gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:30:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: There's a first time for everything, right?  (Read 3248 times)
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2006, 03:54:04 PM »

Beach Boys hard to miss in Vegas this Christmas. I can't recall the group ever appearing for one week straight at the same place anywhere or anytime, much less Christmas week.  Wow, giving up Christmas at this late stage. Must really be lucrative.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 04:20:10 PM »

I knew there was another good reason we moved to Vegas last month.  I guess this is it.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 11:24:32 PM »

I saw that...Christmas Day through New Year's Eve!  Wow, that must be rough for the families.

I don't recall there ever being another concert on Christmas Day....Thanksgiving yes, Christmas, I don't think so.  Does anyone know if they've ever performed on Christmas Day (or even Christmas Eve!) before?

I've been in Las Vegas on a family vacation once, and it just didn't seem like Christmas.  I'm not much of a Vegas person.
Bob Hanes
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 12:02:28 AM »

Well, Mike is nearly at home. 
There was a tradition until just before Carl died that the entire "extended family" would get together in Vegas on New Years to "let by gones be bygones.
Marilyn and Daniel attended one year, together.  No Brian, but others showed.
It had started many, many years before. It was, as it was explained to me, sort of the anti-thanksgiving, where instead of getting drunk and pissing everyone off, everyone was on their very best behavior to try and start the New Year correctly.  As friends!
Was David Marks ever in attendance or was it just family?  Does anyone know?
Maybe it was the Wilson/Love clan and divorcee's, I just don't know.
anywhoo it sort of dove-tails into the "kiss and make up" of the past few months to dust it off and even make it something bigger.
obviously I really know nothing, but I had a keyboard in front of me......

The Right Reverend, Left Leaning Bob, Dumb Angel Chapel, Church of the Harmonic Over-dub
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 03:52:05 AM »

I saw that...Christmas Day through New Year's Eve!  Wow, that must be rough for the families.

I don't recall there ever being another concert on Christmas Day....Thanksgiving yes, Christmas, I don't think so.  Does anyone know if they've ever performed on Christmas Day (or even Christmas Eve!) before?

Houston, TX - 12/24/64.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 09:16:36 AM »

Houston, TX - 12/24/64.
Thanks!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 10:31:28 AM »

Christmas Eve now would be pushing it. The exact dates are Dec. 25 through Dec.31, 2006 at the Luxor.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 11:44:27 AM »

Houston, TX - 12/24/64.

That date has to be pretty close to Brian's "I gotta get off this plane and go home" episode.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 07:31:36 AM »

The day after.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 07:20:54 PM »

I've never been totally convinced that the December '64 concert occurred in Houston. I know what the books say, and I know the guys have always mentioned Houston (or sometimes just "Texas") as where they were heading on that famous flight. But I grew up in Houston and lived there for many years (and was 11 years old and listening to KILT and KNUZ radio like crazy at the time), and I don't remember hearing about a Beach Boys concert around Christmas that year. The main reason I've doubted it is that a few years ago I looked in the Houston Public Library at the microfilm of both the Houston Chronicle and the Houston Post, and there is no mention (in news or advertising) of a Beach Boys concert during that time. It's not like they didn't advertise rock concerts then, because there's plenty about a Dave Clark 5 show.  And I could easily see the guys not remembering exactly which town it was, and getting it mixed up with Dallas or somewhere and never thinking twice about it afterward.

On the other hand, the photo of Glen Campbell with the band, supposedly taken that night, does look like the inside of the old Sam Houston Coliseum, but ... I just don't know.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 07:58:38 PM »

On the other hand, the photo of Glen Campbell with the band, supposedly taken that night, does look like the inside of the old Sam Houston Coliseum, but ... I just don't know.

The concert in question was December, 1964. Didn't Glen Campbell only join the group on the road in 1965?
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 08:34:11 PM »

The concert in question was December, 1964. Didn't Glen Campbell only join the group on the road in 1965?
According to the Badman book, Brian played the 12/23/64 show in Houston, then flew home, and Glen filled in for the first time the following night. The book also says they played two separate places next door to each other in the same city (Music Hall and the Sam Houston Coliseum, the former a smaller hall, the latter a huge one) on consecutive nights, which makes no sense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 08:45:18 PM »

According to the Badman book, Brian played the 12/23/64 show in Houston, then flew home, and Glen filled in for the first time the following night. The book also says they played two separate places next door to each other in the same city (Music Hall and the Sam Houston Coliseum, the former a smaller hall, the latter a huge one) on consecutive nights, which makes no sense.

I didn't read the Badman book, and did not know that Glen Campbell played with the band that early (1964). You learn something new every day on the old Smiley Smile message board.  Thanks for the info!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx