gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:00:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The King's Singers “Please Let Me Wonder” (featuring Mike & Bruce)  (Read 653 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2023, 09:40:17 PM »

So the board(s) have been getting kinda boring lately. You've got Brian off the road and with not much known about possible new studio material. Mike just doing his meet and potatoes thing thing with Bruce and some new guys. And Al I guess playing some shows here and there.

So anyways, I just got the compilation Do It Again! The Songs Of Brian Wilson. There are a few interesting things on there. Fleetwood Mac's version of "The Farmer's Daughter", Celebration's "It's OK" and the 1971 version of Dean Torrence doing "Vegetables" (credited as Jan & Dean this go 'round rather than The Laughing Gravy), but funny enough the song that's got me interested is "Please Let Me Wonder" by The King's Singers, but featuring lead vocals from none other than Bruce and Mike.

Anyways, everybody here familiar with this version? It was released in 1997 on a King's Singers album. And let's just come out and say it: this is so adult contemporary that this makes Brian's Imagination sound like the first Clash album. The tinkly keyboards, the alto sax and its  little trills, the reverb, oof. Stuff like this reminds me why the Paley sessions had no chance.

A few interesting notes. You got Bruce singing the lead, as he has many times in concert over the years and then you also have Mike adding (previously unknown?) lyrics to the bridge. The King's Singers (who I admit I'm not familiar with) sound kinda staid and formal, but perhaps that's their thing. One thing I will say, that maybe I never found the words for, is how tight yet loose The Beach Boys harmonies are. The never sound uptight or staid, pretty much nearly always buoyant, regardless of era.

Thoughts from anyone on here on this oddity from the late '90s?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 07:48:24 AM by Jim V. » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 12:41:47 PM »

I have this version; it's a very nice performance, with nice vocals from Mike and Bruce. It's a nice CD too by the Kings Singers.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx