gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:06:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keyboard sounds on the "Wild Honey" LP  (Read 10785 times)
audiodrome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2006, 08:42:37 AM »

Is there any info on how Brian got that great distinctive "chorusy" piano sound on the Wild Honey album? It's especially prominent on "Darlin" and "Aren't You Glad."

I have also been thinking about how many great keyboard sounds Brian utilized during the '65-'67 period - Pet Sounds alone has so many cool and different organ sounds. During this time, you mostly only heard the standard Hammond, Farfisa, and Vox sounds, but Brian was using the Lowrey, Baldwin and other distinctive organs to great effect (along with many other keyboard sounds) during this time.

Paul
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 09:12:00 AM »

Is there any info on how Brian got that great distinctive "chorusy" piano sound on the Wild Honey album? It's especially prominent on "Darlin" and "Aren't You Glad."

It is done by detuning the piano strings.  Each pitch on a piano has a few strings assigned to it, and if you take one or two of the strings in a pitch grouping down a few cents, it sounds chorusy.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 11:07:40 AM by aeijtzsche » Logged
Evenreven
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 10:54:53 AM »

I loved the sound Smajda got when he did that with his piano.

Smajda, if you read this, could you please upload your Smiley version of Wonderful again? That was rad.
Chris D.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 11:02:52 AM »

It done by detuning the piano strings.

From now on, can you please only use broken English when speaking of the technical aspects of recordings and the recording process?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 11:06:58 AM »

I be please to use broke english as describe technology you for.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 11:41:56 AM »

I love the cheesy organ in Wild Honey and How She Boogalooed it.

Watch out for snakes!
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 11:54:40 AM »

Smajda, if you read this, could you please upload your Smiley version of Wonderful again? That was rad.

I'd like to hear that.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
audiodrome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 05:27:51 PM »

It is done by detuning the piano strings.  Each pitch on a piano has a few strings assigned to it, and if you take one or two of the strings in a pitch grouping down a few cents, it sounds chorusy.

That makes sense because it seems Brian always arrived at his "cool" sounds organically rather than electronically like the Beatles.

Paul
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 09:09:08 PM »

What's really amazing to me is that Brian did all these things manually, and it takes me hours to get a similiar sound digititally! :D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 09:39:18 PM »

Keep in mind the detuned piano is not something he "arrived" at, but is simply a fairly standard-sounding tuning used in Hollywood at the time, and his piano tuner did it manually, not Brian himself.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 09:41:41 PM »

Close enough, though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
audiodrome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 05:56:55 AM »

I was just talking in general terms...

Paul
Evenreven
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 06:38:05 AM »

I'd like to hear that.
Looks like Smajda hasn't joined the new board yet. We can pm him when he does, I'm sure he will eventually.
Or maybe it's on my computer somewhere. I'll look for it.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 07:22:39 AM »

He's on the Smile Shop board occasionally.
Evenreven
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 07:31:41 AM »

Good point. He rarely posts there, but he did less than a week ago I think.

(edit: pm sent to Smajda.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 07:34:18 AM by Evenreven » Logged
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 08:46:04 AM »

There might be more to that keyboard sound on Aren't You Glad than the detuned piano. The detuned is giving it the chorusey sound, yes, but there is something else too. I thought it was uke for a while, but now I'm not sure.
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 09:12:30 AM »

Keep in mind the detuned piano is not something he "arrived" at, but is simply a fairly standard-sounding tuning used in Hollywood at the time, and his piano tuner did it manually, not Brian himself.

Digital is too constricted, for me at least.  I don't care what digital software you throw at keyboards and other audio things when making music...you can't compete with Moogs loaded with dials, organs in a 60's BW studio or other things during that era.   Keith Emerson tried a million different things with digital to recreate his Moog early 70's sounds...couldn't do it.  Was much easier to rebuild the Moog and run it as he's always run it...like a 1930's patchboard operator at the telephone company.

Feh.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2006, 10:17:30 AM »

I read that Brian would hum the pitch of each note in the octave for the piano tuner to follow by.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2006, 03:34:18 PM »

There might be more to that keyboard sound on Aren't You Glad than the detuned piano. The detuned is giving it the chorusey sound, yes, but there is something else too. I thought it was uke for a while, but now I'm not sure.

Yeah, it's such a strange sound.  Palm Muted Ukelele, heavily damped Vibes, piano with string taped...lot's of possibilities.
Mr. Smajda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 11:35:22 AM »

Oooo, here's the piano thingey I recorded.

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=2894318
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 11:53:20 AM »

This is amazing! It sounds exactly like Brian playing on the S0T 18 CD! So, Smadja, all you did was find a weird way to tune your piano like Brian had his tuned?

Are you playing a tack piano?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Mr. Smajda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2006, 12:50:11 PM »

It's really really really really extremely easy to make any piano sound like that.

One each piano for each note, you'll have one two or three strings for a single key.  Most of them are in ones and twos on the first twenty or so keys and from the middle and higher you'll have three strings for each note.  All of them have to be perfectly in tune with eachother in order to sound like a normal piano.  However, say on the note C, you have three strings.  Slightly lower or raise one of those three strings out of tune (you'd usually leave the middle string alone) and you get a sort of warped effect on the note (there's a better term for it); AKA the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey piano sound.  You can make any piano sound like that within five to ten minutes, however I only did the notes in the song so it took like five for me.  It's easy to bring the piano back to normal mode quickly too.

You don't really detune the piano, but you detune the unisons of the individual notes.
Mr. Smajda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2006, 12:52:27 PM »

I read that Brian would hum the pitch of each note in the octave for the piano tuner to follow by.
That's balogna stuff.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2006, 04:35:23 PM »

I wonder what made Brian go for that sound? Maybe he thought it sounded more druggy?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Evenreven
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2006, 04:44:44 AM »

It sounds more old-timey. Remember, tack pianos were very much in vogue in 1967, and it was not really because of drugs. On the SMiLE sessions, it was likely part of the western saloon/cantina theme of Heroes & Villains (remember Van Dyke's description of SMiLE as "American quilt work") - and from there it spread to the rest of SMiLE.

In short, I believe detuned pianos having to do with drugs is a red herring. My two cents.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx