gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:01:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys in Martin Scorsese's THE DEPARTED  (Read 4336 times)
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2006, 04:34:28 PM »

Yep, that's right. The song SAIL ON SAILER is featured in the flick. Kinda cool to hear a more obscure song in a Hollywood movie. =)

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 01:14:39 AM »

... to hear a Beach Boys song in a Scorsese movie!!! He uses music better than any other director imo. Can't wait to see this film.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 06:03:30 AM »

Wasn't SOS used in another movie, too? I believe "Summer holiday" or something like that.... Never saw it and it's probably not to be compared to Scorsese.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 07:29:57 AM »

It's in a movie called (I think) "Head Above Water", played during the opening credits.  Pretty sure it was a straight-to-video from the 90's.  Cameron Diaz was in it.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 08:30:15 AM »

How about "Five Summer Stories", a surf movie from 1972, featuring music from Surf´s Up & Holland.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 08:57:40 AM »

It's in a movie called (I think) "Head Above Water", played during the opening credits.  Pretty sure it was a straight-to-video from the 90's.  Cameron Diaz was in it.
Yeah, that's the one. But it was a cover-version, if I remember correctly. Anyway, the movie is actually really good.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 02:40:04 PM »

How about "Five Summer Stories", a surf movie from 1972, featuring music from Surf´s Up & Holland.

That's the one I was talking about. Thank you !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 05:29:29 PM »

I watched a bonus track on the "Blues Brothers" recently and the producer said that the songs used in that in 78 cost about $2k each then but to use them now in a movie would be $50k. This could explain why some more obscure songs are being used by Hollywood.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 05:31:21 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
L Ransford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 10:22:31 AM »

A charting single by a group like the Beach Boys is not exactly obscure. Maybe they should create a new Grammy catagory "Best selection of an oldie for film." I am tired of seeing movie trailers with 6.5 seconds of some oldie (that has nothing to do with the movie) crammed into it. Remember the days when artists created custom songs for films? I guess it is alot easier to manipulate audience emotion with a song that is familiar to them that to have to try to be creative and do it from scratch.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 07:01:08 PM »

SOS, while not obscure to us fan's, is no Cali Girls or Good Vibes to Joe Public but point taken.
What grates with me more than a non fitting oldie is a oldie re-recorded by a sound-a-like. If you are going to the expence of a song say by the Beatles, why ruin it?
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 08:47:40 PM »

Mind you, Scorsese's use of SOS was not loud or in a real key sequence (ie "Layla"), it's not even even played in full or at a loud volume. HOWEVER, it is really noticable (or maybe I heard it with extra sensory perceptions, because I'm a beach boys fan).

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 05:05:49 AM »

It seems there's a programme on Artsworld tonight called 'Scorsese: Emotions through music'.  May not feature the Boys, but could be interesting anyway.

It's followed by 'The Beach Boys: Good Vibrations Tour', then 'Miles Davis: Miles Electric - A Different Kind of Blue'.

I often kick myself that I don't have this channel.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 12:27:46 AM »

What grates with me more than a non fitting oldie is a oldie re-recorded by a sound-a-like. If you are going to the expence of a song say by the Beatles, why ruin it?
It's much cheaper.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx