gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:15:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FAVIORTE BEGEES song  (Read 15806 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2006, 03:35:15 AM »

I'm gonna have to say.. uh.. Tragedy.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Peter Tomatz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2006, 03:41:09 AM »

Night Fever - I love the bridge on that one. I tried the single disc reissue of Odessa once and couldn't get into it, but I really wanted to.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2006, 05:33:57 AM »

I'm tempted to say "NIghts on Broadway" or "Jive Talkin'," both of which I love deeply, but I'm gonna have to go with "Night Fever" too.

The early stuff is fantastic too -- New York Mining Disaster and To Love SOmebody are both indespensible.
artie
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 05:55:16 AM »

Barry Gibb is one of the few who approaches the same league as Brian Wilson...and Robin and Maurice are amazing as well...

My faves (in no particular order)

Country Lanes (Main Course) - listen to Robin! wow
Melody Fair - I think it was a single
The Only Love (High Civilization)
Winds of Change (Main Course)
Love You Inside Out (Spirits Having Flown)
How Deep Is Your Love - I just NEVER get sick of this one. Especially that intro.
Juliet (Robin solo from How Old Are You, but Bee Gees did it live on '89 tour)
Nights on Broadway (Main Course)
I Can't See Nobody

Maurice's passing is like Carl Wilson's passing - Barry and Robin, despite recent feuding, can continue but it will not nearly be the same
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 06:05:08 AM »

Theme from “The Barry Gibb Talk Show”….

…I mean, “How Deep Is Your Love”.
Domo Arigato
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 07:06:50 AM »

"Lonely Days"   from 2 Years On
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 07:13:49 AM »

i like the  Odessa album a lot ..also Jive Talkin cause i remember that coming out of the  radio shack transistor radio during the summer while we were in the pool and  that would make us circle the pool and create a whirlpool . And then we would ride the whirlpool to the strains of . Jiiive talkin ..yout telling me lies..chlorine it get's in my eye's....
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 10:10:35 AM »

Can you keep your completely off-the-mark and wrong comments to yourself?

Apologies if you are offended by the comment Ian - I just have never liked them, even more since the disco period . It's not a wrong comment, just my opinion. I could have gone for the more humorous approach re the 'very high voices...' answer, but... you obviously like them, I don't. We all have our blind spots!
Cheers.
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2006, 10:16:49 AM »

"Please Read Me" I find thoroughly convincing as an mid-period Beatles pastiche that would have not been out of place on "Rubber Soul."  Brilliant harmonies and song structure.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2006, 11:07:07 AM »

I thought many more people were into their early stuff....I'm pretty surprised and disappointed.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2006, 11:13:32 AM »

I thought many more people were into their early stuff....I'm pretty surprised and disappointed.

you mean more people here?
Hell, their early stuff is ripe for discovery.

I myself only know 1st.  Have Horizontal on LP and find it just so...
I have heard tracks off of Odessa that are fantastic.  But need to buy that pup.
I just got Cucumber Castle and haven't even tapped it yet.

Bottom line, Bee Gees first is simply a must for fans of the more soulful side of the Beatles and Beach Boys.  It's got amazing songs on it!!!!  Amazing!!!!  I can't really vouch for the others yet but it's just a matter of time.  I'll go back to that Horizontal record.
artie
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2006, 11:37:31 AM »

I am, Ian, they are in my top 5 bands of all time...I just picked a few tunes as the topic said "favorite song" - but I absolutely adore (in addition to I Can't See Nobody and Melody Fair):

First of May
Holiday
Spicks and Specks
And The Sun Will Shine
Run To Me
Sea Of Smiling Faces
and Robin's second best vocal, (after Country Lanes) I Started A Joke. Especially his live version from the One tour

Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2006, 11:55:31 AM »

I sure am, but my favorite stuff will always be the 70s stuff. It is absolutely great. No arguing.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2006, 12:05:55 PM »

I am, Ian, they are in my top 5 bands of all time...I just picked a few tunes as the topic said "favorite song" - but I absolutely adore (in addition to I Can't See Nobody and Melody Fair):

First of May
Holiday
Spicks and Specks
And The Sun Will Shine
Run To Me
Sea Of Smiling Faces
and Robin's second best vocal, (after Country Lanes) I Started A Joke. Especially his live version from the One tour

Yep, Artie, I noticed you were a true-blue fan, which is wonderful. These guys have the most consistently impressive discography of any band, for me.

Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2006, 12:30:28 PM »

That's the thing: they are rock-freaking-solid from the very beginning through like the early 80s, which is a VERY impressive run -- certainliy more consistently right on than most bands from that era.

The one thing I've yet to check out is the early-early-early stuff! The pre-"first" albums.
Lester Byrd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2006, 12:33:35 PM »

All time fave: "Gotta Get A Message to You." Shimmeringly beautiful pop song about a guy who's about to be executed--how can you not love it?

"Nights on Broadway" Love the ballad section in the middle, which could have been an entirely different great song in its own right.

The classic mid-period heartbreakers "How Can You Mend..." and "Run to Me."

"To Love Somebody" might be their best song, but the Bee Gees own version is only my third or fourth fav version.

But I have to say the Bee Gees song I find myself singing to myself most often is, for some reason, "The Lord" from Cucumber Castle. The boys from Oz pull off some authentic  Appalachian sheetkicking!

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2006, 12:35:56 PM »

It's not that I am not into them, i.e. dislike them, I just don't know them and can't absorb new music quickly.  In the last six months I have gotten into:

Free Design
Bobbie Gentry
Johnny Cash
Stevie Wonder

plus countless Elvis FTDs and other interesting music by my favs.  I can only go so fast, you see....
artie
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2006, 12:39:49 PM »

That's the thing: they are rock-freaking-solid from the very beginning through like the early 80s, which is a VERY impressive run -- certainliy more consistently right on than most bands from that era.

The one thing I've yet to check out is the early-early-early stuff! The pre-"first" albums.

their nineties output ain't too shabby either...
in 1991 they released High Civilization, which contained a couple of GREAT tunes, "Secret Love" and "The Only Love" -
in 1993 they did "Size Isn't Everything" which included "For Whom The Bell Tolls", "Paying The Price Of Love" and the greatest Bee Gees throwback of the 90's, "Kiss Of Life" - check that particular tune out if you haven't heard it...
artie
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2006, 12:41:42 PM »

First of May
Holiday
Spicks and Specks
And The Sun Will Shine
Run To Me
Sea Of Smiling Faces

Yep, Artie, I noticed you were a true-blue fan, which is wonderful. These guys have the most consistently impressive discography of any band, for me.

Definitely. My only regret is I never saw them live. And now I never will.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2006, 12:48:53 PM »

While they made some great music through out their long run, my favorite remains the Beegees First ALBUM.  This is the MUST HAVE from the catalogue.

Turn Of The Century
Holiday
Red Chair, Fade Away
One Minute Woman
In My Own Time
Every Christian Lion-Hearted Man Will Show You
Craise Finton Kirk Royal Academy Of Arts
New York Mining Disaster 1941
Cucumber Castle
To Love Somebody
I Close My Eyes
I Can't See Nobody
Please Read Me
Close Another Door
Maybelline
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2006, 02:21:13 PM »

Love everything they did on the SNF soundtrack, especially Night Fever.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2006, 02:21:54 PM »

Check out some earlier stuff, Mayb.

Maybelline
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2006, 02:26:46 PM »

Yeah, where to start?

BTW Ian you look much better brunette than blonde  Grin
pavlos brenos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2006, 03:34:50 PM »

"Birth of Brilliance" is well worth checking out ; the second CD is especially good. Some of the songs could be lost tracks by The Beatles (especially "All Of My Life" which would fit nicely on "With The Beatles"). Covers of "From Me To You", "Ticket To Ride", "You Won't See Me", "Paperback Writer". Beatlesque hooks and licks on some of the original songs, too.
Found this via a Google search: http://www.sweeting.org/mark/music/mp3/bee_gees/birth_of_brilliance_1963_1966_disk_1.html
and this:
http://www.sweeting.org/mark/music/mp3/bee_gees/birth_of_brilliance_1963_1966_disk_1.html
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2006, 03:43:43 PM »

Yeah, where to start?

BTW Ian you look much better brunette than blonde  Grin

Bee Gees First.

Thanks, Maybelline! I wish we all could be favored with a picture of you!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx