gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:52:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Musician credits on Pet Sounds 40th  (Read 2142 times)
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2006, 09:24:43 AM »

Can anyone shed any light on the following?

On the new PS, the musicians' credits claim to be revised editions of what appeared on the PS box set, and while it admits that its very difficult to be entirely accurate about who played what and when, there seem to be some glaring, and misleading, inaccuracies.

For instance, on God Only Knows, there are no harpsichord or guitar players noted. Listening to the tracks (and to the session tapes, which are pretty unequivocal, given that harpsichords and guitars are clearly audible, and even mentioned by Brian by name), its clear that they were involved.

On the session box Ray Pohlman is credited with guitar (but Danelectro bass on the PS 40th). There is no credit for a harpsichord player (we just have Don Randi on 'Pianos').

I'm surprised that, given the momentous nature of the occasion, these aspects have been cocked up by the producers of the the new double album.

One final thing, Larry Knechtel is credited with organ, and I'd be interested to hear what others think his contribution was. Did he take part in the same quarter note chops that the piano, harpsichord and guitars play throughout?

Cheers!

BJ

« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 09:26:26 AM by brother john » Logged

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 09:54:44 AM »

Yes, I'm not very pleased about the credits for PS over the years.  They seem to be getting less accurate over time...

Your points are all very good ones.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 10:08:07 AM »

Hi Josh,

Anything to contribute re: Larry K's organ part?

BJ

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 10:16:19 AM »

Hi Josh,

Anything to contribute re: Larry K's organ part?

BJ

I'm not Josh...I'm Craig...but if I remember correctly, Larry K started the session on organ, but switched to harpsichord by the time of the final take.  Don Randi is playing a piano "prepared" with masking tape.  The guitarist (12-string) is almost certainly Carl...he's not on the AFM contract for the session (as he oftentimes wasn't), hence his omission from the "official" credits.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 10:36:11 AM »

Yeah, the Knechtel situation is a little confusing...even though he's definitely on harpsichord for much of the final take, it almost sounds like he switches to a harpsichord-sounding stop on an organ for the little pre-bridge section.  So maybe he had both set up and Chuck had them both mic-ed so he could switch back and forth in-song.  Or maybe not.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 12:55:27 PM »

Interesting... Thanks guys,

I shall have to listen out for organ parts at the beginning...

I didn't know organs had harpsichord-type settings...

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx