gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:28:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's this ?  (Read 10490 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2006, 11:24:40 AM »

So will must we expect that Mike sues again?

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/09/20/1867108.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 01:13:01 PM »

Heres the story....

Beach Boy Mike Love stays positive

By MIKE ROSS -- Edmonton Sun

"So there!"

Thus ends a chat with Mike Love of the Beach Boys, who has been repeatedly called to defend himself against, among other things, the idea that he's the Salieri to Brian Wilson's Mozart.

Love may also go down in history as the most litigious member of the legendary American group, the latest form of which has no one named "Wilson" yet will perform all the hits as if time itself stopped in 1966 at the Shaw Conference Centre tonight. Love currently has two separate cases pending against former Beach Boys original members Brian Wilson and Al Jardine, and remains very protective of all things Beach Boys.

(The original group was rounded out by Brian's brothers Dennis, who drowned in 1983, and Carl, who succumbed to lung cancer in 1998.)

Love is asked what he thinks of the "new" version of Good Vibrations that can be heard on Wilson's recent Smile rerelease - a director's cut of the song that can be likened to George Lucas adding new effects to Star Wars, which was just fine the way it was. Love says that Good Vibrations was just fine the way it was.

"I'm biased towards the original recordings and the original composition of the group," he says. "So I look askance at any other thing. Brian's been known to say the group he works with now is better than the Beach Boys, and personally I think A., that's not a good thing to say about your departed brothers and B., I don't think it's accurate. I take exception to that. So there!"

He's laughing when he says that, however, and seems to dig the idea of leading this article with his "so there!" In fact, while several thorny issues were dealt with in a phone interview yesterday, Love never once got riled up. Credit transcendental meditation for that - have a "calm mind and warm heart" as he says he was told by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Love, the rest of the Beach Boys and another popular band of the day called the Beatles were all in India in 1967 to meet the Maharishi and learn the ways of holistic mind expansion.

"I haven't taken drugs since," Love says, adding that the same cannot be said for his bandmates.

This guy doesn't launch lawsuits just for the fun of it. He's just taking care of business. Someone has to.

"Carl's passed away so he's not in a position to do much," Love says. "His heirs are participants in the company that owns the Beach Boys name and so with Carl not being there, if Al does something we feel is detrimental, then that needs to be addressed - and I don't mind addressing it."

He refers to the controversy of Jardine touring as "Beach Boys Family and Friends." A judge recently threw out part of the lawsuit, which goes to trial Nov. 6, and Jardine has since been invited by Brian to tour Pet Sounds - which means there's a band containing two original Beach Boys while the group allowed to call itself the Beach Boys has only one, Mike Love.

The 65-year-old singer doesn't hesitate to call bullcrap on Brian, either. "I think the people around Brian have caused him to do things that he probably wasn't totally aware of - like giving away 2.9 million copies of a CD in England in a Smile promotion and using the photographs and the name without asking and without compensation. I think Brian is pretty much oblivious to a lot of things that go on. That's my assumption, anyway, and he's guileless enough to go ahead and ask me, 'We ought to get together and write.' "

Brian uttered those words in June, according to Love, and so the reunion door remains open, at least a crack.

Like Wilson, Love's been writing on his own the whole time. He has a new album in the can tentatively called Mike Love, Not War - containing a song called Make Love, Not War - though he says the title might be changed to sound "less political."

Which brings us to another matter of Love. How hard is it for this guy to remain conservative? With a few decidedly liberal opinions aired here and there, Love seems right-wing largely by association - it's hard to avoid when you're friends with the Reagans.

After Reagan's secretary of the interior James Watt declared rock 'n' roll an "undesirable" element and cancelled a July 4, 1983, Beach Boys show in D.C., Nancy Reagan herself phoned Love to apologize. The Beach Boys got their gig back.

Anyway, is it relevant to discuss politics with people whose job it is to entertain us? Love isn't so sure.

He says, "People are going to decide what they're going to do, voting-wise, on the basis of their situation, not what P. Diddy thinks. You know he had that T-shirt saying 'vote or die.' A little hysterical hyperbole, I would call it."

"Neil Young, who I consider a friend and a great artist, he's written songs called Let's Impeach the President and Living With War. I met him in Boston this summer coming out of the hotel we were staying in. He gave me a big hug, and I said, 'Hey, I got a song for ya! It's called Make Love, Not War.' He said, 'Let's put it on my website with the 100 biggest protest songs.' (The song wasn't on there by press time.)

"I don't go around proselytizing to everybody, except to say that I think meditation should be done by everybody - and then everybody could just chill out a little."

In short, gotta keep those lovin' good vibrations happening.

......Nothing in there I can see relating to any new court case's but his point about using the SMiLE name without permission. The album was not released so I guess the title was there for anyone to use. Any opinions?

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 02:47:57 PM »

"I don't go around proselytizing to everybody, except to say that I think meditation should be done by everybody - and then everybody could just chill out a little."

Indeed.

I guess "chill out a little" doesn't count lawsuits, eh?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 02:49:40 PM »

A., that's not a good thing to say about your departed brothers and B., I don't think it's accurate. I take exception to that. So there

I dont think you can replace the beach boys, but i definetly think the mints and co. are more technically profficient players, and i dont see why would take exception to that, unless he really thinks he is going to have a sax off with Paul Mertens.... which i owuld love to see
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 03:09:04 PM »

A., that's not a good thing to say about your departed brothers and B., I don't think it's accurate. I take exception to that. So there

I dont think you can replace the beach boys, but i definetly think the mints and co. are more technically profficient players, and i dont see why would take exception to that, unless he really thinks he is going to have a sax off with Paul Mertens.... which i owuld love to see

I don't think Mike was referring to the technical musicianship aspect...I think his issue is more with Brian saying that they are superior vocalists.  Not to open up this issue again but this is one of the rare times that I agree with Mike on something. 
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:17:42 PM »

I don't think Mike was referring to the technical musicianship aspect...I think his issue is more with Brian saying that they are superior vocalists.  Not to open up this issue again but this is one of the rare times that I agree with Mike on something. 

As i said before, I dont think you can replace the boys, but technically and traditionally speaking, i think brians current band is better, having said that, i would obviously always rather go see the originals (the wilojarston boys), but the mints are technically better id say.
Endless Flight
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 03:29:51 PM »

I think technicality is overrated to some extent.

jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 03:30:45 PM »

maybe, but not in the case of brians band!!! Angry
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 04:08:09 PM »

Maybe the question is not if Brian's band is technically better, but if Brian should say in public what everybody can see in concert.

Oh and with Mike's argumentation ("A., that's not a good thing to say about your departed brothers and B., I don't think it's accurate.") he could get himself very easily into some trouble (of course not legally-wise)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 07:15:46 PM »

You have to remember the marketing here. You have Brians people trying to push a product and nothing more.I look at it as a car dealer with two models. The dealer has to say the 2006 is better than the 2005 or he does not eat. Of course Brian is going to say his band is better than the Beach Boys (any version) otherwise the buyer will just buy a Beach Boys album or go to the Mike and Bruce show.

Get over it!
Jason
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 07:49:48 PM »

Board's turning blue.

I love how the Lovester always makes those statements with bleeding "hidden messages" and "subtleties". I love more when people debate these supposed hidden messages and subtleties.
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 08:02:32 PM »

You have to remember the marketing here. You have Brians people trying to push a product and nothing more.I look at it as a car dealer with two models. The dealer has to say the 2006 is better than the 2005 or he does not eat. Of course Brian is going to say his band is better than the Beach Boys (any version) otherwise the buyer will just buy a Beach Boys album or go to the Mike and Bruce show.

Get over it!

I disagree with the last part, I think Brian could say nothing and people would rather opt for his show than the alternative (as long as they knew who he was).
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 09:39:40 AM »

I'm going to see "The Beach Boys" tonight (in Calgary, AB)...I'll let you guys know who is better LOL

I'm reviewing the show - I'll post it when its done.

And I guess I'm sort of excited for the show, but I feel a whole lot more excited for BW at Bridge School next month...

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 12:50:12 PM »

I agree with most of what Mike said in that article.. except the part about him being friends with Neil Young. Neil was probably just bullshitting about putting his song on the website to shut Mike up and get away from him as quickly as possible.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wilsonista
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 02:17:03 PM »

Board's turning blue.

I love how the Lovester always makes those statements with bleeding "hidden messages" and "subtleties". I love more when people debate these supposed hidden messages and subtleties.

No offense Jason, but everytime someone says something about the BB that you don't like, your standard replty is "it's turning into that awful BlueBoard". What do you have against the BlueBOard?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 04:04:45 AM »

Not totally on topic but here's another aticle, with one passage that wasn't in the one I already posted (about Mike wanting to write with Brian):

http://www.therockradio.com/2006/09/mike-love-defends-his-lawsuit-against.html

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 05:56:57 AM »

I hate when Brian says his new band is better. Is there anyone with the charsima of Dennis, or the voice of Carl, or even Mike's lyrical abilities (Please Let Me Wonder anyone. The Beach Boys were special and I agree with Mike on some of these things. I don't agree with him being so lawyer happy, but Brian's brothers were terrific. I like the Mints much better then the Beach Boys of the last 25 years, but the real Beach Boys will always be my favorite group. And I mean group.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 06:19:28 AM »

I'd say The Beach Boys are better from a vocal point of view and probably just because they carry the weight of history as being who they are.  I think it's probable that you could get a bunch of musicians together to perform Beatles' songs and say 'they're a better band' than The Beatles.  And from a purely technical point of view there's every chance that could be true.  I think it's partly from this purely technical point of view that Brian is looking at it.  However, it's also true to say that session musicians played on Beach Boys records to an extent that was not true in The Beatles' case - they largely using other musicians for horns, strings etc rather than core group member instruments such as guitar, bass and drums (although I concede The Beach Boys played on more tracks than some might imagine).  Perhaps Brian looks at the musicians he has now and thinks that here is a self contained group that would have been capable of doing everything he wanted and in that sense they are superior to The Beach Boys.  I think he also sees their enthusiasm for Smile and laments the attitudes he came up against in the past.  He has even said something like "With this band I could have taken Smile on the road back in the sixties". 

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Jason
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 12:25:15 PM »

No offense Jason, but everytime someone says something about the BB that you don't like, your standard replty is "it's turning into that awful BlueBoard". What do you have against the BlueBOard?

Rant removed, replaced with -

I don't like the trains of thought that pervade on the blueboard. Period.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 12:32:04 PM by Jason » Logged
Jason
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 12:33:15 PM »

I hate when Brian says his new band is better. Is there anyone with the charsima of Dennis, or the voice of Carl, or even Mike's lyrical abilities (Please Let Me Wonder anyone. The Beach Boys were special and I agree with Mike on some of these things. I don't agree with him being so lawyer happy, but Brian's brothers were terrific. I like the Mints much better then the Beach Boys of the last 25 years, but the real Beach Boys will always be my favorite group. And I mean group.

Agree totally.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 01:02:04 PM »

Agree totally.

As performing musicians, I almost completely disagree. I think Brian's current band is filled with better singers and players than the basic Beach Boys group (meaning not counting touring musicians, just brothers, cousin, friend and, if you want, Bruce). I know nobody else tends to agree with that, so whatever. Rant away. This is where that talk of that "certain indefinable magic" and "brotherly blend" comes up, but I call that nostalgia or mythology more than fact.

I'm not saying anyone in his current band could create music that was the equal of Dennis' best, or even the others' best (although I like a lot of the 'mints' music). But as for performing what has already been created, for me it's hands down.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 01:40:52 PM »

I think Brian's current band is filled with better singers and players than the basic Beach Boys group (meaning not counting touring musicians, just brothers, cousin, friend and, if you want, Bruce). I know nobody else tends to agree with that, so whatever. Rant away. This is where that talk of that "certain indefinable magic" and "brotherly blend" comes up, but I call that nostalgia or mythology more than fact.

I'm not saying anyone in his current band could create music that was the equal of Dennis' best, or even the others' best (although I like a lot of the 'mints' music). But as for performing what has already been created, for me it's hands down.

I agree with you. Carl Wilson (maybe Bruce) is the only musician comparable to Brian's band.

One factor that doesn't get enough consideration is the NUMBER OF MUSICIANS in Brian's band versus The Beach Boys' touring band. If The Beach Boys would've supplemented their live band with as many musicians AND SINGERS as Brian does, their sound would've been vastly improved.

On a totally unrelated point - Mr. Moderator, is my avatar ever going to come back, or do I have to redo it?
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 03:34:52 PM »

As performing musicians, I almost completely disagree. I think Brian's current band is filled with better singers and players than the basic Beach Boys group (meaning not counting touring musicians, just brothers, cousin, friend and, if you want, Bruce). I know nobody else tends to agree with that, so whatever. Rant away. This is where that talk of that "certain indefinable magic" and "brotherly blend" comes up, but I call that nostalgia or mythology more than fact.

Who would you rather have singing lead vocals in Brian's band today, Brian or Jeff Foskett?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 04:49:43 PM »

Who would you rather have singing lead vocals in Brian's band today, Brian or Jeff Foskett?

Both, and almost everyone else besides. While I like Brian's ragged vocals on some parts, there are others that are simply embarrassing. I'd prefer--and I've been saying this for years--that Brian dole out parts the way he did with the Beach Boys. Let the best voice for each song (or verse, or phrase, or whatever) take the lead. Now, I'd take Brian circa 65 or 66 over anyone, but those days are long gone.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2006, 06:10:25 PM »

Both, and almost everyone else besides. While I like Brian's ragged vocals on some parts, there are others that are simply embarrassing. I'd prefer--and I've been saying this for years--that Brian dole out parts the way he did with the Beach Boys. Let the best voice for each song (or verse, or phrase, or whatever) take the lead. Now, I'd take Brian circa 65 or 66 over anyone, but those days are long gone.

Luther, I totally agree with you on this one too. And I'll take it a step further. I wish that Brian would dole out parts the way he used to - ON HIS UPCOMING SOLO ALBUM BY DOLING OUT PARTS TO MIKE, AL, BRUCE, AND DAVID! And bring along Jeff Foskett for the background vocals...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx