gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:37:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
FatherOfTheMan Sr101, STE, alovisi, MDC (+ 2 Hidden) and 61 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The most stunning Beach Boys AI I've heard yet  (Read 20639 times)
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2023, 08:03:49 PM »

Love “I wanna be around” so much. Great work here. I think eventually Smile’s legacy will be just as it began: incomplete. Due to the ability to continue tinkering with it so much. I know for a fact there is still more Smile stuff in the vault. Will we get it? Don’t know.

I’m hoping for some Dennis AI to be applied to You’re so Good to Me (a song he originally was going to sing). Or I just wasn’t made for these times (a song he may have had a pass at and could still be present vocally). But most importantly: a day in the life of a tree. The first two would require a different Dennis vocal than Tree, however.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2023, 08:47:46 AM »

I really want to hear 1971 Brian singing A Day in the Life of a Tree. Salivatingly so.  LOL
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2023, 01:25:04 PM »

I really want to hear 1971 Brian singing A Day in the Life of a Tree. Salivatingly so.  LOL

Great idea!

Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2023, 11:42:38 AM »

Love “I wanna be around” so much. Great work here. I think eventually Smile’s legacy will be just as it began: incomplete. Due to the ability to continue tinkering with it so much. I know for a fact there is still more Smile stuff in the vault. Will we get it? Don’t know.

I’m hoping for some Dennis AI to be applied to You’re so Good to Me (a song he originally was going to sing). Or I just wasn’t made for these times (a song he may have had a pass at and could still be present vocally). But most importantly: a day in the life of a tree. The first two would require a different Dennis vocal than Tree, however.

You know for a fact there is more SMiLE stuff in the vault.... how do you know... and how much !...?
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2023, 12:50:39 PM »

.?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2023, 03:38:43 PM »

Lots of possibilities of the AI as people point out. Personally I'd love to see both Dennis and Carl lead takes on Holy Man (with beach boys harmonies added, of course). Let's see what Dae Lims comes up with next!
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2023, 06:59:32 AM »

An "early" version of Our Sweet Love. Very sweet...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmVunCBgLnc
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2023, 05:28:25 PM »

An "early" version of Our Sweet Love. Very sweet...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmVunCBgLnc

Thanks, Joel. Proof here that someone with massive technical skills and a deep affinity/ability for recapturing the nuances with the Beach Boys' vocal blend can create a "fake" that fully honors the original creators. That "you and me/our happy home" round is nothing short of mind-blowing...I had "tears in the afternoon" listening to this a second, third, fourth time.

Hats off to Dae Lims!  Love
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2023, 08:42:55 PM »

Fresh off the presses, the Beach Boys do Little Anthony and the Imperials...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whqDJv6y76Y
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2023, 08:44:50 AM »

Another fantastic one!!

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2023, 08:26:53 PM »

The guys 'do" the Explorers Club.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLAIQiF-a6k
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2023, 02:24:04 PM »

Finally, a new Dae Lims creation. A gorgeous "1966" version of Let's Put Our Hearts Together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6OFV3QwWKw
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2023, 01:50:54 PM »

From the "vaults." Dae Lims unearthed 1960s version of She's Got Rhythm, in mono and with crackles straight from the 45! Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUgaztzcizk
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2023, 02:18:07 PM »

From the "vaults." Dae Lims unearthed 1960s version of She's Got Rhythm, in mono and with crackles straight from the 45! Wink

First one I've not been overly thrilled about. The quality is great - it's just that Brian's vocal sounds too polished. The track kinda sounds like it would fit perfectly on an early 2000's arthritis prescription medicine commercial. Reminds me of AGD's comment (I forget it he said it or if he heard it from somewhere else) about Soulful Old Man Sunshine sounding like it was made for a shampoo/conditioner commercial haha.

Whereas the MIU version is great because it doesn't sound polished...while Brian is trying to sound like his younger self, he still sounds gruff - has sort of a 'Drip Drop', 'Shortenin Bread' vibe that really makes the corniness of the composition work.

Just my two cents, but as always, smile AD does a fantastic job creating/mixing!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2023, 11:58:09 PM »

I have thoroughly enjoyed all of these, especially the most recent two from Dae Lims.  Even aside from the cool AI component, they are excellent and well-done recordings.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2023, 03:05:49 AM »

First one I've not been overly thrilled about. The quality is great - it's just that Brian's vocal sounds too polished. The track kinda sounds like it would fit perfectly on an early 2000's arthritis prescription medicine commercial. Reminds me of AGD's comment (I forget it he said it or if he heard it from somewhere else) about Soulful Old Man Sunshine sounding like it was made for a shampoo/conditioner commercial haha.

One commenter at YouTube felt the falsetto was too shrill, which I suppose is the (near) opposite of polished. To me it sounds like an up-tempo variant of the "Let Him Run Wild" chorus.

Agree that the backing track is a bit too faithful to the original, whereas something more in the interstice between SD/SN production and PS would be in order.

Whereas the MIU version is great because it doesn't sound polished...while Brian is trying to sound like his younger self, he still sounds gruff - has sort of a 'Drip Drop', 'Shortenin Bread' vibe that really makes the corniness of the composition work.

Just my two cents, but as always, smile AD does a fantastic job creating/mixing!

Let's face it, the original is not a great track. It's Brian trying to leverage something from the 15BO production style, but being a bit lazy and paint-by-numbers a la "It's OK" and trying to kinda "cheat" his way to an updated "old style" hit. Dae Lims gets the energy into Brian's lead, which takes that part of the song back into a liminal space more akin to between ASL and TODAY!, but Mike's part actually sounds as though it were lifted verbatim off the MIU version, which is a bit jarring.

But all of this is merely quibbling...this is so catchy and joyous that it reminds us that the band's pre-PS material was the apotheosis of (lost) 60s innocence, and anyone who can channel it as masterfully as Dae Lims should be bowed down to reflexively, repetitively, reverentially.

Now, if he wants to try to rework some selected tracks from PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE for a less blemished vocal sound from Dennis...that could be pretty awesome as well.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2024, 02:03:39 PM »

The latest, and a very nice one, young Brian and the Beach Boys sing Gershwin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1PHUL9uzLc
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 02:04:58 PM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2024, 04:09:04 PM »

Oh man that's awesome!

Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2024, 08:11:53 PM »

Is that not AI Carl singing lead?
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2024, 10:31:39 PM »

Sounds like either, come to think of it. Maybe it's a Carl-Brian AI blend.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2024, 11:00:27 PM »

Some tasteful moments from AI Al, AI Carl, and AI Brian. Bravo again.
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2024, 03:31:53 PM »

Sounds like either, come to think of it. Maybe it's a Carl-Brian AI blend.
It's  Carl singing lead, Al singing "the pain in painting " and an early 70s Brian singing " the muse in music"
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2024, 01:12:22 PM »

Dae Lims definitely deserves credit for putting all this overblown AI technology to creative use producing most rewarding results.  I'm still not entirely clear how he utilizes the tech though.  Is he singing the vocals himself and then running his voice through an AI genorator to change his voice to whomever he wants?  If that's the case then you have to really appreciate his skill.  Because I'm assuming you have to adopt the phrasing and tonality of the desired singer's voice to really pull off sounding like them.  In this most recent offering you can really pick out "Carl" and "Al" in the appropriate places.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Acechaser
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2024, 02:01:45 PM »

The Dae Lims AI stuff is incredible!  It would be great if he could use AI to "fix" the vocals in various BW recordings:

- Wilson/Paley tracks like Elbow '63 ("we made music ..."), Proud Mary, Slightly American Music + Going Home

- Intro to the Hallmark version of The Spirit of Rock N Roll

- How Could We Still Be Dancing ("dance the night away, dance the night away" and "hey everybody")

- Fairy Tale

« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 07:01:02 PM by Acechaser » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2024, 06:48:34 PM »

Dae Lims definitely deserves credit for putting all this overblown AI technology to creative use producing most rewarding results.  I'm still not entirely clear how he utilizes the tech though.  Is he singing the vocals himself and then running his voice through an AI genorator to change his voice to whomever he wants?  If that's the case then you have to really appreciate his skill.  Because I'm assuming you have to adopt the phrasing and tonality of the desired singer's voice to really pull off sounding like them.  In this most recent offering you can really pick out "Carl" and "Al" in the appropriate places.

I’m not sure if he does a breakdown of every track he works on, but he has streamed hour+ long breakdowns on YouTube where he goes into great detail about how he puts these together. Here is the one for the Like I Love in You:
https://www.youtube.com/live/N4EZSHqPVwQ?si=0hPO7cTuVajOo7yy

Speaking of which, that’s one of my favorite BW solo tracks - and this latest AI track is phenomenal!! Couldn’t have asked for a better mix.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx