gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681549 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 12:24:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thank you to Melinda and everyone else in Brian's life  (Read 2412 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2023, 10:57:15 AM »

I was watching the "evolution of Brian Wilson" video on YouTube last night, and I was blown away by the 180º turnaround in his voice (and other band/instrument qualities) from the mid-90s onward. And it's a mostly consistent great voice from the mid-90s onward. It's just crazy to hear it summed up in 10 minutes on that video.

That evolution video showcases the absolute horrific changes in Brian's life during the 70s and 80s - it was crazy to see him going from normal Brian to 300 pounds, ragged looking, to the atrocious skinny ken-doll look that Landy forced onto him. But then in the mid-90s onward Brian just looks like an average Joe. And he sounds great - his songs, his voice, they all have a consistent/coherent polish.

I know it's somehow "cool" in some circles to constantly hate on Melinda...but you can't deny her involvement in Brian's life and his simultaneous vast improvement in health, music, etc. And I realize that it's also the positive influence from so many people in his life during this time (from bandmates to close friends).

Someone wrote in the comment section of that video: "It's so unsettling to see his eyes darken and getting sunken as his inner turmoil deepens, but it's so heartwarming to see them brightening up as if he were a child again as he grows older." - that sums it all up. You can see it in his eyes, you can especially hear it in his music. Obviously he's had bumps in the road during these years, but I can't imagine he'd still be with us if it weren't for the love/support he's had since Melinda came on the scene.

Anywho, it's probably corny, but a huge THANK YOU to Melinda and to all others who have shown Brian love for the last 30+ years. You've given him and all of us fans such an incredible gift.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 02:43:19 PM »

Great post, Rab and it mirrors my thoughts to a T!! I've met Melinda twice and she was very genuine in my eyes.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 05:18:57 PM »

I was watching the "evolution of Brian Wilson" video on YouTube last night, and I was blown away by the 180º turnaround in his voice (and other band/instrument qualities) from the mid-90s onward. And it's a mostly consistent great voice from the mid-90s onward. It's just crazy to hear it summed up in 10 minutes on that video.

That evolution video showcases the absolute horrific changes in Brian's life during the 70s and 80s - it was crazy to see him going from normal Brian to 300 pounds, ragged looking, to the atrocious skinny ken-doll look that Landy forced onto him. But then in the mid-90s onward Brian just looks like an average Joe. And he sounds great - his songs, his voice, they all have a consistent/coherent polish.

I know it's somehow "cool" in some circles to constantly hate on Melinda...but you can't deny her involvement in Brian's life and his simultaneous vast improvement in health, music, etc. And I realize that it's also the positive influence from so many people in his life during this time (from bandmates to close friends).

Someone wrote in the comment section of that video: "It's so unsettling to see his eyes darken and getting sunken as his inner turmoil deepens, but it's so heartwarming to see them brightening up as if he were a child again as he grows older." - that sums it all up. You can see it in his eyes, you can especially hear it in his music. Obviously he's had bumps in the road during these years, but I can't imagine he'd still be with us if it weren't for the love/support he's had since Melinda came on the scene.

Anywho, it's probably corny, but a huge THANK YOU to Melinda and to all others who have shown Brian love for the last 30+ years. You've given him and all of us fans such an incredible gift.

I'm also immensely grateful for Melinda and for others who have helped Brian. Sometimes I'm amazed that, given his struggles, not only has he outlived both his brothers, but he also gave us a surprise (and rather fine) recording and touring career later in life.

I had a seat near the front for the 50th anniversary concert I attended. During one of the closing songs when Brian was playing bass, he stopped singing momentarily and contorted his face. (Since Brian has said he still experiences auditory hallucinations even while performing, I assumed that was the reason.) I saw him say to someone seated nearby, "Where's Melinda?" That spoke to me as to what a support she is to him.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 02:28:19 PM »

I'm also immensely grateful for Melinda and for others who have helped Brian. Sometimes I'm amazed that, given his struggles, not only has he outlived both his brothers, but he also gave us a surprise (and rather fine) recording and touring career later in life.

I had a seat near the front for the 50th anniversary concert I attended. During one of the closing songs when Brian was playing bass, he stopped singing momentarily and contorted his face. (Since Brian has said he still experiences auditory hallucinations even while performing, I assumed that was the reason.) I saw him say to someone seated nearby, "Where's Melinda?" That spoke to me as to what a support she is to him.

Or he wanted to make sure she wasn't getting into a fist fight with Mike's wife LOL But for real that's an awesome story.

My only issue with his recording career is that there isn't more of it! I very much had hoped he would make his rock & roll album Pleasure Island and am sad that that never happened (there is still time, but I highly doubt it will happen). But he has given us so much more than we could've imagined or deserved.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 04:37:11 PM »

My only issue with his recording career is that there isn't more of it! I very much had hoped he would make his rock & roll album Pleasure Island and am sad that that never happened (there is still time, but I highly doubt it will happen). But he has given us so much more than we could've imagined or deserved.

I think the soundtrack to the documentary was meant to be that album, more or less. They apparently did Johnny B. Goode and possibly another rock tune or two at the sessions but didn't finish them. Then Brian's health took a turn for the worse. I think everyone assumed they would get back to it, but they had to instead fill the album with the Paley tracks.

For me, I think the lack of another fully original studio album after No Pier Pressure (2016-2018) was a missed opportunity. Brian was getting big bookings after the biopic and everyone wanted more live Pet Sounds, but it sucked up the time and energy from everything else.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 07:09:11 PM »

I think the soundtrack to the documentary was meant to be that album, more or less. They apparently did Johnny B. Goode and possibly another rock tune or two at the sessions but didn't finish them. Then Brian's health took a turn for the worse. I think everyone assumed they would get back to it, but they had to instead fill the album with the Paley tracks.

For me, I think the lack of another fully original studio album after No Pier Pressure (2016-2018) was a missed opportunity. Brian was getting big bookings after the biopic and everyone wanted more live Pet Sounds, but it sucked up the time and energy from everything else.

Yeah, the "Long Promised Road" soundtrack ended up sort of being akin to the George Harrison "Early Takes" CD that accompanied the Scorsese documentary. Essentially,  a grab bag of outtakes, some of which were featured in the film.

I'm all for more archival Brian solo releases too (he has essentially released a whole extra CD's worth of outtakes on his website).

But the LPR soundtrack was certainly puzzlingly low-key, released with little fanfare or publicity.

I thought "No Pier Pressure" was a mixed bag, but he undoubtedly had/has more material that could have formed a relatively quick follow-up.

You also have to wonder what's ever going to happen to what was apparently essentially a whole second album's worth of material that was leftover from the 2012 reunion album. Even assuming a few got repurposed for "No Pier Pressure", I'm curious what that extra album's worth of 2012 Beach Boys material looks like. How finished were the tracks? How about just putting *that* stuff out next year to accompany the new documentary? Perhaps Mike is still *that* pissed at Joe Thomas that he doesn't want the stuff out.

Depending on how strong that material is, and how unwilling Mike would be to get it come out as a "Beach Boys" project, I say get Al and Matt in there with some of Brian's guys to finish the stuff off.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 04:09:02 AM »

Great thread rab. I too feel very lucky to know Brian is still with us, and it's also amazing to think about all the wonderful work he's done since Melinda came on the scene in a big way. Sure, not everything is to everybody's taste, but just the fact that we got Brian on tour and enjoying it, some really great solo songs, both Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE and The SMiLE Sessions, the That's Why God Made The Radio album and the 2012 reunion tour, and a lot of other great stuff, it's just amazing. He's done some of my favorite vocals during this era, straight up. Something like his cover of Buddy Holly's "Listen to Me," beautiful.

I just hope he's in a good place now. I hope he's enjoying his life with his family and friends. He's given us a lot.  Do I hope that we hear a bit more from him? Sure I do. But if not, and he just wants to relax, fine with me.

Thank you to all who've worked to make Brian's life better and all those who've shown him love.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2023, 02:59:08 AM »

I agree with rab to a point - and we've had our disagreements in the past. I agree that Brian looked horrible during much of the 70's; then there's an improvement post-Landy; even in 1979 he was looking pretty good. But then the downward spiral began again. 1982 was absolute rock bottom.
So I am thankful that Carl recognized this, and took the steps to bring Dr. Landy back. It's unfortunate that Landy later refused to let go, and insisted on being Brian's songwriting partner and co-producer, but initially, his therapy seemed to do Brian a world of good. I remember seeing Brian on one of those ET/Evening type shows during the Xmas holidays in 1983, and being amazed at his transformation. "Is that really Brian? He looks more like Glen Campbell - suntanned, healthy, great hair, slimmed down".
If Carl hadn't taken the steps to bring Landy back, who knows, Brian may not have lived much longer.
I just wish Carl were still here, too.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2023, 10:35:59 AM »

Hey Lonely Summer, thanks for your post. Your agreeing with me to a point could be a matter of my post intentionally having a very quick overview of Brian’s 70s/80s life (and not being in-depth enough to credit Landy for Brian making a weight/health reversal from his 300 pound era). While I agree that Brian did look better from his 300 pound self, there were also moments in pictures and video where clearly something isn't right - Brian looks healthy, but his eyes look vacant. Brian looks tan and thin, but he's also doped up to the point where's he nearly drooling on a TV interview.

I quickly looked up some Brian Wilson interviews on YouTube - one from 1984, and his Letterman appearance in 1988 - what a stark contrast in demeanor. He seems absolutely mentally with it in 1984, and just 4 years later he's acting like he's a patient of Nurse Ratched. So while there was improvement in the 80s, a quick overview shows he was still on a downward spiral (which I'm sure we'd both fully agree on).

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2023, 10:44:24 AM »

Great post, Rab and it mirrors my thoughts to a T!! I've met Melinda twice and she was very genuine in my eyes.

Sadly, some fans don’t appreciate the care Brian has been given since 1991. I often wonder if these fans wish Brian had never met Melinda. In the spirit of the season, it makes me think of ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ where George Bailey gets to see what life would be like without him. While some fans despise Melinda’s presence in Brian’s life, I wonder if these fans have taken the time to wonder what Brian’s life would look like had he never met her. I’m sure they’d envision a life full of re-blossoming creative power that leads Brian to creating a series of solo albums that rival his genius on Pet Sounds. Or perhaps Brian reunites with The Beach Boys and they create a resurgence of commercial success unrivaled by any of their contemporaries. Or perhaps it’s a life of small creative achievements accompanied by Brian living a happy single/bachelor lifestyle until he’s 90 years old.

Yet the stark reality is that Brian has severe mental issues that aren’t treated/solved by Brian being best-buds with creatives in the studio. His mental issues were never treated by fame. His mental issues could never be alleviated solely by him never getting remarried.

Brian is a person who, *with* medication, hears voices that tell him to kill himself. He is a person who, when given the reins to his life, nearly killed himself with an overabundant diet of steak and cocaine. In a world where Brian never meets Melinda, who is the person who facilitates Brian’s physical and mental care (to the point where he beats ALL the odds and is living into his 80s)? Who is the person who manages Brian’s financial wealth (to the point where his children’s children’s children will never have to worry about money)? Who is the person who helps manage Brian’s music career (to where he has 10+ quality solo albums and an incredible live performing career post-91)?

I think the most important question is this: is Brian living a happier life now than he would be if he had never met Melinda? Or should we ask if Brian would even be alive now had he never met Melinda?

We will never know that. What we do know is that a man who had a lifetime of heavy drug use, nearly died of overdose, who is a manic depressive with schizoaffective disorder is still alive at 81 years old. That is a miracle straight from the creator Himself - and to not credit Melinda or anyone else currently in Brian’s life as an instrument in such a miracle is asinine.

I think what saved Brian, and what still keeps him alive to this day, is the collective love from every imperfect person that has cared for Brian all his life - be it Carl, be it Peter Reum, be it Marylin or Melinda, his children/friends, be it the fans who cheer Brian on through the thick and thin, etc.. Their love coupled with Brian’s big heart have kept him going all these years.

I just hope he's in a good place now. I hope he's enjoying his life with his family and friends. He's given us a lot.  Do I hope that we hear a bit more from him? Sure I do. But if not, and he just wants to relax, fine with me.

This is exactly where I'm at now, too. I just want him to be happy - if that means being on the road, in the studio, or being at home watching The Price is Right. Given his age and physical capabilities, I hope he's doing the best he can right now.

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2023, 08:08:35 PM »

man who had a lifetime of heavy drug use

I'm not sure that "lifetime" is a totally fair descriptor.  Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that, over the course of approximately 15-20 years, Brian had periods of heavy drug use?  Without a doubt, though, drug use comparable to Brian's during those bouts would have and did kill many of his peers, cf. Elvis, Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon and many others.  It is indeed a minor miracle that Brian is very much alive at 4 score and 1.5 .  I agree that Melinda deserves a big share of the credit for Brian's survival, but it does "take a village," and Carl Wilson as well as friends such David Leaf and all the Peter Reums and Jeff Fosketts and Darian Sahanaja's in Brian's life have made their own contributions as well.  But you know who, I think ultimately deserves the lion's share of the credit for Brian Wilson's survival?  One Brian Douglas Wilson. There's a tendency to see Brian as this rather helpless, semi-passive player in his destiny.  But I do think most of this boils down to Brian's own will to survive and actions of surrounding himself with the right people and making healthier choices
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 08:13:30 PM by juggler » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2023, 09:43:48 PM »

I'm not sure that "lifetime" is a totally fair descriptor.  Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that, over the course of approximately 15-20 years, Brian had periods of heavy drug use?  Without a doubt, though, drug use comparable to Brian's during those bouts would have and did kill many of his peers, cf. Elvis, Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon and many others.  It is indeed a minor miracle that Brian is very much alive at 4 score and 1.5 .  I agree that Melinda deserves a big share of the credit for Brian's survival, but it does "take a village," and Carl Wilson as well as friends such David Leaf and all the Peter Reums and Jeff Fosketts and Darian Sahanaja's in Brian's life have made their own contributions as well.  But you know who, I think ultimately deserves the lion's share of the credit for Brian Wilson's survival?  One Brian Douglas Wilson. There's a tendency to see Brian as this rather helpless, semi-passive player in his destiny.  But I do think most of this boils down to Brian's own will to survive and actions of surrounding himself with the right people and making healthier choices

Yeah "lifetime" is probably not the best descriptor. Also want to add that I forget if Brian's voices tell him to "kill himself" as I wrote above - I do know they say absolutely horrible things, but I'm not 100% on what I wrote above.

Everything else I totally agree. I hope my previous post did clarify that I think Brian is a huge part of his own survival (hence my mentioning how his big heart has helped him overcome so much with the help of others). If I've learned anything from my years of being a fan, it's that most everything I've read/heard about Brian Wilson (especially from his detractors) is false - he is the furthest I could think of being helpless/vegetable. After hearing all that nonsense for years on end, and then watching him control soundcheck one night before a concert, I gotta say that's a man in control - and it's awesome to witness.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2023, 02:49:50 AM »

I'm not sure that "lifetime" is a totally fair descriptor.  Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that, over the course of approximately 15-20 years, Brian had periods of heavy drug use?  Without a doubt, though, drug use comparable to Brian's during those bouts would have and did kill many of his peers, cf. Elvis, Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon and many others.  
I've read of Keith Moon taking elephant tranquilizer - in one infamous show, he collapsed during a song, and the others had to call out for a drummer from the audience. I can't imagine Brian or even Dennis taking anything quite that strong!
Elvis, of course, was not into street drugs. He preferred to depend on various doctors for what he "needed". Hendrix, based on what little I read, was really not a heavy "druggie". I've read conflicting reports of his death.
Whatever the amount or length of Brian's drug abuse, I think it's fair to say that he was not a person who should have ever "dabbled". Some could and come out the other side intact - namely, John, Paul, George and Ringo. For others, it quickly got out of control.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2023, 10:40:57 AM »

Shots fired  LOL - It takes good timin...

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2024, 01:55:14 AM »

I'm not sure that "lifetime" is a totally fair descriptor.  Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that, over the course of approximately 15-20 years, Brian had periods of heavy drug use?  Without a doubt, though, drug use comparable to Brian's during those bouts would have and did kill many of his peers, cf. Elvis, Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Keith Moon and many others.  
I've read of Keith Moon taking elephant tranquilizer - in one infamous show, he collapsed during a song, and the others had to call out for a drummer from the audience. I can't imagine Brian or even Dennis taking anything quite that strong!
Elvis, of course, was not into street drugs. He preferred to depend on various doctors for what he "needed". Hendrix, based on what little I read, was really not a heavy "druggie". I've read conflicting reports of his death.
Whatever the amount or length of Brian's drug abuse, I think it's fair to say that he was not a person who should have ever "dabbled". Some could and come out the other side intact - namely, John, Paul, George and Ringo. For others, it quickly got out of control.
Don't forget Keef!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2024, 06:43:08 AM »

Don't forget Keef!

Keith at 80 is a sui generis miracle.  At the same tine, though, he certainly doesn't appear as overtly healthy and spry of an octogenarian as Messrs. McCartney and Starkey.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2024, 11:20:22 PM »

Gee…I wonder why that would be. 💉💊🥃 😴 🚬
 Wink
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2024, 05:26:13 PM »

Just one additional comment about Ringo... how amazing is he for 83? Especially when one considers what an unhealthy child he was, spending approximately 3 years of his youth as an in-patient at children's hospitals... living proof of the "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger" concept.  Such a rare "good guy" in the rock-star world, something that I think that fans picked up from the very beginning (making him the most popular Beatle for fan letters in the '60s).
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2024, 07:56:21 PM »

Just one additional comment about Ringo... how amazing is he for 83? Especially when one considers what an unhealthy child he was, spending approximately 3 years of his youth as an in-patient at children's hospitals... living proof of the "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger" concept.  Such a rare "good guy" in the rock-star world, something that I think that fans picked up from the very beginning (making him the most popular Beatle for fan letters in the '60s).
Yes, Ringo is amazingly healthy for an older guy. My mom had a similar childhood - very sickly, in and out of hospitals. Graduated late from high school because she had missed so much time over the years. Then had many, many years of healthy living.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2024, 11:59:09 PM »

How is Melinda doing lately?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 06:26:19 AM by send me a picture and i'll tell you » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx