gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 11:14:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Now and Then: are The Beach Boys missing something?  (Read 3469 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2023, 06:17:04 AM »

There is a lot of (deserved - the documentary released yesterday about Now and Then stomped out any fears of mine that the new single would disappoint) hype in the music world about the upcoming Beatles single (just another hour, I think!?), and it got me thinking: are there any Now and Then moments from The Beach Boys catalogue that could be used for a “reunion” album of sorts?

One song in particular stuck out to me: Thank Him. Smile AD’s AI version of that song is revelatory. While the song is clearly brilliant in its original demo form, using AI to make it sound clean really puts a spotlight on how incredible that song is.

Using Peter Jackson’s* technology I wonder if there are other songs that The Beach Boys could extract vocals, instruments, and then add their own stuff to it in the studio. Get a decent producer (yes, Brian would obviously spearhead the music production, but they’d really need someone to guide the boat as far as band relations and overall cohesive vintage sound go…someone keep Joe Thomas far far away from the studio).

*people call it Peter Jackson’s technology, however I do not know if he was the one who wrote the code for the algorithm or just popularized an already existing technology.

One thing that comes to mind: just because you can doesn’t mean you should. As it seems everything this band touches always has some ridiculous caveat (whether it’s autotune, infighting, etc), I highly doubt a project like this would be as successful as it could be. But in a perfect world, I wonder if something like this could happen: A full album of tastefully completed vintage beach boys demos released in 2023, further showcasing the band’s brilliance.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 02:44:14 PM »

The band still have like 37 albums worth of finished unreleased stuff, so I'm not sure I need to hear the "overdubbing-on-a-home-demo" thing with them. The archives is where it's at.

Plus, they had a gazillion opportunities to use Carl and Dennis material, including vocals, from a million sources for the 2012 reunion album and they chose not to. They even all ran out of the room screaming when Al tried to bring "Waves of Love" in for them to work on with the Carl vocals.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 03:00:42 PM »

The Beach Boys had a lot longer career than the 8-9 years of The Beatles. For better or worse, there was a lot more albums and songs actually completed and released and if a song was actually ‘found’ where it could be done, it was probably ‘lost’ for good reason.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 05:25:33 PM »

But I think that’s partially my point: in the crazy amount of years these guys were a band, solo or together, they made a lot of music, much of it still in demo form, and I just thought that while our guys were still alive and breathing it would be interesting for them to find an album’s worth of songs that were left unfinished (or songs they weren’t happy with) to make a “reunion” album of sorts.

Frankly this was more of a thought experiment to get some life back on this forum so thanks for contributing LOL more of an abstract thing, not something I legit think should or could happen.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 03:52:40 AM »

I am not that impressed by the song…..it’s only ok John…clearly unfinished…and while it brings a smile it doesn’t add to the legacy (but is certainly inoffensive)
aingevt
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 11:00:31 AM »

But I think that’s partially my point: in the crazy amount of years these guys were a band, solo or together, they made a lot of music, much of it still in demo form, and I just thought that while our guys were still alive and breathing it would be interesting for them to find an album’s worth of songs that were left unfinished (or songs they weren’t happy with) to make a “reunion” album of sorts.

Frankly this was more of a thought experiment to get some life back on this forum so thanks for contributing LOL more of an abstract thing, not something I legit think should or could happen.

I 100% agree. All those partially finished songs we've gotten in compilations over the years (It's Natural, Ecology, Walkin', Lonely Days, etc...) are just crying to be finished. Some additional lyrics, a few melodies, and the boys to sing them is all they need to my ears. Would they be universally praised as classics and sell millions? No. But to a long time fan like myself, it would bring me great joy.

It's not too late!! Most of the boys, not to mention their children, still sound great! If they really wanted, they could even bring the AI in to make their voices sound younger to match the old demos. Meanwhile, Mr. Jardine is out there working on Waves of Love 7.2c. Come on folks! I need "I've Got A Friend" finished in 2024.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 07:22:07 PM »

I think the difference with all this is that "Now and Then" seems like it has been a passion project of Paul's, whereas I highly doubt any of The Beach Boys are pining to add anything to "Lonely Days" or "It's Natural" or whatever. But if they wanted to, shoot, I'm all in.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2023, 08:10:56 AM »

I am not that impressed by the song…..it’s only ok John…clearly unfinished…and while it brings a smile it doesn’t add to the legacy (but is certainly inoffensive)

Try this version: It's an interpretation by a musician named David Rodriguez under the name DreamerJazz, imagining the song as if the Beatles played it on Ed Sullivan in '64.

David's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dreamerjazz352/

And here's the track, skip to 1:08 for the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tSefoJDKsU

It works in this context, sounds a lot like Lennon's 1963 era songwriting, more than the new version.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2023, 03:46:59 AM »

Try this version: It's an interpretation by a musician named David Rodriguez under the name DreamerJazz, imagining the song as if the Beatles played it on Ed Sullivan in '64.

It works in this context, sounds a lot like Lennon's 1963 era songwriting, more than the new version.

This is great! In many ways I prefer it to the real release.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 05:32:58 AM »

I ran across this as well! Was very impressed with how well that kid transferred the song to a completely different era.

I said it in another thread, but it's less about the songwriting itself and more about hearing one last "reunion". The song isn't on par with their best work, or even really their middle-of-the-road work, but it makes me a very happy camper hearing John's voice come through clearly on an official record, and hearing 'The Beatles' play their instruments "together" one last time.

'Free as a Bird' and 'Real Love' feel like this for me as well - and granted those have much more defined structure and cohesive songwriting, but they still feel exactly like what they are: Lennon demos with instruments/voices tacked over them. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. And likewise, 'Now and Then' feels like a more polished version of that, only the songwriting isn't as up-to-par.

Anyways, it's a treat to hear, nothing more, nothing less. In an age where vulgar and seemingly talentless music flood the top of the charts, I'll take this any day over that other drivel.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2023, 06:46:10 PM »

Well…I listened to it again and it hit me more-obviously it packs some emotional weight….the power of music
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx