gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:22:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sean Lennon Q & A in Rolling Stone  (Read 13290 times)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2006, 05:12:42 PM »

Just a little note...Sean Lennon was interviewed in this month's Rolling Stone and was asked directly what he thought about BWPS.  He said:

"I prefer the analog recordings.  There's Smiley Smile, which Capitol put out, and then there's the bootleg of Smile, which came out on vinyl a few years later.  I love 'em both.  At one point, I listened to "Our Prayer" - from the bootleg - every morning, to sort of begin my day on the right foot.  It's like Bach on LSD."

He also says that he remembers talking to Joe Strummer when he was 16 and Strummer telling him that he wouldn't have made music if it weren't for the Beach Boys.  Lennon said that at the time he thought the Beach Boys were cheesy because "my brain couldn't wrap itself around the complexity of their music."

Very interesting little article...oddly he listed Phil Spector as one of the 5 greatest songwriters of the 20th century but not Brian. 
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 07:57:57 PM »

Sean Lennon has good taste in music.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
MBE
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 11:16:27 PM »

Perhaps he isn't a nerd Grin
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 11:33:15 PM »

Are you being sarcastic? Beach Boys fans are nerds, eh?

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 03:06:57 AM »

I got Sean Lennon's first CD before I ever heard any of his music, just because I thought he had an excellent taste in music, because he's John Lennon's son, and because the Beastie Boys released it on their label. Based on that I figured it HAD to be good. Unfortionately it wasn't.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 03:34:54 AM »

I got Sean Lennon's first CD before I ever heard any of his music, just because I thought he had an excellent taste in music, because he's John Lennon's son, and because the Beastie Boys released it on their label. Based on that I figured it HAD to be good. Unfortionately it wasn't.

Just because someone's got 'good taste' doesn't mean they're gonna make good records.  What's the difference between Sean Lennon and most of the rest of us?  He's the son of a rock music legend - his passport to mixing with the right people and making records.

Has there ever been a legendary pop star's offspring - that is even a tenth as good as their famous parent - I don't think so.  Rock stars should be sterilised.

Actually, sorry, no they shouldn't - that would have eliminated Jeff Buckley! ( Although, somewhat tellingly, I don't think growing up as Tim Buckley's son carried quite the same pressures and expectations as being John Lennon's).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 03:45:32 AM by Sir Rob » Logged

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 05:23:38 AM »

Has there ever been a legendary pop star's offspring - that is even a tenth as good as their famous parent…

The sons of the great Murray Wilson caused quite a stir back in the 60s...

“We live in divisive times.”
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 05:27:45 AM »

Has there ever been a legendary pop star's offspring - that is even a tenth as good as their famous parent…

The sons of the great Murray Wilson caused quite a stir back in the 60s...

What, you mean THE legendary Murry Wilson?! 

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 05:41:19 AM »

about time i heard the source of his smile fasination. I always thought he was just talkin it up on the Endless Harmony docu, but he does know what he's talking about

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 06:55:46 AM »

Just because someone's got 'good taste' doesn't mean they're gonna make good records.  What's the difference between Sean Lennon and most of the rest of us?  He's the son of a rock music legend - his passport to mixing with the right people and making records.

Well, I happen to be a big fan of the Beach Boys, the Beatles and the Beastie Boys, so if the Beastie Boys release an album by the son of one of the Beatles who happens to be an obsessive Beach Boys fan, than I'm interested.

And the CD was just 5 euros.  Grin
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 07:10:12 AM »

I *really* like the Sean Lennon record. I think if it came out with a different name attached to it, people would be fonder of it. Its a lovely record -- gentle and highly melodic and also damned cool, with tons of sort of Bossa Nova and twee influences. It was certainly my most-listened-to record of that year. I think people go in expecting JOHN LENNON, whether they want to or not -- even if you say you didn't, you did. It isn't like that, and his voice is so shockingly different from John's that it freaks people out. I think if anything Sean's been HAMPERED by his celebrity offspring status.

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 07:11:40 AM »

Well, I happen to be a big fan of the Beach Boys, the Beatles and the Beastie Boys, so if the Beastie Boys release an album by the son of one of the Beatles who happens to be an obsessive Beach Boys fan, than I'm interested.

And the CD was just 5 euros.  Grin

Yeah sure, I understand your interest.  I was just commenting on why one shouldn't be too surprised if said album turns out to be crap.

I saw The Beastie Boys once - the concert lasted 10 minutes and then exploded into pandemonium after missiles were hurled between the group and some members of the audience.  Which was a shame - we never got our money back.  And I was enjoying the go-go dancers in cages.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 07:17:55 AM »

I didn't say he MAKES good music, I was just saying he LIKES good music.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 07:20:27 AM »

I saw The Beastie Boys once - the concert lasted 10 minutes and then exploded into pandemonium after missiles were hurled between the group and some members of the audience.  Which was a shame - we never got our money back.  And I was enjoying the go-go dancers in cages.

I don't like their early stuff and the attitude they had back then. I'm glad they've grown up and distanced themselves from that incredibly dumb, sexist first album.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 07:22:35 AM »

I didn't say he MAKES good music, I was just saying he LIKES good music.

And I didn't say you said he makes good music, I was just saying I bought his CD partially because I also thought he had a good taste in music.  Smiley
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 07:24:50 AM »

I think if anything Sean's been HAMPERED by his celebrity offspring status.

In a way I can see that could be true but only if one assumes that SL would have got to the position of being able to release an album if he came from an ordinary background, all other things being equal.

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 07:31:18 AM »

I don't like their early stuff and the attitude they had back then. I'm glad they've grown up and distanced themselves from that incredibly dumb, sexist first album.

Awww, c'mon, that first album was fun! 

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 07:34:28 AM »

Fun, maybe. Good, no. Not nearly as good as what came after.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 07:37:19 AM »

Fun, maybe. Good, no. Not nearly as good as what came after.

What Paul's Boutique?  I bought that and thought it dreadful.  I lost interest thereafter.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 07:38:37 AM »

Smile came out "a few years later" after the vinyl Capitol Smiley Smile?  Yeah, like . . . 25 years later?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 07:42:15 AM »

What Paul's Boutique?  I bought that and thought it dreadful.  I lost interest thereafter.

My favorite Beastie Boys album is Ill Communication, followed by Check Your Head. Paul's Boutique is OK too... How can you not like Egg Man and Shake Your Rump?

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 07:52:31 AM »

Smile came out "a few years later" after the vinyl Capitol Smiley Smile?  Yeah, like . . . 25 years later?

I thought that quote was strange too.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 07:55:14 AM »

about time i heard the source of his smile fasination. I always thought he was just talkin it up on the Endless Harmony docu, but he does know what he's talking about

During his 1998 interview with Brian, Sean Lennon displayed quite a bit of interest in the "SMiLE" sessions. Brian warmed up a bit to the subject and, when Lennon mentioned the "Fire" tapes, he volunteered that the official track title was "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow".
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 08:06:26 AM »

My favorite Beastie Boys album is Ill Communication, followed by Check Your Head. Paul's Boutique is OK too... How can you not like Egg Man and Shake Your Rump?

It's a long long time ago now (vinyl era).  I dunno - I just didn't like the album and I switched off from the group and never came back to them.  You say the first album was dumb and sexist but it seems pretty innocent now in comparison to what's gone down since in rap music - just cartoonish juvenile hi-jinks.  As a twenty something in the moribund 1980s this, and the 'shock horror' media storm they managed to kick up in UK at the time, impressed me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 08:08:14 AM by Sir Rob » Logged

briancarldennisal
Smiley Smile Associate

light the lamp and fire mellow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 12:36:58 PM »

it would be interesting to know if john lennon ever heard any of the smile stuff. i bet sean would know.

light the lamp and fire mellow cabin essence timely hello
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx