gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:11:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Peacemaker Al Jardine?  (Read 3735 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2006, 02:27:42 AM »

Thursday, October 05, 2006
Beach Boys author thinks Al Jardine might help along group reunion
Beach Boys author Peter Ames Carlin thinks that Al Jardine's upcoming concerts with Brian Wilson might be the key to a Beach Boys reunion. Jardine and Wilson will reunite next month for the first time in a decade to perform a series of 40th anniversary Pet Sounds concerts.

Carlin spoke to us, and, although skeptical as to whether Wilson and his cousin and chief lyricist Mike Love can ever fully reunite, he thinks that Jardine may prove to be the key middle man in uniting the classic songwriting team: "I mean I think Al... From what I understand, is in a certain interesting place now, because he is kind of the one guy who's able to talk to both sides now. Both Mike and Brian. And maybe he and Brian are closer now than they've been, but y'know, it hasn't always been pretty."

Earlier this year, Carlin published the critically acclaimed biography Catch A Wave: The Rise, Fall, And Redemption Of The Beach Boys' Brian Wilson.

Brian Wilson's mini-tour featuring special guest Al Jardine kicks off on November 1st in Los Angeles at Royce Hall at UCLA.

In addition to the L.A. date, Wilson and Jardine have shows scheduled in Boston, Washington D.C., Glenside, Pennsylvania, and New York City.

The Rock Radio online

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 04:34:50 AM »

Al is able to talk to Mike ? Mike said that their relationship still isn't the best and I had the feeling that him and Brian have a better one....  Maybe Peter could explain this.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 07:20:59 AM »

just ordered my tickets to see them in DC! first time seeing both of them perform live, can't wait!  Cool Guy

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 11:08:57 AM »

Actually, I was puzzled to see that story, or to see my thoughts represented in quite that way. I mean, maybe I said that stuff. I guess I must have. But if I did I either wasn't thinking straight, or communicating well, or something. Because I know as well as any observer of the media that Mike and Al are not quite on friendly terms, and haven't been for at least 15-plus years. So something went awry somewhere between my lips and Greece's radio service. Who knows where.

pac
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 03:11:29 PM »

I wonder who is on better terms then, Brian and Mike or Al and Mike??
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 01:19:34 AM »

I wonder who is on better terms then, Brian and Mike or Al and Mike??
I'd say Brian and Mike by far.  If you look at the body language in all the reunion pics, Mike is far more interested in talking to Brian than to Al. 
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 11:51:28 PM »

I've never been really clear, if it's any of my business, where Al and Mike went awry fifteen years or so ago.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 07:17:39 AM »

I would love to know more about this as well. I know the cheerleaders were part of  that, but it had to be more
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 04:48:04 PM »

Actually Peter, that was from the interview I conducted with you for Launch Radio Networks just prior to the book being released. Rock Online must be one of the affiliates that posted my story.

Great interview, I really appreciated your time -- but rest assured that soundbite transcription was just as is you said it. Nothing was changed.

All the best,

Howie
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 09:58:47 AM »

Hi Howie: Yeah, I remember that interview, and it was swell all around. I'll defer to your memory of the exchange -- if only because you have the tape, and thus really know what you're talking about. But I remain puzzled by what I was saying, or what I thought I was getting at, or whatever. Since I've talked to Al and Mike to know exactly how much they dislike one another these days. Which is sad and awful, but there it is.

Hope everything's cool in Park Slope...p
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 03:43:56 PM »

From the story.

...."I mean I think Al... From what I understand, is in a certain interesting place now, because he is kind of the one guy who's able to talk to both sides now. Both Mike and Brian. And maybe he and Brian are closer now than they've been, but y'know, it hasn't always been pretty."....

Was wondering Peter how Al talks to Mike? You said he is "able" but does that mean he does?

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »

With Mike suing Al (this was new to me when it made the news last month), I imagine there is some serious bad blood between these two.  Maybe once the lawsuit ends and some time passes, these two can come to some understanding.

Anyway, does anyone have more background on this lawsuit? Understand it is going to trial in November. I remember years ago 'BRI' filed a lawsuit against Al about the Beach  Boys Family and Friends thing but I thought that was settled.  Did lawsuit happy ML not have his fill of legal briefs?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 02:38:54 PM »

Mike is suing again ? A few weeks ago his lawsuits against Brian and against Al were partly dismissed iirc.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 06:51:18 PM »

The way I read it is that 'part' of the suit was dismissed but some portion was allowed to go forward for trial (scheduled in November)

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx