gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:18:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Love talks solo LP and working with Dad on Surf's Up podcast  (Read 1394 times)
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2023, 10:11:36 AM »

Hey all,

Wanted to give you the heads-up that Phil Miglioratti and I have dropped a new episode of Surf's Up: A Beach Boys Podcast Safari with guest Christian Love. I haven't seen many previous interviews with him, so it was great to have some time with him before he hit the road with the touring Beach Boys. He talks about his new solo album Only Alibis -- which is really good, check it out -- as well as working with his pop, his relationships with the other original band members (no problem with Al, Carl was sweet, Dennis was scary, no relationship with Brian), the touring group's recent shakeup, collabbing with The Weeknd, The BBs' future, the songs he most likes to sing, and his favorite BBs LP (not what you would expect!) You can find it on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Alexa, Amazon Music, Audible, and on Soundcloud here: https://soundcloud.com/user-93394161/christian-love-talks-solo-album-and-working-with-dad

P.S. I forgot to post here about our recent episode featuring Dean Torrence, which was also eye-opening for us. He discusses his recent archival release The Teammates, which collects many of his musical collaborations from 1965-1985, including some with Mike and Bruce. He also tells us about efforts with The Carpenters and Steve Martin. Of course he talks about being gifted "Surf City" by Brian; Jan & Dean's ill-fated TV pilot On the Run, and the role Dennis would have played on it; cult favorite Jan and Dean Meet Batman; and how TV biopic Deadman's Curve got Jan & Dean seats aboard The Beach Boys' private jet. You can find that one here: https://soundcloud.com/user-93394161/dean-torrence-talks-about-the-teammates
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 10:13:47 AM by Mark Dillon » Logged

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 06:16:04 PM »

Great stuff! I do look forward to these podcasts, even if I may forget to check in on them for a few months at a time. The interviews are always thoughtfully conducted and you do a great service to give spotlight to some of the less prominent speakers in the Beach Boys circle; it was a delight to hear how down to earth the young Lovester sounds -- he really strikes me as a sensible guy. And I have enjoyed what I have heard of his album as well, it isn't exactly "Beach Boys music" but I'm glad to see him chasing some sort of artistic flame. I've thought for a long time it would be great to get a "solo" album from Matt Jardine (with or without features from associates of the organization), but he seems content performing with his pops. And even Carnie & Wendy (who also seem to be content occasionally performing with Al) seem to have other things than releasing studio-recorded music on their minds. Aside from the 'California Music Presents Add Some Music' project, I'm not aware of much anything in the last decade. But I digress...

I really enjoyed listening to the podcast, and look forward to remembering to check for another one! Wonderful work! Thanks a bunch for your time and effort!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 06:06:59 AM »

Thanks for posting the ink, that was a very open, honest frank interview. In the Beach Boys world, that doesn't always happen. Finally got honest answers to things like why Totten and Cowsill left the touring band, the relationships between some of the other guys, the future direction of the band and maybe Christian taking over, etc.... lots of good stuff. Not a huge fan of his voice in the context of the Beach Boys, but his cd sounded pretty good. Tx!
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 05:45:03 PM »

Thanks FreakySmiley and Tony S. We appreciate you tuning in and the kind words. I had never read interviews with Christian before, and yes, found his candor quite refreshing.

Great stuff! I do look forward to these podcasts, even if I may forget to check in on them for a few months at a time. The interviews are always thoughtfully conducted and you do a great service to give spotlight to some of the less prominent speakers in the Beach Boys circle; it was a delight to hear how down to earth the young Lovester sounds -- he really strikes me as a sensible guy. And I have enjoyed what I have heard of his album as well, it isn't exactly "Beach Boys music" but I'm glad to see him chasing some sort of artistic flame. I've thought for a long time it would be great to get a "solo" album from Matt Jardine (with or without features from associates of the organization), but he seems content performing with his pops. And even Carnie & Wendy (who also seem to be content occasionally performing with Al) seem to have other things than releasing studio-recorded music on their minds. Aside from the 'California Music Presents Add Some Music' project, I'm not aware of much anything in the last decade. But I digress...

I really enjoyed listening to the podcast, and look forward to remembering to check for another one! Wonderful work! Thanks a bunch for your time and effort!

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx