gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:34:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Found PS on Vinyl finally!  (Read 4265 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2006, 10:07:47 PM »

the holy grail, found twice. i found an original release today for 7$ which i purchased...along with a still-in-the wrap Best of the Beach Boys which released after PS. I also found a still in-the-wrap re-release of PS from 1999, is this rare? I also purchased smiley smile, Today!, Friends, and Summer Days all on vinyl; I'm a happy camper.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 03:59:02 AM »

I go record shopping at least once every week and I've been in dozens of second hand record stores and at record fairs since I became a serious Beach Boys fan about two/three years ago, but so far I've NEVER seen a single copy of Pet Sounds on vinyl anywhere. I've gone through many hundreds of best of compilations, dozens of 15 Big Ones* and several copies of pretty much everything else, but so far... No Pet Sounds.

* I'm pretty sure 15 Big Ones is in the top 10 of records most often sold to second hand record stores.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 04:00:42 AM »

Oh, I did see the Simply Vinyl re-issue a few times, but that doesn't count.
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 05:27:39 AM »

It's difficult to come by at record shops, and I imagine it would be VERY expensive if you found one (punkinhead, it looks like you found yourself a great deal!), as record stores generally have a tendency to overprice things. The only copy I've ever seen at a record store was a duophonic for $25.00 (which is overpriced a bit, but not insanely overpriced like I would expect a mono pressing to be).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 06:19:19 AM »

It's difficult to come by at record shops, and I imagine it would be VERY expensive if you found one (punkinhead, it looks like you found yourself a great deal!), as record stores generally have a tendency to overprice things. The only copy I've ever seen at a record store was a duophonic for $25.00 (which is overpriced a bit, but not insanely overpriced like I would expect a mono pressing to be).

I picked up my original issue mono vinyl "Pet Sounds" used, in VG condition,  for $8.00 about four years ago...must've been at a record swap here in town (Omaha), 'cause even though I'm sure I've seen it at Rockaway in Mesa, Arizona, it would probably be priced between $25-$80 there.  But if you're ever in Mesa, that would be a good place to look.   Phoenix and L.A. both have lots of good second-hand shops.  However, if that doesn't work, and the local record swap meets don't work, your best bet would be e-bay.

C-Man
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 07:01:06 AM »

i was very fortunate to say the least. ive been searching for a long time as well. one of my friends who likes BB, but is more a commercial/greatest hits fan found it a while ago and i was completely jelous. his BB collection consists of PS, Endless Summer, Spirit of America, and Best of the BB (66); catch my drift?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 07:09:52 AM »

forgot to say i found MIU on 8-track but it was too much for what they were asking, it came with a bunch of other crappy 8-tracks. i dont think anyone would really be excited about finding this except me...almost the same when saying i kinda like Superman 3

~post of the century~
-Mikie

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 01:23:26 PM »

I don't understand how it can be so hard to find... It was a top 10 album pretty much everywhere, so it's not exactly obscure...
SurferGirl7
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 02:05:55 PM »

I never needed to look. My mom brought a duophonic one when it came out. That is why I am here today  Grin
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 08:09:12 AM »

Today was a good day. I found Pet Sounds on vinyl for 7 euros and the Rarities LP for 10.
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 09:51:11 AM »

I got it for $1.00 last fall...they used to have a dollar bin for bad comdition LP's...yes its scratchy but it nice to have...an original 66 Canadian pressing...it says "MONOPHONIC" on the label.

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 01:34:11 PM »

Here's what I've paid for my rarer titles, all during this millenium:

Pet Sounds Mono, Capitol: $10 bucks
CATP/ PS: $12 bucks (better than the Cap one, hands down)
Song Cycle: $10 bucks
Sunflower: $20 bucks

and as the other thread attests and I wanna brag some more: POB for 4.99 (a buck less for club discount)

Are you referring to the 1999 Stereo Remix on LP. Punkin? That was all over the place in 1999 in trendy shops.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 02:13:58 PM »

I haven't seriously vinyl shopped in a decade...but I can tell you that in the nineties mono Pet Sounds in nice condition were not that hard to find...you could pay 15 bucks and get a beautiful one in the shrink. The 70's reissue with the peanuts on the back cover was everywhere too for a while...and confused a lot of people. It was a bit harder to find one with the original photos on the back and rainbow label...a bit harder still to find the mono...but nothing a couple of days search through the shops in Northern or Southern California wouldn't solve. If they are truly scarce now...then its because of the late popularity of said title. I'm a big vinyl guy...orig. records are the best way to hear most things in context. But for me Pet Sounds was the exception. I never liked how the mono(or duo) vinyl sounded...too dense for these ears. The stereo CD mix from the nineties is still my favorite way to hear Pet Sounds...or my favorite way to appreciate its beauty. Until then PS was not even in my top 5 fave BB's LP's...and I'd been listening to them since '63. Once I heard that stereo version it finally hit the sweet spot in my soul. Magic. It was like putting reading glasses on my ears...it cleared the whole thing up.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 04:42:20 AM »

Sunflower: $20 bucks

I've got two copies of Sunflower on vinyl in perfect shape, one was 5 and one was 2 euros... Both are from a 1980 re-pressing though.

Some other things I got yesterday:
Carl Wilson - S/t LP for 17 euros
Mike Love - Looking Back With Love for 14
Beach Boys - 1966-1969 DoLP for 15
Brian Wilson - Smile DoLP for 20
Brian Wilson - Our Prayer (Freeform Reform) clear 10" for 10
Beach Boys - I Just Wasn't Made For These Times 7" (on Sub Pop) for 15
Beach Boys - Brian's Back bootleg CD (mostly 15 Big Ones & Love You outtakes) for 12
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 04:45:06 AM by shelter » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 11:08:15 AM »

yes, beckner, it's the same one you refer to. unfortunatly, in Indiana, it sucks tryin to find BB vinyls...yet easy to find Beatle vinyls

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 06:47:41 PM »

it sucks tryin to find BB vinyls...yet easy to find Beatle vinyls

Well wanna arrange to trade lives? I got the BBs LPs i want from this town. You can have Holland, and 15BO.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 08:08:53 PM »

already got those two. ive got an antique place that has all beatle vinyl rarities...radio promos, solo rarities...a freaking harry nilsson album with ringo on it from some movie...but im into the real rarities and real band: BB. i did find Sgt. pepper for 10$ in Seattle once, i thought it was a real rarity...havnt seen it since.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx