gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:30:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine on "Pet Sounds" Where?  (Read 7078 times)
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2006, 12:43:38 PM »

Ive been listening to "Pet Sounds" since 1971 , I just dont hear Al!
All the other boys , I hear , but not the guitar player from Lima Ohio , Alan Jardine.
Could someone point out some sections where I can hear that almost Dentist.
Keeping it clean,
Astroray

Cook pork throughly
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 12:47:55 PM »

He shares the lead on "I Know There's An Answer" with Mike.  I don't think he has any other major parts beyond that though, other than background vocals.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 01:16:35 PM »

He does the lead on the second verse of "I'm Waiting For the Day".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 01:59:10 PM »

No, that's totally Brian.

But I wonder if it's Al on WIBN doing the "ba baba ba" at the end while Mike is singing "Good night baby, sleep tight baby" or if it's just Mike overdubbed...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SG7
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 02:11:21 PM »

I hear him in IJWMFTT.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 02:24:45 PM »

But I wonder if it's Al on WIBN doing the "ba baba ba" at the end while Mike is singing "Good night baby, sleep tight baby" or if it's just Mike overdubbed...

Really? It's always sounded like Al to me.  Those two are always tough to distinguish but the second verse is sung differently than the first (which is obviously Brian).  Who knows, you're probably right.

I think you're right about the end of WIBN though. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 02:53:26 PM »

Then is Al also singing the "you didn't think" part at the end?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 02:59:35 PM »

Then is Al also singing the "you didn't think" part at the end?

I've always thought so, yea. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 03:11:18 PM »

I think the "you didn't think"-part ma very well be Al, after thinking about it, but the other parts no way imo. Brian just sung a little deeper.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 03:41:24 PM »

Looks like Al will not have much to do on Brian's "Pet Sounds" Tour.

Cook pork throughly
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 04:05:18 PM »

I think Al's voice will be used to support or"double" Brian's in places, I can definitely see this on stuff like WIBN and You Still Believe, and can see them alternating on Waiting for the Day
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 04:12:31 PM »

I guess it's safe to say that Al will sing "Sloop John B"

- Jack Rieley
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 05:01:10 PM »

Well, don't forget all those guitar parts he played on the album sessions!  LOL

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 05:53:54 PM »

It's Brian singing the lead throughout on "I'm Waiting for the Day."  Brian had a very versatile voice and he was able to push it and sound much different than when he would ease a lead.  Take something like "Please Let Me Wonder" Vs. "You're So Good to Me" or something.  Al is all over the place on the PS backing vocals.  Obviously his showcase is "Answer" but he's very prominent on Sloop as well. 
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 07:27:35 PM »

Really? It's always sounded like Al to me.  Those two are always tough to distinguish but the second verse is sung differently than the first (which is obviously Brian).  Who knows, you're probably right.

I think you're right about the end of WIBN though. 
Isn't it the "I'm Waiting for the Day" sessions track on the Pet Sounds SOT where Brian is trying to coach Al through a segment of the lead, trying to get him to sing with more feeling, and he eventually gives up?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 02:33:36 AM »

I once saw a list somewhere of the songs on Pet Sounds (besides obviously Caroline No and the instrumentals) that none of the Beach Boys except Brian had anything to do with... Does anyone know which songs those were?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 03:06:59 AM »

I once saw a list somewhere of the songs on Pet Sounds (besides obviously Caroline No and the instrumentals) that none of the Beach Boys except Brian had anything to do with... Does anyone know which songs those were?

I guess "Don't talk"  Wink

Isn't it the "I'm Waiting for the Day" sessions track on the Pet Sounds SOT where Brian is trying to coach Al through a segment of the lead, trying to get him to sing with more feeling, and he eventually gives up?

Haven't listened to it in a long time but I'm quite sure that it's "I know there's an answer".
The only non-Brian lead for "I'm waiting" is probably Mike's as heard on the boxset

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 03:36:01 AM »

I guess Taylor Mills never has anything to do, using that logic.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 04:28:24 AM »

I guess "Don't talk"  Wink

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure there were also a few songs on Pet Sounds with 'group' vocals that Brian did entirely on his own.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 04:54:26 AM »

Not entirely. He did very much on "I just wasn't made for these times" but the other boys are on there doing that spanish thing.
The not used "Don't talk"-backing vocals are only Brian. But the boys are all over the record, except the ones you mentioned.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 12:24:04 PM »

On "IJWMFTT", there are six tracks of bvs. Five are entirely Brian.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 02:50:14 PM »

That's a little misleading, though.  True, at one point there are six simultaneous tracks of Brian, that's just during the chorus.  The rest of the time, you have Brian's doubled lead, and then on the prechorus "oohs", the boys provide doubled backing vocals, as well as the spanish question and answer under the chorus.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 04:18:28 AM »

Come to think of it... It's pretty funny that songs like Let's Go Away For Awhile and Pet Sounds are Beach Boys songs, as in 'performed by the Beach Boys', while none of the Beach Boys are actually performing artists on the songs.
MBE
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2006, 05:46:13 AM »

Smile was much more of a group project vocally anyhow. I think Brian, Mike, Carl, Al, Bruce, and Dennis are the order as far as who is most prominent on Pet Sounds. Dennis' support of Brian at the time was quite important even if he is not really heard.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2006, 06:48:42 AM »

That's a little misleading, though.  True, at one point there are six simultaneous tracks of Brian, that's just during the chorus.  The rest of the time, you have Brian's doubled lead, and then on the prechorus "oohs", the boys provide doubled backing vocals, as well as the spanish question and answer under the chorus.

Talking about that "spanish" lyric, do we know what they're singing? I was trying to figure it out yesterday, but eventually gave up.  Sad

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx