gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:17:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
GoodVibrations33 (+ 1 Hidden) and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Documentary!  (Read 2219 times)
Gosh Darn Highway
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2024, 04:00:21 PM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-beach-boys-documentary-disney-unseen-footage-1234994454/

Nice to see David, Blondie, and (at least via audio) Ricky are part of this too!
Gosh Darn Highway
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 04:04:46 PM »

I read in a different article that a soundtrack will be released as well, "featuring songs from the film" (but no mention of there being anything previously unreleased, to my knowledge)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 04:19:50 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Especially interested in what unreleased footage they have used.

The documentary will go further than 1980, won't it? I'm askig because the new book will stop at the Washington show in 1980. I would love to get some new insights into the 90s and the 2012 reunion.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Gosh Darn Highway
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 04:36:30 PM »

From what I can tell, it's being described as a "movie," vs. a series, so I assume it won't have the length to necessarily either go into too much depth and/or to cover the full entirety of their career? But I could be wrong, the info out today is minimal and I'm sure we'll know more soon enough.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 05:10:27 PM »

Folks should be prepared for this to *not* be the thorough type of documentary people on this board would want.

Remember when John Stamos did that 2000 ABC miniseries movie about the Beach Boys and it stopped in like 1974?

Be prepared for the "coverage" scope so to speak on this new doc to be something more like that.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 07:15:16 PM »

I'm honestly more intrigued with the soundtrack they're putting out.  Here's hoping they take a cue from the great Endless Harmony soundtrack and give us a lot of interesting unreleased content.  We certainly don't need another greatest hits rehash. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 07:27:16 PM »

^  Amen to that! 
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 08:30:28 PM »

Folks should be prepared for this to *not* be the thorough type of documentary people on this board would want.

Remember when John Stamos did that 2000 ABC miniseries movie about the Beach Boys and it stopped in like 1974?

Be prepared for the "coverage" scope so to speak on this new doc to be something more like that.

That's too bad, HeyJude.  You'd think with (what I believe are) good directors like Frank Marshall and Thom Zimny, that would have been at least been a couple parts, maybe along the lines of Zimny's work on "Elvis: The Searcher."  It's unfortunate we won't ever get something Anthology-styled, though obviously it a) would have been difficult to negotiate relationship landmines within the group (even with IAG/Azoff involved, I guess) and b) would have to be somewhat condensed because of The Beach Boys' 60(+) years together(-ish) rather than 10(+ if counting Quarrymen years and their early lives) for The Beatles.

HeyJude, since Frank Marshall is involved, will it be something more similar to the all-too-brief-but-still-very-nice Bee Gees "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart?" documentary from 2020?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 12:15:42 AM »

I hope its joyous, I hope its amazing and I hope it properly celebrates the greatest band of all time

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
wavesoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 05:34:16 AM »

Here's hoping the Soundtrack has a Dolby Atmos mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2024, 04:30:47 PM »

Here's hoping the Soundtrack has a Dolby Atmos mix!

Considering they are not doing any type of physical release of the "soundtrack", I would expect that this will be a digital-only sort of comp, probably akin to a Spotify playlist of previously released stuff. If the stuff is pulled from something that already had an Atmos mix, then maybe you'd get that, but probably not. And either way, you would just go back to whatever the source originally was anyway.

I really think the most substantive thing coming out of all of the stuff coming out in the next weeks/months is the book. That looks excellent. The doc and the "soundtrack", well, let's just hope at least sticking *anything* on Disney+ will turn some new people on to the music.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2024, 05:43:47 PM »

Not an incredibly impressive trailer but it is just a trailer.
https://youtu.be/F_Rspu3Xoi4?feature=shared

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2024, 06:53:50 PM »

FWIW, I *really* like the trailer. All the feels.

Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2024, 06:56:00 PM »

Same here!  It looks very promising and I'm sure it'll be on the Endless Harmony/An American Band level of greatness.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2024, 07:14:06 PM »

Same here!  It looks very promising and I'm sure it'll be on the Endless Harmony/An American Band level of greatness.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2024, 07:14:52 PM »

Well, that's a poster....

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2024, 07:16:23 PM »

I can't not appreciate on some level some representation of the pudgy late 70s era for the band (though they subbed in a late 60s Dennis among the circa '79 Beach Boys), but it'll be a bit ironic when that era *isn't* covered in the doc.

They've apparently inadvertently gone for the vibe of one of those old 80s song books:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 07:20:21 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2024, 08:28:37 PM »

I would not be surprised if the documentary concentrates on the same period as the book. Up to 1980. There is the Paradise Cove gathering but I expect little about 81-12 aside from the passing of Dennis and Carl, Kokomo and the C50.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2024, 08:49:22 PM »

I would not be surprised if the documentary concentrates on the same period as the book. Up to 1980. There is the Paradise Cove gathering but I expect little about 81-12 aside from the passing of Dennis and Carl, Kokomo and the C50.

As I mentioned before in another thread, remember that John Stamos 2000 TV miniseries that stopped in 1974?

It's a largely completely different team behind the film versus the book (though obviously both have the involvement of BRI/Iconic). They are of course happy to market both as they're coming out near each other. But I don't think the film or the book were made to "match" each other.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2024, 11:43:10 PM »

That trailer is so disappointing

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2024, 01:17:38 PM »

Out of curiosity, I watched the official 'Get Back' trailer and this new 'Beach Boys' official trailer back-to-back. The former gave me goosebumps, and yeah I even teared up a little. The latter left me feeling almost zero emotion at all. The actual 'Get Back' movie left me speechless/excited/inspired after each segment. I am not at all getting those vibes from this Beach Boys doc.

I know they're two separate beasts, but I have to imagine that some creatively talented director could create something as...stimulating? Or breathtaking?...as 'Get Back' when it comes to The Beach Boys. But this looks like a complete run-of-the-mill, cookie-cutter, colored in all the spaces, documentary. No risk, seemingly no artistry or narrative that would get some buzz going. How can you create a documentary using an overused formula about a band that constantly broke the rules of formula?

Also very tired of seeing modern "artists" gush about this band in interviews in these documentaries. Like how insecure are we about the music that we need Ryan Tedder to explain to us the appeal of the music? Or why do we need to hear thoughts on band dynamics by the person who brought us the cerebral, apex-of-modern-intellectualism-song that is 'Water Slide'?

I wish the documentary all the best, and I hope I'm proven wrong about my initial reaction to the trailer. But good grief, this band's music deserves better.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2024, 07:07:28 PM »

I know what you mean but let’s wait and see-this could be great.  Obviously-it can’t be Get Back because that was a crazy revelatory experience using hours of footage no one suspected would ever surface….the equivalent would only occur in Beach Boys land if 12 unseen hours of the Boys working on Smile surfaced! So obviously you have to lower your expectations
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2024, 08:07:34 PM »

I do agree that they are "two different beasts" - but I feel like it can't be impossible to create something on a 'Get Back' level, at least in regards to the narrative of the documentary. I guess I liken it to how 'Love & Mercy' could've been another 'Walk the Line' but instead it was done in a style that made it stand out so beautifully from other biopics. I would love to see that attention to narrative in a documentary about The Beach Boys.

I'm a big space nerd, so I watch a lot of documentaries on the Apollo program. Two documentaries from two different eras come to mind; 'For All Mankind' (from 1989), and the recent 'Apollo 11'. 'Apollo 11' is like the 'Get Back' of space films because the creators unearthed vintage IMAX-level quality film of the Apollo 11 launch. But 'For All Mankind' uses grainy/shaky footage and is almost just as impactful because it was created in a way that shows it as art and not an extended 60 minutes informative piece (which this Beach Boys documentary seems to be).

Anywho, sorry for the rambling haha. I do agree that we need to wait and see. We could be pleasantly surprised.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2024, 08:48:24 PM »

I'm a big space nerd…

Snap! Between this and The Beach Boys, we’re 60s tragics obviously. 👍
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2024, 09:06:10 PM »

I don't know if "Get Back" is something worth holding up to any potential BB doc.

What I do think is that a great BB doc could *absolutely* be as emotionally affecting, and perhaps more so, than "Get Back." The story is such a huge, sprawling, epic thing.

And I don't even think it would need like 8 parts or anything.

I think three or four 90-120 minute parts, so something in the 5-6 hour range, would effectively tell the story and allow everything to be covered and for the film to have both scope and an epic nature and emotion.

As I've been saying in a few threads, without going into too much detail, I would just say fans should not set their expectations too high for this new doc. And I think the trailer kind of lines up with what I've been hearing and saying. It's not going to have the scope I think people would want, and I guess it remains to be seen how moving/emotional it might be. I think parts of the story are *unavoidably* emotional, and I think the Paradise Cove reunion will be emotional even if it's also awkward or weird.

Keep in mind that while the film is of course done with BRI/Iconic, the team making the doc is a different team from the folks who have been putting together the top-notch archival releases of the last 7-10 years (and beyond including "Smile Sessions", etc.). While the music/audio side of things has finally reached "what we've been asking for for decades" status, I think this film was done by a different group with a different prompt. I have no reason to doubt that *any* attempt at a documentary on the BBs, or *any* project for that matter, is not an easy undertaking. But I also think, at the end of the day, we might find some cool things in this new doc but also be going back to "Endless Harmony" to scratch the doc itch.

Was this the last opportunity to do a "Beatles Anthology" level doc on the band? I don't know. Maybe. I mean, there's enough banked interview footage that they could do an "Anthology" kind of thing even if all the guys were gone. I guess we'll have to see.

But, it's true that getting a Beach Boys *thing* on the front splash page of a streaming app like Disney+ with a hundred million subscribers (or whatever it is) will result in some good in turning people on to the music.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 09:07:17 PM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx