gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:40:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine and the Brian Wilson Band  (Read 5801 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2006, 04:01:49 AM »

Brian Wilson, so-so voice and a dislike of touring, has proven there is a demand still for more non-surf Beach Boy music on the tour circut. Could Al, with his better voice, continue with Brians band...minus Brian but with his blessing?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 09:52:02 AM »

(note appropriate non-response)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 10:07:49 AM »

I doubt if Brian's band would be interested in becoming Al Jardine's band, and I doubt if many people would go see it. I certainly would though.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 02:22:42 AM »

Jon would know how interested the band is in playing BB music more than most but if Brian was not touring and Foskett and co wished to, I would think the best band may consider touring with the best voice of the originals. I view the BW band as a bit of a drawcard in itself. Well me and Paul McCartney. Grin
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 05:23:44 AM »

I view the BW band as a bit of a drawcard in itself. Well me and Paul McCartney. Grin

Me too!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 08:39:09 AM »

Jon would know how interested the band is in playing BB music more than most but if Brian was not touring and Foskett and co wished to, I would think the best band may consider touring with the best voice of the originals. I view the BW band as a bit of a drawcard in itself. Well me and Paul McCartney. Grin

I'm sorry but i found the basic premise of your original question to be somewhat absurd. Maybe it's just me...but...It hit me like...what if you cut off Brian's head and replaced it with Al's? Would Al be taller? Sure. But he wouldn't be Brian.

Al should do his own thing, like an acoustic folk/bluegrass trio. My Dad's Truck could be Al's Wondermints.

Susan? save me.
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 10:34:38 AM »

I don't think it's absurd at all. All part of my theory that the idea of the Beach Boys transcends the necessity of the original members' participation. Replace Brian with Al, by all means. When Al is done, replace him with a look-a-like; Mickey Rooney, for example.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 12:52:44 PM »

When Al is done, replace him with a look-a-like; Mickey Rooney, for example.

I was thinking more along the lines of the little elf from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer...  after all, they both wanted to be dentists....

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 02:20:22 PM »

After the dedication in LA I made a post on the Ego site that maybe Brian, Al and Dave may do something and was dumped on. If Dave should take the stage in NY for at least the encore then who's paying for my drinks? LOL

I'm sorry but i found the basic premise of your original question to be somewhat absurd. Maybe it's just me...but...It hit me like...what if you cut off Brian's head and replaced it with Al's? Would Al be taller? Sure. But he wouldn't be Brian.

Al should do his own thing, like an acoustic folk/bluegrass trio. My Dad's Truck could be Al's Wondermints.

Susan? save me.

No offence Jon but Brian, although I love the guy, is the weakest link. I listen to Al on "Concert" and its no contest.

Would "THE BRIAN WILSON BAND with guest lead vocalist AL JARDINE" tempt you? Wink
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 07:24:54 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 07:37:04 PM »

LOL

Absolutely not.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 09:36:10 PM »

After the dedication in LA I made a post on the Ego site that maybe Brian, Al and Dave may do something and was dumped on. If Dave should take the stage in NY for at least the encore then who's paying for my drinks? LOL

Susan? save me.

No offence Jon but Brian, although I love the guy, is the weakest link. I listen to Al on "Concert" and its no contest.

Would "THE BRIAN WILSON BAND with guest lead vocalist AL JARDINE" tempt you? Wink

Its never been about the performance for me, although the BW band are beyond great...but the whole motivating factor of seeing them is being in Brian's presence. He is the greatest composer, arranger, producer of popular music of our time. It's a gift to be able to applaud him directly. Althought i'm sure he'd rather be eating a burger and watching baseball on TV.

The fact that BW's band reproduces the BB's records so accurately in a live setting is truly impressive, Al's certainly a fine singer...but none of that is the WHY the experience of going to a Brian concert is priceless. It's the fact that you got to see Brian. He'll be known for hundreds of years after we're gone and you got to see him. You need to remind yourself that the fact he's the "weak link" in a band of people who've devoted themselves to learning every minute aspect of his music doesn't matter at all. None of it even exists without him. I think we have a fundementally different perspective on this topic.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 10:16:37 PM »

Yes and no.
I have been to both the PS and SMiLE shows. Both not just for a great show but also as a way of saying thanks to a artist who has given me so much pleasure over almost 30 years. However at both shows it was obvious to me that he will not be doing a Bob Dylan Endless Tour soon.
Now for those who want the surf and car tunes, Mike and Bruce fit the bill. Myself and many others like the more obscure BB music. Brian and his band fit that market. Now if Brian does not want to tour and the band did, they could find any number of great vocalists who could do credit to the music and this would make a great show IMO. Your point about the music being listened too for many years to come is correct and I think once we are all looking at the lid that musicians may tour the music just as the classics of Bach etc are played today.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 02:17:01 AM »

Its never been about the performance for me, although the BW band are beyond great...but the whole motivating factor of seeing them is being in Brian's presence. He is the greatest composer, arranger, producer of popular music of our time. It's a gift to be able to applaud him directly. Althought i'm sure he'd rather be eating a burger and watching baseball on TV.

The fact that BW's band reproduces the BB's records so accurately in a live setting is truly impressive, Al's certainly a fine singer...but none of that is the WHY the experience of going to a Brian concert is priceless. It's the fact that you got to see Brian. He'll be known for hundreds of years after we're gone and you got to see him. You need to remind yourself that the fact he's the "weak link" in a band of people who've devoted themselves to learning every minute aspect of his music doesn't matter at all. None of it even exists without him. I think we have a fundementally different perspective on this topic.

Very well said.

Nobody goes to a Brian Wilson show to see if he can still sing like he he could 40 years ago. People go to a Brian Wilson show in the first place to see a living legend in person and in the second place to hear an amazing cover band.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 05:07:55 AM »

I'd rather see Brian with Al's band than Al with Brian's.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 08:35:18 AM »

When Al is done, replace him with a look-a-like; Mickey Rooney, for example.

I was thinking more along the lines of the little elf from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer...  after all, they both wanted to be dentists....

Archie Gemmill???  (For the uninitiated, see http://www.gdfcartophily.co.uk/item.php/IID/285233623)

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 10:34:47 PM »

I don't think there's hardly a person alive who goes to see Brian specifically to enjoy the performance, or that would choose him over the BB's touring band just because they want to hear their favorite songs... I think most of the people that go to a Brian Wilson concert are long time fans who are well aware of his past and feel a lot of love and warmth from the man regardless of whether his voice sounds good.  To me the best part about Brian's music was the soul in it, usually when I listen to a BB's song I can hear how passionate the band is about what they're singing and the music just kind of moves you one way or the other; it's happy, it's sad, it's silly, it's childish, it's warm, it's strong, whatever the particular song is.  So in my opinion, people go to see Brian to feel his silent charisma and to be in the company of a legend, not necessarily to hear his voice.  It's always been like that, if you listen to those god-awful tapes from Long Beach in the early 80's when Brian comes on stage... he slaughters both songs, sounds worse than anybody alive could possibly sound on "Don't Worry Baby", and the crowd, when he's done, screams their heads off anyways.  People like Brian Wilson are no accident, you think some kid who grew up in Hawthorne California just coincidentally wrote some songs that moved millions of people?  Brian's purpose in life is to touch people through his music, long after his voice is gone and long after he's gone people will still be moved by what he's done.  Al would be the first one to tell you that, btw. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 06:38:46 PM »

I love the first part of your first sentence! Wink

Putting his concerts aside, I have always enjoyed his spoken interviews more than any of the others. Mainly because they are unpredictable. You just never know what version of a story he will tell or the quips he may use.

Your comment about being in the company of a legend would make for a interesting show for me. A few standards of course but a informal section of him telling a few stories about songs and maybe playing parts of those songs suggested by the audience. Nothing planned as such and only for the true BB fan. Maybe just him and Fosskett on piano and guitar. The scene of him, Carl and Audrey singing "In My Room" unplugged  on IJWMFTT was the greatest IMO.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 05:03:44 AM »

Yeah, there was an interview with him they played on XM last year (not the show, just an interview with some guy's radio show)... he had a piano and when the guy would ask him about things (the guy was a long time friend of his and asked a ton of quirky questions) Brian would play things on the piano for a few seconds.  He played like "Da doo ron ron" and sang parts of Beatles songs, it was great. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx