Rock And Roll Music to have some merit. Also, it has possibly my two favorite pure-pop Beatles songs, Every Little Thing and What You're Doing.
And the 3-song despair-and-mourning suite at the top of the album is some of the best programming in their career.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 11:46:20 PM »

I really like Help!

You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
The Night Before
You're Gonna Lose That Girl
It's Only Love
I've Just Seen A Face
Another Girl
I Need You

These are really great songs!
When I first heard the album in its entirety, what struck me the most was how introspective a lot of the songs are and it has a sort of folk sound. I think its a real step forward for the band. What bugs me about the album is how mushy and saccharine the bad songs are.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 12:07:30 AM »

Nobody likes the title cut?  "I Need You" is real pretty Ian.

On the topic of the two opening "For Sale", "No Reply" is one of my favourite Beatles tracks... John really turned it on then, great chorus, "I SAW THE LIGHT!"... fuuuuck, I'm listening to that now... Incredible.

"I'm a Loser" however, I don't like much at all...  Very pedestrian after such a powerful opening track.
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 12:11:06 AM »

Nobody likes the title cut? 

Yes, I like the title cut?  Along with The Night Before, I Need You, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Another Girl, and You're Gonna Lose that Girl

It's also my fiavorite movie.

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 01:07:44 AM »

Read the posts, kids! Of course we like the title cut, I said that ALL John's songs are great on the album, as they are. Paul's stuff is remarkably pedestrian in every way, totally inferior to many other British bands' ouputs of the time. Night Before and Another Girl are very lame attempts to be bluesy and rock from Paul, totally uninspired. When he just was lame old himself Paulie, he was great-Yesterday, I've Just Seen A Face.
George, besides Don't Bother Me, simply couldn't write until Rubber Soul, and even Paul didn't hit his stride until Soul, with a few exceptions.

Evenreven
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 05:50:01 AM »

Did you just knock Another Girl? That means war, my man. From now on, we're bitter enemies, never to reconcile!
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 06:02:10 AM »

Worse, did you just knock "I Need You?" Its two against one in that bitter holy war. "Couldn't write?" FEH! "I Need You" simply put features one of the best riffs of the entire 60s and an insanely great and aching melody, and his performance vocally is top notch.

I *love* Help. I'm gonna go against the grain here: its one of my favorite Beatles albums, and pre-Revolver, I'd say its their strongest set. You heard me. You're partly right as to why: this is Lennon's very best set of songs of his entire career. He was firing on absolutely every single cylinder here, and its a career-defining set of songs. Macca's not as strong but "Yesterday!!" I mean, PERIOD! And as you said, "I've Just Seen A Face!!" And I do also love "Another Girl" very very much. Really, the only song I could live without is "The Night Before," but even that isn't THAT bad. I love "Tell Me What You See!" That's a hell of a chorus, there.

Its one of my desert island discs. If I had to pick a moment that defined Lennon as genius, and the moment the Beatles really began to crystallize as a creative force to be reckoned with it would be this album.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 06:47:57 AM »

Gotta agree that Help is a letdown album, sounding very transistional to me.  It drives me to the skip button more than any other Beatles album.  The hits are fine, there are a few good album tracks, but there are so many eehh tunes on side 2 it's not even funny.  Two great Paul songs buried among average songs.

Notice I said "average", not bad.  IMO there never was a bad Beatles song released, not really.  Most bands would kill for Help's worst, but in context still a letdown.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 07:07:17 AM »

I like this album. Like. There are plenty of good songs, and plenty of pretty good songs. It isn't anywhere near the top, but it could be a lot, lot worse. It's toward the bottom of the Beatles' heap, which is still pretty high overall.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2006, 09:19:04 AM »

Steely Dan's "Barrytown" sounds like it was inspired by "Tell Me What You See"

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
Jason
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2006, 10:09:44 AM »

IMO there never was a bad Beatles song released, not really.

Not even Mr. Moonlight?
GP1138
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2006, 10:39:51 AM »

MISTAAAAAAAA MOOOHOOOHOOONLIIIIGHAAAAAAYAAT!!!!

I love that song.

"If You've Got Trouble" is great, too. That should have been a B-side.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2006, 11:25:08 AM »

IMO there never was a bad Beatles song released, not really.

Not even Mr. Moonlight?

Not even Mr. Moonlight.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2006, 12:52:30 PM »

I don't like Act Naturally. They perform it fine, it's just that I hate that song.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2006, 02:36:09 PM »

I love that tune, a wonderful tribute to the great Buck Owens. Great initation of Don Rich, one of the great tenor harmony singers, by Paul.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2006, 08:22:25 AM »

I remember when I first heard this Beatles album...it was available at our local library, along with "Revolver", "Pepper", "Abbey Road", etc.  Then saw the movie (from thast same library) and was hooked on the soundtrack. 

Fast forward to 1998: "Grease", the movie, was rereleased in theatres.  There was a DJ there who was giving away CDs, and when I say he was giving them away, I mean there was a catch: you had to answer a trivia question relating to the CD.  Long story short: I knew the names of all five Spice Girls, next day I traded it at our local shop (called The Sound Exchange) for "Help!"

I think the album, in its sequencing of all these good tunes, works great. Also, the choice of instruments (and who's playing them): electric piano is one thing that gives this album continuity. John plays it on "You Like Me Too Much" and especially well on "The Night Before", making a cool synthesis with the rhythm guitar...almost like a new instrument (a la Brian Wilson). Paul plays electric piano on "Tell Me What You See". The electric piano doesn't show up again until "I Am The Walrus", right?  If so, it's interesting to hear it so much on here.  Another odd thing is that Paul plays lead on two songs, "Another Girl" and "Ticket To Ride".  Other neat things: George's spot on melodic double-tracked octave solo on "The Night Before" (anyone notice that definite "Yes!!" right before the solo?  Awesome); honky tonk piano on " You Like Me Too Much"; Ringo's bongo playing on "You're Going To Lose That Girl"; springy leslie-fied guitar on "It's Only Love"; All acoustic instrumentation, and flutes on "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"; beautiful string quartet on "Yesterday".

Chris D.
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2006, 06:51:31 PM »

I like "Help." I don't think it's as weak as, say, "Beatles for Sale," although there are some low points. But I like "Tell Me What You See." "That Means a Lot" would definitely have improved the album, though.

This is exactly how I feel.  The title alone of "Beatles for Sale" kind of warns you off.  I think that album and "Let it Be" were the two times they took serious steps backwards with an album as a whole.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx