gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:43:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Melinda Kay Ledbetter Wilson (1946-2024)  (Read 8067 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2024, 01:50:21 AM »

Was a nice surprise to see the Grammys included both Melinda and Jeff Foskett in their In Memoriam.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2024, 02:05:42 AM »

Good to see them both recognized.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2024, 07:32:49 PM »

That was a lovely tribute

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2024, 04:05:24 PM »

Is it true that fans were worried about Brian in 1991/92? I was a fan, but an outsider. I had no insight into what fans were feeling at that time. I was concerned, for sure.  I was worried that without Landy, Brian would fall back into his old habits - smoking, drinking, drugging, hiding away from the world. I had no idea what was happening with him throughout 1992/93/94.

If you want to know how thing were in 1991, this Diane Sawyer report offers probably the single best insight into that period:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVP7pNjJd30&t=64

Melinda (heavily disguised, but that is clearly her voice) can be spotted at 10:05 spilling the beans on Landy.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2024, 08:23:51 PM »

Yea, thats very clearly Melinda
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2024, 09:14:10 PM »

Melinda worked for Landy?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2024, 09:26:13 PM »

Pretty sure that identification was made to ensure it would be more difficult for folks to identify Melinda. Calling her Brian Wilson’s ex girlfriend would be a little on the nose. No, it’s not great journalistic practice, but the circumstances were pretty tangled.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2024, 05:42:00 PM »

Is it true that fans were worried about Brian in 1991/92? I was a fan, but an outsider. I had no insight into what fans were feeling at that time. I was concerned, for sure.  I was worried that without Landy, Brian would fall back into his old habits - smoking, drinking, drugging, hiding away from the world. I had no idea what was happening with him throughout 1992/93/94.

If you want to know how thing were in 1991, this Diane Sawyer report offers probably the single best insight into that period:

Melinda (heavily disguised, but that is clearly her voice) can be spotted at 10:05 spilling the beans on Landy.

Yes she did, and Landy on camera then proceeds to blatantly lie about it. Everyone trying to contact Brian at that time was "screened", whether by phone or in person. And if you talk to people who were involved, it went far beyond screening calls with Landy's attempts to shut off outside contact with Brian unless it was strictly monitored and controlled. That's fact, and it was not a good scene. Anyone who defends Landy in this later phase of his involvement is delusional.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2024, 07:44:34 PM »

Yes she did, and Landy on camera then proceeds to blatantly lie about it. Everyone trying to contact Brian at that time was "screened", whether by phone or in person. And if you talk to people who were involved, it went far beyond screening calls with Landy's attempts to shut off outside contact with Brian unless it was strictly monitored and controlled. That's fact, and it was not a good scene. Anyone who defends Landy in this later phase of his involvement is delusional.
It was easy for fans to be fooled by Landy, because he worked such wonders with Brian in the early days of his return. Brian goes from looking like a beached whale in 1982 to looking handsome and slimmed down in 1983. Mentally, he still seemed shaky, but I guess we all assumed that would be part two of the therapy program.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2024, 08:12:46 PM »

Pretty sure that identification was made to ensure it would be more difficult for folks to identify Melinda. Calling her Brian Wilson’s ex girlfriend would be a little on the nose. No, it’s not great journalistic practice, but the circumstances were pretty tangled.

It obviously doesn't matter a thousand years later, but I'm curious why they didn't just name her as a source "close to the situation" or something like that. Like industry trades will often name "a person with knowledge of the situation", etc.

As it is, they probably recognized her voice anyway, and thankfully it was all moot before too long.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2024, 09:17:59 PM »

Everyone trying to contact Brian at that time was "screened", whether by phone or in person. And if you talk to people who were involved, it went far beyond screening calls with Landy's attempts to shut off outside contact with Brian unless it was strictly monitored and controlled. That's fact, and it was not a good scene. Anyone who defends Landy in this later phase of his involvement is delusional.

One of the worst instances of this was mentioned in Mike’s autobiography. Gary Usher was trying to contact Brian to let him know about his terminal illness and Landy told everyone not to let Brian know. Fortunately someone with a conscience did let Brian know, and the two of them met for a couple of times (mentioned in The Wilson Project) before Usher passed away.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2024, 11:18:12 PM »

Between when I first saw Diane Sawyer's report when it originally aired in 1991 and when I just rewatched it on youtube a week ago, one of the bits in the report that stuck with me all those years was Dean Torrence saying that he had tried to call Brian 10 or 15 times... followed by the clip of Brian totally unaware of Dean's calls and dismissive of the very idea.  It was heartbreaking to see so plainly that Brian's decades-long friendships had been so badly undermined by Landy.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2024, 12:30:34 PM »

I didn't see it posted here yet, but it may delight some members of the forum. Here's the recording of "What A Wonderful World" that Brian did together with Van Dyke Parks (arrangement) for his wedding with Melinda, which they danced to that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L5PmtMezdA
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 08:07:34 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2024, 02:08:37 PM »

I didn't see it posted here yet, but it may delight some members of the forum. Here's the recording of "What A Wonderful World" that Brian did together with Van Dyke Parks (arrangement) for his wedding with Melinda, which they danced to that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L5PmtMezdA

Yeah, it was released on the "Orange Crate Art" re-release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQoWOcw_Pl8

I didn't know he did this for Melinda. Always thought it was an OCA outtake. A very nice recording with quite an intimate atmosphere.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2024, 05:21:04 AM »

Did we ever find out Melinda's cause of death?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2024, 01:38:27 PM »

Oddly, the version of What a Wonderful World released on the OCA deluxe edition was different than the previously booted one. No orchestra.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2024, 09:23:08 PM »

Oddly, the version of What a Wonderful World released on the OCA deluxe edition was different than the previously booted one. No orchestra.

Which may explain how the story developed that he recorded it for Melinda. Perhaps he took the OCA version (same vocals), and removed the electric keyboards and added the orchestration.

I prefer the orchestrated version; the VDP keyboards (or whomever is playing them) on the OCA version are very fake-90s-keyboard sounding, almost a bit like 80s Bruce Johnston keyboard arrangements, one of the few dated elements of the OCA album as a whole despite otherwise being mostly quite timelessly-orchestrated/arranged.

But the OCA version on the deluxe set from a few years ago obviously has much, much better sound quality than the murky orchestrated version that has circulated for years.

I dug the deluxe set with the bonus backing tracks, but I've always wondered why they didn't go with vocals-only rather than instrumental-only, as I think Brian fans would much prefer the vocals. Perhaps VDP wanted to showcase his part in the album more.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 09:24:44 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2024, 02:16:49 PM »

Does anyone know if Orange Crate Art 25th Reissue is available to buy or stream digitally?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2024, 07:47:47 PM »

Does anyone know if Orange Crate Art 25th Reissue is available to buy or stream digitally?

I think it's still available at all the usual places. I see it on CD (with free "autorip" download) on Amazon, and it's also available simply to download, and it's also on Spotify to stream.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2024, 09:57:06 PM »

Thanks. It seems for my region of Spotify (Canada), only the original 12-track version is available.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2024, 06:22:41 AM »

Yeah the full 25th anniversary version is on Apple Music to stream I Just looked
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2024, 12:23:12 PM »

David Leafs eulogy from Tuesday March 5th is towards the bottom of the page here https://www.brianwilson.com/melinda

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2024, 04:15:01 PM »

David Leafs eulogy from Tuesday March 5th is towards the bottom of the page here https://www.brianwilson.com/melinda

Beautiful and clearly heartfelt words from DL.  The fellow is a mensch.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx