gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 07:30:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brians Home recordings  (Read 3125 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2006, 09:38:52 AM »

I'm aware there is a lot of audio and video recordings brian made of his friends and himself during the smile sessions.

Is there anywhere i can view or listen to these

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 05:41:31 PM »

I'm aware there is a lot of audio and video recordings brian made of his friends and himself during the smile sessions.

I doubt there are any 'video' recordings from 1967 of Brian and his friends. Did Brian make home movies on a 16 mm camera?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
XY
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 09:55:48 PM »

I doubt there are any 'video' recordings from 1967 of Brian and his friends. Did Brian make home movies on a 16 mm camera?

He got one of the first Sony Video Cameras in 1966/67 and allegedly filmed hours and hours of footage. The video world was still black & white back then. Another Holy Grail from the frist SMILE epoch.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 09:56:45 PM by Jasper » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 11:30:25 PM »

He got the video in December 1966, and this indirectly gave rise to one of the better BB myths. The Bryon Preiss book made reference to Brian playing 'Johnny Carson' with his guests of the time, that is playing at being Carson and interviewing them with his new toy. And of course, someone misunderstood it and assumed that the song "Johnny Carson" dated from the Smile era. Took a good few years to stamp on that one.  Cheesy

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
holeypeacoat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 07:18:39 AM »

The Bryon Preiss book made reference to Brian playing 'Johnny Carson' with his guests of the time, that is playing at being Carson and interviewing them with his new toy.

Jesus, I'd like to see that.  I'd bet beans he had Mike Vosse in the co-chair. "Hi-ooooooo!, Yyyesss!" LOL
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 07:57:38 AM »

In the new book 'catch a wave' it states he got it of capitol records as a gift

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 09:52:06 AM »

... Brian playing 'Johnny Carson' with his guests of the time, that is playing at being Carson and interviewing them with his new toy.

Didn't Kramer once do the same damn thing in his apartment? Built a set and everything. One more bit of evidence of the Brian Wilson Influence On Pop Culture.
holeypeacoat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 12:35:52 PM »

Not to get too far off track but, he did indeed. He used the Merv Griffin set...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjMeZNkCjzY
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 12:56:29 PM »

If anybody here owns Paul Williams' book How Deep Is The Ocean, he talks about hanging out with Brian and the boys in December of '66, and he mentions that Sony camera Brian got (a gift from Capitol, yes) and has some friends, including Paul, interviewed on camera.

His brief visit with Brian is pretty interesting; he gets high on a hookah with Brian in that infamous tent (where he also plays Paul some acetates of Smile tracks); hangs out with Brian at night in that warm pool of his; goes with Brian to a recording studio with the Beach Boys and ends up on the studio floor, making animal noises (naturally). I love his recounting of Carl breaking a 45 of Spencer Davis Group's 'Gimme Some Lovin' single over his knee 'cause it was remixed for American radio and thus ruined the song for Carl. Made me smile.

Great book.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx