gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:19:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weird Al's Smile parody released today!  (Read 10825 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2006, 12:20:57 PM »

So go out and buy Straight Outta Lynwood so you can hear "Pancreas".  Smiley
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 04:21:16 PM »

I'm listening to Pancreas right now.  It's like the perfect distillation of Pet Sounds and SMiLE.  And just a little funny, too. Smiley  Maybe Al can join Al and Brian on tour and perform the song.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 08:20:06 PM »

And (Weird) Al can play accordion on Wouldn't It Be Nice. Pancreas is awesome, love the end of it. Loving Polkarama as well.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 11:09:45 PM »

I'm very impressed!  I have a hunch that a lot of people who buy the album won't "get" the song or what it's modeled after and wind up skipping over it in favor of the parodies of more modern stuff, but that's OK...
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 03:46:29 AM »

Weird Al is a guest on www.tomgreen.com tonight, a live talk show broadcasting globally on WEB-O-VISION!  Anyway, its a call-in talk show, so if you were interested in his inspiration for the song or how he was influenced by Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys, you could ask him personally.  It airs live at 11 pm EST.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 07:33:40 AM »

I'm very impressed!  I have a hunch that a lot of people who buy the album won't "get" the song or what it's modeled after and wind up skipping over it in favor of the parodies of more modern stuff, but that's OK...

Yeah, I popped the cd in my friends' car when I got it yesterday and when he heard it right after he heard "White and Nerdy", I saw a confused look on his face at first, haha. What's even better is on the dvd side "Al in the studio" you get to see Al and his band work on Pancreas (and other songs as well), really cool. Al played piano, harpsichord, vibraphone, tannernin, accordion, harmonica, bass harmonica, and toy piano alone on Pancreas.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 07:35:25 AM by Don't Back Down » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 08:20:41 AM »

It is HILARIOUS stuff -- there's bits there that sound more like 70s Brian than Smile, probably accidentally, but it gives the whole venture an even cooler vibe than Weird Al probably intended.

The record on a whole is hilarious -- the "Trapped in the Closet" parody had me rolling.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 09:17:26 AM »

You can hear it in full:

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/weirdalyankovic/albums/album/11773243/straight_outta_lynwood

On the bottom there's a playlist.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 02:54:50 PM »

U.S. Only
We're sorry. We have detected that you are outside of the United States. This service is currently only available to residents within the United States.

Angry
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 03:45:45 PM »

I heard the promotional copy today. I now own it. The Program Director and I had a laugh, and he got the joke. All harmonies performed by Al, which is a formidable feat in itself. nice listening , full of many inside musical winks...I love the 'vegetables' take-off in the middle.   PMcC

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 03:47:20 PM »

.....make that the 'wind chimes' parody in the middle. (I gotta get my 'Smile' straight)

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 05:39:29 PM »

I think Weird Al should coproduce Brian's next album. He really seems to grasp Brian's methods and melodic bass lines! Now why can't all these bands claiming to be Beach Boys influenced release a record with that sound?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 06:34:10 PM »

U.S. Only
We're sorry. We have detected that you are outside of the United States. This service is currently only available to residents within the United States.

Angry

If you were a true fan, you would've moved to the US long ago.  Your level of dedication just isn't enough to compete here on the SmileySmile board.

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 07:33:48 PM »

You can listen to the whole thing on Napster, without paying. Just register for the site. Also, that song is AWESOME. Dead on Brian imitation. Weird Al is great.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 08:01:59 PM »

Weird Al is a guest on www.tomgreen.com tonight, a live talk show broadcasting globally on WEB-O-VISION!  Anyway, its a call-in talk show, so if you were interested in his inspiration for the song or how he was influenced by Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys, you could ask him personally.  It airs live at 11 pm EST.

Well, if anybody cares...its on...or maybe you don't and Im just a schill...in which case...suck it!

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 03:15:14 AM »

And I Thought he was dead!   Roll Eyes
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 01:33:10 PM »

"Pancreas" is playing on my university's radio right now

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 01:51:22 PM »

Oh my god, this song is amazing! It's great! Supreme! I'm going to keep on listening until all my free plays are gone.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 10:15:51 PM »

Oh my god, this song is amazing! It's great! Supreme! I'm going to keep on listening until all my free plays are gone.
On Rhapsody, if you move the progress slider back to the beginning of the song before the song ends, that only counts as one play.  When there's a song I'm thinking of buying, I just play it 5 or 6 times to see if it bears repeated listens.  But I only use one play by just starting the song over before it ends.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 09:24:36 AM »

To be honest, the song is smartly done....but i dont find it funny at all.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2006, 09:48:41 PM »

To be honest, the song is smartly done....but i dont find it funny at all.

I agree with that sentiment...I didn't find it funny so much, I was more impressed just at the mere fact that he was able to write a song about his pancreas and have it come off as well as it does.  With all the musical complexity involved it amazes me that he can put it together with the subject matter like that.  I've always found that about Al...whether you find him funny or not, there's no denying how clever he can be. 
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 08:27:17 AM »

On a non-BB forum I'm on, the concensus is:

Straight Outta Lynwood is one of Al's best albums, and

- "Pancreas" is just not that great a song. Even someone who is a BW fan said he didn't care for "Pancreas" because, well, a four-minute song going on about the pancreas just gets kind of old -- and I can dig that. But to be honest with you, when I listened to "Pancreas," I was too focused on the Brian parody/tribute to even notice....man, he put in EVERYTHING! Just brilliant!

I've been a Weird Al fan since "Eat It" came out....I NEED to catch up -- I still haven't gotten Poodle Hat. Hopefully Amazon will have one of those "get these two together" specials....

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2006, 09:37:16 AM »

If anybody still cares about this, the video is on youtube for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrXUVSxeZYQ

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2006, 12:15:05 PM »

thanks for posting the video.

my favorite part about this song (other than the acurate musical arrangements) are the anatomically correct descriptions of the functions of the pancreas. weird al has totally got his sh*t together

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 03:24:25 PM »

from the Nov. 2 issue of Rolling Stone:

MY LIST - Weird Al Yankovic

Brian Wilson "Vega Tables"
Yankovic, who played accordion on a shelved Wilson track, says the 37-year wait for 'SMiLE' was worth it.  "It's just amazing," he says. "I have to give a nod to any song that encourages you to eat your vegetables."

what "shelved Wilson track" did he play on???
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx