gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:59:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Compiling the best live BB Pet Sounds  (Read 8531 times)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2006, 02:13:24 PM »

OK, I don't have a complete BB collection, neither legit nor boots...but I thought it might be fun to compile as complete a live version of Pet Sounds by the group as possible.

Can y'all help?  I'll get us started:
1. Wouldn't It Be Nice - there's a bunch;  which version is best?
2. You Still Believe In Me - this is on the double live LP from the 70s, no?
3. That's Not Me - is there a live one?
4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) - Indianapolis '74, right?  That one sound realllly nice...
5. I'm Waiting For The Day - is there a live one?
6. Let's Go Away For Awhile  - is there a live one?
7. Sloop John B  - there's a bunch;  which version is best?
8. God Only Knows  - there's a bunch;  which version is best?
9. I Know There's An Answer
10. Here Today  - is there a live one?
11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
12. Pet Sounds  - is there a live one?
13. Caroline No - I seem to recall hearing about one, but what's available?

Obviously, I'm not counting the Brian solo versions.

BB fans,  gimme your best!

-Onkster
Jason
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 02:17:31 PM »

1. Wouldn't It Be Nice - plenty
2. You Still Believe In Me - plenty
3. That's Not Me - no dice
4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) - two sources
5. I'm Waiting For The Day - a few from '75 with Billy Hinsche on vocals
6. Let's Go Away For Awhile  - nope
7. Sloop John B  - plenty
8. God Only Knows  - plenty
9. I Know There's An Answer - nope
10. Here Today  - nope
11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times - nope
12. Pet Sounds  - nope
13. Caroline No - plenty
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 02:18:03 PM »

They did "I'm waiting for the day" live with Billy Hinsche singing lead and it sounds great, though the quality isn't the best.
Did they really perform "Don't talk"? Where can I get this?

I think you can pick almost every PS-Song from the "In Concert" album and put it on here, though "Caroline No" from Syracuse in '71 is also really, really nice. The best version of GOK is imho the one from "Live in London". But many songs were only done by Brian and his band live, I believe

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 02:20:11 PM »

WIBN from Live In London
YSBIM from In Concert
SJB from In Concert
GOK from Live In London
CN from In Concert

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 02:24:07 PM »

So, what boots can I find "I'm Waiting for the Day" on?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 02:42:36 PM »

I'm Waiting For The Day should've been an opener.

Imagine it.

The Lights Dim. The crowd settles. General noise level raised after some moments. You see Dennis arrive on stage. You hear the lone explosion of his drums. The rest of the band assembles. The songs bursts in.

Ahhhhhh

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 02:53:49 PM »

My favorite live version of "God Only Knows" is from a Farm Aid Live compilation CD. The CD was released in 2000 but I think the performance dates from 1986. It's a very clean track, you can hear all the instruments and background vocals, and of course, Carl's lead is spectacular.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 03:53:06 PM »

So, what boots can I find "I'm Waiting for the Day" on?

Long Last Surf Songs 5. Same place for Don't Talk AND In The Back Of My Mind live in 75.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 05:11:02 AM »

I gotta correct myself. I think I would take "Caroline No" from the '93 Paramount -show

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 07:13:18 AM »

I LOVE the version of You Still Believe in Me from Syracuse 1971.  I would use that over the In Concert version.
Jason
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 07:15:58 AM »

I gotta correct myself. I think I would take "Caroline No" from the '93 Paramount -show

You should hear Carl's rendition of it at Carnegie Hall on 9/24/71. Spine-tingling. Puts the Paramount show to shame.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 07:24:37 AM »

You could probably build the ultimate PS live using tracks from 1971 as the preferred source where possible and turn out OK.  It wasn't always the best recorded time ever (Fillmore East could have been great, the horns sound fabulous, but the mix is poor even if fidelity is better), but 1971 was the peak for the live band.  Yes, Ricky and Blondie added a great feel and gave the band an extra few years of greatness before Endless Bummer killed the artistic drive of the band once and for all.  But 1971 was it -- the shows were amazing.  The whole Pet Sounds section of Syracuse is lovely, one of my favorite stretches of concert music by them.  In the same show, Cool Cool Water is a startling experiment that I wish I had been there to see, or at least had someone tape, and Rhonda kicks serious butt in that show.  Princeton 1971 is even more amazing in many ways -- *7* songs from a new album, the show *opened* with Good Vibrations, and hardly any oldies in sight.  Plus, I think that Bruce's best contributions to the band musically on stage came here with his B3 playing.  And the horns were great too.
Jason
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 07:30:00 AM »

Princeton 1971 is even more amazing in many ways -- *7* songs from a new album, the show *opened* with Good Vibrations, and hardly any oldies in sight.

May I point you in the direction of a 12/3/71 show in Long Beach, CA? Virtually the same set as Princeton, but with a few extra songs. 2 oldies, Surfin' USA and Fun, Fun, Fun.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 08:08:53 AM »

Princeton 1971 is even more amazing in many ways -- *7* songs from a new album, the show *opened* with Good Vibrations, and hardly any oldies in sight.

May I point you in the direction of a 12/3/71 show in Long Beach, CA? Virtually the same set as Princeton, but with a few extra songs. 2 oldies, Surfin' USA and Fun, Fun, Fun.

Not familiar with that one.  How does the tape sound?  And is it acquirable?  Sounds great.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 04:36:01 AM »

You should hear Carl's rendition of it at Carnegie Hall on 9/24/71. Spine-tingling. Puts the Paramount show to shame.

So, where can I ?  Smiley
I know the Carnegie Hall concert from 11/23/1972, but there's no Caroline No, but a very nice GOK, but not their best rendition of that song....
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 08:17:03 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 08:09:34 AM »

Does the fake Lei'd GOK count? I love that one.

Watch out for snakes!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx