gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:08:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine on "Pet Sounds" Where?  (Read 7079 times)
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2006, 11:31:07 AM »

I'm very sure it's all Brian on lead vocals of 'I'm Waiting For The Day', including the "you didn't think" tag. Brian did change his vocal tone for the second verse and it sounds tougher, but it matches the song's dynamics and tension.

Also that is Mike on the "ba ba ba" vocals on the tag of WIBN. Mike just overdubbed the "good night baby" lines (which he claimed he wrote).

I've come to the point where I can usually tell each Beach Boy from another, vocally. (Even though when I was a BBs newbie several years ago, I actually thought it was Brian singing lead on stuff like 'This Whole World'....god how far I've come!)

Al's parts on PS live would be pretty small unless Brian wanted to give away some leads (like Sloop perhaps, and certainly great swaths of 'I Know There's An Answer'). I only wish Carl were still with us; imagine HIM singing w/ Brian on PS live - 'God Only Knows'. Whew...

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2006, 05:04:01 AM »

I'm very sure it's all Brian on lead vocals of 'I'm Waiting For The Day', including the "you didn't think" tag. Brian did change his vocal tone for the second verse and it sounds tougher, but it matches the song's dynamics and tension.

I'm with you on this.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2006, 08:22:59 AM »

Isn't it the "I'm Waiting for the Day" sessions track on the Pet Sounds SOT where Brian is trying to coach Al through a segment of the lead, trying to get him to sing with more feeling, and he eventually gives up?

Haven't listened to it in a long time but I'm quite sure that it's "I know there's an answer".
The only non-Brian lead for "I'm waiting" is probably Mike's as heard on the boxset

Yup, definitely "I Know There's An Answer." IIRC, Brian and Mike were both in the control room....Brian was coaching Al specifically on pronunciation, emphasizing how it's important that every word be sung clearly...like Al was kind of schwa-ing and muting his T's on the line "Now, what can you tell them...."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 11:23:21 AM »

Yup, definitely "I Know There's An Answer." IIRC, Brian and Mike were both in the control room....Brian was coaching Al specifically on pronunciation, emphasizing how it's important that every word be sung clearly...

Yep -- Al needed to loosen-up -- & maybe he should have syncopated it a little...

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 01:31:05 PM »

Yup, definitely "I Know There's An Answer." IIRC, Brian and Mike were both in the control room....Brian was coaching Al specifically on pronunciation, emphasizing how it's important that every word be sung clearly...

Yep -- Al needed to loosen-up -- & maybe he should have syncopated it a little...

You mean right there in front of everyone?  Cool Cool
SG7
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2006, 01:14:26 PM »

On "IJWMFTT", there are six tracks of bvs. Five are entirely Brian.  Smiley

That's a little misleading, though.  True, at one point there are six simultaneous tracks of Brian, that's just during the chorus.  The rest of the time, you have Brian's doubled lead, and then on the prechorus "oohs", the boys provide doubled backing vocals, as well as the spanish question and answer under the chorus.

Talking about that "spanish" lyric, do we know what they're singing? I was trying to figure it out yesterday, but eventually gave up.  Sad

It was suppose to be I think translated back "I will be. One day I will be".

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2006, 01:32:25 PM »

On "IJWMFTT", there are six tracks of bvs. Five are entirely Brian.  Smiley

That's a little misleading, though.  True, at one point there are six simultaneous tracks of Brian, that's just during the chorus.  The rest of the time, you have Brian's doubled lead, and then on the prechorus "oohs", the boys provide doubled backing vocals, as well as the spanish question and answer under the chorus.

Talking about that "spanish" lyric, do we know what they're singing? I was trying to figure it out yesterday, but eventually gave up.  Sad

It was suppose to be I think translated back "I will be. One day I will be".

Yea that's right I think...it goes something like "cuando sere, un dia sere".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx