gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:45:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Cowsill Fired  (Read 3339 times)
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2023, 02:21:23 PM »

Apologies if this was discussed elsewhere, but this is the first I'm hearing or seeing anything about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AeCa8cLbP4
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 06:16:30 AM »

New drummer for the Beach Boys Tribute Band...he sounds ok, no great shakes either way, especially for what has become a Tribute Band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Per5fkRelEk
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 09:19:18 AM »

New drummer for the Beach Boys Tribute Band...he sounds ok, no great shakes either way, especially for what has become a Tribute Band.

Atta boy, Tony! Just another nail in the sad, sad old coffin of Mike Love's, overwith years ago, copy band. It's difficult to realize that anyone in their right mind would waste their time following this ancient junket. While the music is timeless, the performers are pathetically NOT. GIVE IT UP!!!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 06:36:52 PM »

Atta boy, Tony! Just another nail in the sad, sad old coffin of Mike Love's, overwith years ago, copy band. It's difficult to realize that anyone in their right mind would waste their time following this ancient junket. While the music is timeless, the performers are pathetically NOT. GIVE IT UP!!!
Tribute bands are a big thing now. Just recently, we had The Guess Who tribute band play in my area. I see Little River Band tribute band is coming soon. We've also got tributes to Firefall, Pure Prairie League, Spin Doctors, Smash Mouth and the Temptations due here soon. Some people never got to see the real groups, so they go see the tribute bands. I never got to see the Beatles in concert, but I've seen Rain, 1964, Yesterday, Creme Tangerine, and Wings 'N' Things. No harm done.
The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 11:51:40 AM »

I sure hope that John gets back with The Cowsills. They just put out a new CD and are still sounding good. The touring bboys band has become a joke.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 11:54:28 AM »

I sure hope that John gets back with The Cowsills. They just put out a new CD and are still sounding good. The touring bboys band has become a joke.
I'm sure Mike's beach boys will be playing Trump rallies next year.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2023, 12:03:19 PM »

Better be careful! The other board is threatening to delete comments and shut down threads at the slightest mention of politics being involved in the firings.
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2023, 05:20:18 PM »

There is a reason I never posted there, even though I read that board almost daily.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 04:37:36 PM »

Better be careful! The other board is threatening to delete comments and shut down threads at the slightest mention of politics being involved in the firings.
"Firings?" Plural?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 06:22:34 AM »

"Firings?" Plural?

Totten and Cowsill were both replaced at the same time.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2023, 09:19:01 AM »

"Firings?" Plural?

Totten and Cowsill were both replaced at the same time.

John has apparently said he was fired, but I don't recall that Scott has indicated that he (Scott) was fired.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 09:20:04 AM by patsy6 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2023, 11:13:05 AM »

As far as I can tell, Totten has not said anything about his departure beyond the fact that it occurred.

Cowsill has said he was "let go."

They both played their last show on the same night.

I don't think it's far fetched to think it's pretty darn likely Totten also did not choose to retire from the band.

As for the reasons, I've talked to a few folks and heard some possible reasons. The stuff I've seen elsewhere (e.g. Bruce had them fired for not being Republican enough, and other goofy stuff to that effect) is not accurate. I absolutely believe John Stamos has more sway on Mike Love's personnel decisions than Bruce Johnston, so I highly doubt Bruce would ever be the brainchild of someone's firing.

If what I've heard is accurate, there's no big crazy, particularly dramatic reason for their departure. It's just more of the part and parcel for how the backing band thing has gone for decades and decades. It wasn't like literally for *no reason* obviously. But nothing extraordinary in my opinion.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2023, 12:33:37 PM »

I don't know the details. But I thought the Mike Love is evil stuff was just an internet fad like 15 years ago! Obviously, I haven't been on this message board as much as I used to because I have been busy.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx