gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681103 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:21:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Japan (the group, not the country)  (Read 2948 times)
Mithras
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2006, 01:06:12 AM »

Your opinions on this group?

Last week someone introduced me to their song "Ghosts" from their final album "Tin Drum", what an unsusual song! Pretty amazing that tracks like these were hit singles in 1981....

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 06:48:50 AM by Mithras » Logged
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 10:30:12 AM »

One of my favorite bands of all time. You cannot go wrong with their final three albums -- "Quiet Life," "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" and "Tin Drum." The latter is especially strange. In the first two, you see the roots of what would eventually become New Romantic music. The latter, though, is an odd amalgam of new wave and asian influences, and as such is very very odd. But all very cool.

David Sylvian, the singer, has a lot of great solo material too -- pretty much anything that's not an ambient instrumental album is fantastic, and even those, if you're into such things, are cool.
Mithras
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 06:20:46 AM »

Thanks, Old Rake!

I recently bought exactly these three classic albums you mentioned plus "Oil On Canvas", their ī83 live  swan song.

What a great band, each of them is a fantastic player. Especially of course Mick Karn on bass,  but each one is a great musician (Richard Barbieri on keyboards and Steve Jansen on drums are exellent).  And David Sylvain is unique, no question...

How are the two earlier efforts ( didnīt hear anything good about them so i skipped them) and their reunion effort "Rain Tree Crow" from 1991?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx