gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:04:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FAVIORTE BEGEES song  (Read 15083 times)
cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2006, 12:44:33 AM »

I really like Spicks and Specks, their first Oz-land hit. It has all the hallmarks of BG greatness: banging a single key on the piano simple and incredibly grandiose at the same time, satisfyingly incomprehensible,  disturbed, troubled and delusional in the lyric department (as in so much of their work: see the Messianic content of I Started a Joke later, an 'I am Jesus' song even Manson wouldn't have dared write, or Run to Me, the skankiest jailbait pickup routine ever penned, but so sincerely plastic-passionate that it must have drawn as many underage groupies as bought the single!); plus  two or three guys pretending to be the lead singer of a single first person narrative (very schizophrenic)...and  it's ready made as an aria for any operatic monster or monstress of rock, those bloated power ballad folk who feed on these numbers the way Incan goddess Caltiki feeds on sacrificial virgins. BeeGee mate Lulu could have done this particular one proud, I think, but so could have Elvis, Janis, Barbra, Dolly, Al Green etc. Maybe Celine would be higher regarded if she'd covered Bee Gees material?

Most winning aspect of the band for me: I love their strange almost profound lyrics, Tin Pan Alley desperation meeting an inarguable gift for words and images  like (from another song: "
When we were small and Christmas trees were tall. Now we are tall , and Christmas trees are small, and you don't ask the time of day . . and guess who'll cry come First of May?

Edit: The above sounds more sarcastic than I mean it, though I stand by every word. In sincerity and good faith, I'd highly recommend the group's second album Horizontal a record no household should be without, my favorite LP of their first period.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 01:28:51 AM by cabinessence » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2006, 01:14:31 AM »

Wonderful post, right on the money as ever.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2006, 07:40:19 AM »

Lately I can't get enough of More than a woman (love the melody) and Love you inside and out (what a bridge!)
wesi72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2006, 08:04:28 AM »

Saved by the bell
Nights on broadway
New York Mining Disaster
You Win Again
Islands In The Stream

Cheers,
Andrew
"Still cruisin' after all of these years"
pavlos brenos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2006, 02:00:00 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000G6HZ/103-4586086-0938205?v=glance&n=5174
Hear some samples from "Birth of Brilliance"; doesn't "All Of My Life" sound a bit like  it's the missing link between "Not A Second Time" , "She Loves You" and John's up-tempo numbers from "AHDN"?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 11:32:39 PM by pavlos brenos » Logged
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2006, 04:39:39 AM »

Lately I can't get enough of More than a woman (love the melody)
The Tavares version is twice as good. Better production, more soul. But the songwriting is the basis, and this goes to the Gibbs.

I can't understand that my far favorite Bee Gees song has not been mentionned...

Lamplight

A perfect pop song, amazing vocals, elaborate arrangement, bombastic chorus.

Other favorites:
New York Mining Disaster 1941
Spicks And Specks
First Of May
Too Much Heaven (very underrated song!)
Nights On Broadway
NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2006, 06:23:57 AM »

One of the most incredible catalogs of all time. I also heart "Run To Me", "Nights On Broadway", "You Should Be Dancing" and "Night Fever" to name just a few. Some of my favorite Gibb compositions are on the Streisand Guilty album. More recently, I dig "All the Children" from the new Barbra Guilty Pleasures CD. The song and production sound just like a production from the 70's heyday.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2006, 11:09:32 AM »

Lately I can't get enough of More than a woman (love the melody)
The Tavares version is twice as good. Better production, more soul. But the songwriting is the basis, and this goes to the Gibbs.

I can't understand that my far favorite Bee Gees song has not been mentionned...

Lamplight

A perfect pop song, amazing vocals, elaborate arrangement, bombastic chorus.

Other favorites:
New York Mining Disaster 1941
Spicks And Specks
First Of May
Too Much Heaven (very underrated song!)
Nights On Broadway

Lamplight is the song that broke up the Bee Gees in 1969. When they put out Odessa, Robin wanted Lamplight as the single, Barry wanted First Of May, Maurice sided with Barry. May came out, releatively bombed, and Robin split for almost two years.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2006, 08:11:51 PM »

!!!!!

From the BeeGees song "Timber"...
When I first saw you standing there , you set my heart a-reeling
Baby , you gave me such a feeling
My heart cries timber , timber , timber , timber
Timber baby 'cause I'm a a-fallin' for you
Yeah , yeah , yeah

Gary Usher from the Surfin' Safari/Surfin' USA liner notes:
we were always looking for contemporary expressions to make into songs. At the same time, we wrote a corny country song called "Timber, I'm Falling In Love With You."

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2006, 02:17:39 PM »

To Love Somebody.
New York Mining Disaster 1941.
I've Gotta Get a Message to You.
Words.
I Started A Joke.
And The Sun Will Shine.
Lonely Days.
Run To Me.
Love So Right.

Technically is not considered Bee Gees, but who cares: Heartbreaker, Emotion, Our Love (Don't Throw It All Away), Islands In The Stream.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx