gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:25:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forgotten Brian Wilson Project circa 1978?  (Read 2787 times)
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2006, 06:18:59 AM »

The strangest thing happened to me last night. I went to the local pub where I usually hang out with some friends and had a conversation with a quite big Dutch producer/engineer. Being a musician myself I talked for ages, cause there was a really a lot to talk about for the two of us. Then the topic of the conversation turned to The Beach Boys stay in Holland. The place where I live is very near places where some of the Beach Boys lived back in '72 (Bloemendaal, Haarlem, Heemstede etc.) so we had a conversation about it. I told him some stuff about their stay that I had been told by the wife of the record representive of EMI in Holland who looked after the Beach Boys. She told me things about them all coming down to her house for dinner, how friendly they were, how Brian was a really sweet, silent but troubled guy she truly liked and that he was totally blown away by being shown the windmill in Santpoort-Noord, the place were they (the record execs) lived. What he told me then was something truly special that I had never heard anything about before. He told me that back in 1978 when he had just been in the music business as an arranger, key player, producer and arranger, he worked on a really special, secret project that Brian Wilson had set up. He said that Brian had written two songs and demoed them by playing most of the instruments himself. One of the songs was mostly acoustic and of them was more electric he could remember. There were only a couple of instruments, like piano, basic guitar and drums; it were really demos. And the idea for the demos that Brian had was to send them out to all the countries in the world and let some of the top musicians in each country work on the sparse demos and add their ideas and instruments and then send the tape back to LA and/or on to other countries for them to add ideas or change things a bit. In Holland the demos were given to producer Klaas Leijen and this guy I was talking with (Frido de Ligt) was the engineer on the session they did. The one session player name I truly remember is Jan Akkerman, who is like the best guitar player of the Netherlands and according to himself the best player of the entire world haha. Thet worked on it with a couple of famed session guys at a studio in the city of IJmuiden with the 16 track that they got from the Beach Boys. After they did their work on it, copies were made and locked in the vault of the studio and the original tapes were send on to a studio in Berlin and later even Tokyo. He did not recall any song titles but was pretty sure that the tapes were still out there, so he has given me the original producer's phone number. I think I will make a call this week and hope to get the complete story out there, and hopefully some music too!! But I didnt want to keep this info for my self. Cause it's an amazing thing that I had never heard of, and believe me, the guy who told me is one to trust. I'll keep you informed, but really wandered if anybody here has ever ever heard anything about such a project back in the day?! Bye Yorick
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 09:03:42 AM »

Part of the fun in being a fan of the Beach Boys undisputedly lies in coping with all the frustration rising from promising projects being abandoned.

Thanks a lot for sharing!
XY
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 11:29:28 PM »

Wow, that's amazing, Yorick!
Can't wait to read more about it!
MBE
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 05:48:15 AM »

Never heard of this but it sounds like it may be something of value.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 01:10:07 PM »

This is definitely intriguing - Please keep us posted.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 02:32:15 PM »

delete
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 02:42:42 PM by Dancing Bear » Logged

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 03:10:16 PM »

Y'know, this rings a vague bell. Time to consult some back issues of Stomp, I think.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx