gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 09:38:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PET SQUARES #18: Party Side 2 + The Little Girl I Once Knew  (Read 770 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2024, 05:10:00 PM »

Hi everyone, pleased to share Episode 18 of PET SQUARES: A GEEK'S GUIDE TO THE BEACH BOYS.  I think this is one of the best shows so far, covering side two of BEACH BOYS PARTY and a *very* deep dive into both "Barbara Ann" and the concurrent single "The Little Girl I Once Knew," including a breakdown of song vocal areas and the intro. Enjoy and share!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wht3WCMypoE
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 07:24:38 PM »

Very interesting. Thanks for this! Will start with the TLGIOK part soon.

Re: Ruby Baby, yes, Dion & The Belmonts cut it and probably were the inspiration for the Beach Boys. But the original was by The Drifters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2hVa8KHFFU

Written by Leiber & Stoller. Brian cut a version of this song around 15 Big Ones. Speaking of Leiber & Stoller it's interesting to note how much of the material had a connection to them. "One Kiss led to another", "Ruby Baby", "Riot in cell block no. 9", "Smokey Joe's Cafe" all written by them, "The Boy from New York City" produced by them. Maybe just coincidence, though. In the end none of them were used anyway.

EDIT:

Couldn't agree more with you on TLGIOK. Everything you mentioned about it is how I feel as well.

BTW this was once featured on Brian's website, don't know if it still is. Lennon's reaton to TLGIOK reminded me of this.

Brian Wilson And John Lennon On The Phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VgutMOXygg

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 08:04:46 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 06:30:16 PM »

This was just posted by Brian's Facebook account. I thought it would fit pretty nicely.

1965: Brian outside the recording studio with a local Girl Scout troop, promoting the new Beach Boys single, “The Little Girl I Once Knew.”

I have to say though that having the Girl Scouts pose with the single makes the lyrics a little creepy.
A + for Brian's clothes.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 08:52:06 PM »

Superb stuff, even more than usual, Adam--we are getting a deeply considered, exhaustively researched, and wonderfully constructed history of the band as you move closer and closer to the apex of the golden age. No question but that you're rising to the occasion and adding significant new insight as you go along, including this forceful revaluation of "The Little Girl I Once Knew," providing its musical/historical context and (1000% rightfully) championing it as the pinnacle of the "innocent phase" of Brian's engagement with the evolving sixties sounds around him. From here on, he moves into a world totally his own, and I hope you'll find a way to show how that's the case when moving into the discussion of PET SOUNDS.

And that point about "The Little Girl Once Knew" being a conscious statement by Brian and Darian etal during the early live touring efforts is spot on. Having been at several of those shows, and having loved the track for more than two decades after discovering it (languishing on a Pickwick compilation LP), I was thrilled beyond measure when they opened with it and sent into a special realm of rapture when they totally nailed it. Thanks for doing it justice!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx