gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:49:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what is musical ability..?  (Read 2276 times)
mike slattery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2006, 03:03:40 AM »

what makes one person but not another able to write a great/memorable tune..?

a top athlete has physical characteristics which enable them to excel at their discipline so I presume a great musician has a different brain-wiring job to other people..?

what I can't figure out is how this works ie which bits of the brain are different if you are musical..?

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 04:52:50 AM »

Theory of multiple intelligences-

http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/curr054.shtml
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 07:26:51 AM »

what makes one person but not another able to write a great/memorable tune..?

That's a question that probably just as impossible to answer as the question why someone has a higher IQ than someone else.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 03:53:46 PM »

There are a number of different ways to be musical.  Most people don't possess all talents, even the very talented.  There's the ability to play instruments, and the talents required for say, piano versus woodwind versus percussion are all a little different.  Some people can play many different types of instruments, but most only play one or a few.  Then there's the ability to play and write music notation, versus people who have a gift for playing and composing music "by ear," but have block when it comes to learning to play and write it well on a formal basis.  There are also different levels of skill in terms of arranging music for groups of instruments.  And, of course, singing is an ability that some possess more than others, along with the ability to train the voice.  I'd say it's a tricky question, and the numerous talents vary by person.

Also, in terms of writing memorable music, one person's memorable music is another person's headache.  So, take subjective taste into account.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 07:37:26 PM »

I think to go along with the last post, to say someone is good at music is far too broad--just as saying someone is good at basketball. A basketball player might shoot well, but defend terribly and only handle the ball adequately; another might run and jump, allowing him to defend and fill the lanes on a fast break, while he can't shoot a lick.

Music is such a huge territory, and the various skills that make it up are so varied, it is VERY different skills that make someone good at some part or another. While studying composition in college, I knew dozens of wonderful singers, but found most of them actually struggled with theory and sight-reading (I have no idea why that is.)--they learned by ear. Others coudl improvise solos, but also struggled with reading. Others could (as they say) read the paint on the walls, but couldn't invent something if their lives depended on it. I've known composers who can barely play anything. There are just so many different areas, and they all require different talents.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 04:07:37 AM »

I've known composers who can barely play anything. There are just so many different areas, and they all require different talents.

I think Irving Berlin was one of those composers who could barely play piano. He had a lever he used to change keys.
I agree that there was variations of musical ability, although I think there is such a thing as general musical talent. Some people are innately musical; some are not.
mike slattery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 04:21:25 AM »

ok so would 'musical IQ' be a fair term..?

I am really talking about melody writing as the ultimate form of musicality - you can learn the others to a degree but writing a 'great tune' is either there or its not - being driven to try to do it is part of the talent

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx