gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:36:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Glen Campbell and Brian Wilson: "Strong"  (Read 1169 times)
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2024, 10:06:06 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wrhVBU_H0GE&pp=ygUUR2xlbiBDYW1wYmVsbCBTdHJvbmc%3D

This track from Campbell's upcoming duets album (a revisitation of Ghost on the Canvas) was released today.

Sounds like the instrumental tracks were recorded by Brian's band. In addition to lead vocals, Brian seems to have at least one baritone spot in the harmony stack.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 10:21:27 PM »

I have to admit, I haven't listened to Campbell's "Ghost on the Canvas" in quite some time, so I had forgotten how bits of "Strong" are pretty similar to "Guess I'm Dumb"; the main lead line melody is similar in spots, and sounds like this new arrangement works in a few more bits reminiscent of it, like the horns.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 04:03:49 PM »

I believe this was the track they were recording after Brian's final tour concluded.  Which would explain Brian's rather fragile vocals.  Apparently Darian is handling all or most of the vocal harmonies.  Overall a pretty good track despite Brian's weakened condition. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 08:49:57 PM »

I believe this was the track they were recording after Brian's final tour concluded.  Which would explain Brian's rather fragile vocals.  Apparently Darian is handling all or most of the vocal harmonies.  Overall a pretty good track despite Brian's weakened condition. 
I hear Brian pretty clearly in the harmonies, especially at the beginning and the end. He has what sounds like about two parts in the baritone register. The falsetto sounds like Matt to me, but I'm not sure.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 08:59:39 PM »

Am I the only one to think that this song is simply fantastic. And a special middle finger to the ........ers able only to bitch about autotune etc, even in such a circumstance (not here, bless this forum).
And I know the (great) original version. This new one is my favourite. Not being perfect can be a plus, and here it is. So emotional, in the best sense.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 04:05:31 AM by Zenobi » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 12:15:46 PM »

Am I the only one to think that this song is simply fantastic. And a special middle finger to the ........ers able only to bitch about autotune etc, even in such a circumstance (not here, bless this forum).
And I know the (great) original version. This new one is my favourite. Not being perfect can be a plus, and here it is. So emotional, in the best sense.

I love it! Perfect song choice for Brian.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2024, 09:34:36 AM »

Got this scan from off of an Elvis messageboard. Thanks to the OP

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2024, 02:17:47 PM »

My personal opinion on the track...
It's weak, patchwork lead vocals, and Brian's lead vocals are extremely weak , instruments and backing vocals sound like Brian's band (a bonus). I think the A. I. stuff that has come out lately sound better. but with "Strong" the leads, man, both Glen's and Brian's sound very air-lifted into the soundscape.

Roll Eyes

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 04:02:46 AM »

I love it! Perfect song choice for Brian.

Thanks Peadar, nice to see I am not alone...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 03:17:16 PM »

The track certainly isn't the Rick Rubin/Johnny Cash "American Recordings" type of thing I had hoped Brian might dabble in over the last decade or two. I think between using the old Glen vocal and doing the best they could with Brian's new vocal track, the result has to sound a bit clouded/processed.

I actually wish on recent Brian tracks where he's heavily processed, they would more often go with what they did on "Right Where I Belong", where they apply some actual effects to the voice to distort it so it at least sounds different and purposefully processed instead of just sounding like autotune dialed up to 11.

That all being said, I have no problems with this track, and I think given recent events/news of the past several months, we'll look back on this period and be grateful Brian stuff is still coming out.

I certainly hope we get tons of Brian archival stuff, but I don't mind if they start trying to gather his most recent "new" stuff from recent years and give us that stuff as well.

And I think it remains to be seen what type of work Brian might still be able to finagle on his good days. I'm sure it has been and will continue to be a delicate balance to strike with Brian's people to determine how (or if) to coax material out of him, even if it's just some rough stream-of-consciousness piano material or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx