gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:17:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Love you" Box Set  (Read 3251 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2023, 05:59:51 PM »

As anticipated as the "Feel Flows" box set which is a treasure.

I find myself randomly fantasising about it weekly.

Any guesses on when it will arrive?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 07:53:28 PM »

Tomorrow if I were in charge!   Wink Head Spin
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 12:12:40 PM »

If we’re still going by 50 year anniversary like with the last two sets, we’d be waiting until 2026 but I hope that’s not the case! I hope they’re working on it as we speak in time for a release either this or next year.

Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 01:58:02 PM »

I know right!  I don't have the patience to wait that long for another archival set.  They could randomly drop stuff online in a subscription based service or something.  Maybe even some limited edition super deluxe sets like The Monkees have done in recent years.  Let's get the ball rolling Capitol or whoever is in charge!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 08:37:29 PM »

I thought Mark Linett and Alan Boyd talked about doing a 1973 live box set this year, but as I’m guessing there’s not enough studio material for 1974 and 1975, perhaps a Brian Is Back box can come in 2024 or 2025 (hopefully alongside some live material from 1974-1977 or so as well.)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 12:57:05 PM »

I think a 1973 live box would make more sense this year.
Next year, of course, there will be a 50th anniversary Endless Summer box.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 08:42:49 AM »

I'd think an "Endless Summer" reissue of any kind would be unlikely (outside of perhaps the vinyl reissues they do every so often). Howie Edelson mentioned in one of the podcasts promoting the "Sounds of Summer" expanded reissue that one initial idea instead was to expand "Endless Summer", but the label pointed out that "Sounds of Summer" has been moving more units and can get more sales certifications, so that's the "title" they want to expand/reissue because they can stack those sales on top of the original.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 11:45:11 AM »

Also with Howie recently bumped up to co-producer on the archival releases, I can only see a more forward thinking and in-depth dive into the vaults. This stuff has to be handled perfectly. It's all about vision.

"Feel Flows" and "Sail on Sailor" (and "Sunshine Tomorrow" and the other archival sets since) are the best proofs of concept for what we can have in the future. Even "Sounds of Summer", which could have easily just had a new sticker slapped on the cover, was re-made with thought and care.

The last several years have given me way more optimism about the archives than decades past, when it was Radio Shack compilations and Hallmark CDs with 7 live tracks.

And to the original question of the thread, I'm sure "Love You" has been on the radar along with the rest of the 70s (and beyond, hopefully). That would fall under the "Caribou to MIU" type of release that has been discussed in the past. As we all know, things evolve over time so we don't know exactly what form this will all take.

I'm particularly glad that both studio *and* live stuff is continually being examined and released.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2023, 01:23:19 PM »

If there is down time due to the harvest for this 50 year anniversary - I wouldn’t mind a revisit from classic albums. Expansions, remix, out takes, acapellas, instrumental, unreleased etc of the first couple of albums. I’m sure more has been discovered in the vaults and it’d be interested to have, say, the first 4–5 albums compiled in one set. I know it’s wishful thinking but a boy can hope this one day comes. I feel these early stages have more to give and have not been explored in awhile. More is there. And can be done.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2023, 04:07:46 PM »

As always with repackaging, it’s interesting how people’s interest changes over time. In 1985 if someone had said we are going to release a deluxe version of Beach Boys in Concert, I don’t think it would have gained much attention-but now that the album is fifty years old and we have come to recognize that it was a high point in The Beach Boys as a live act, plus the death of Carl and Dennis-it is very different….Similarly in 1985 I don’t think anyone would have gotten very excited about a box set of Carl and the Passions and Holland outtakes….but again we now recognize that the BBs never really hit that kind of teamwork again and that those sessions were more interesting than people gave credit for
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2023, 07:07:11 PM »

Well put Ian.  And I agree, a set focusing on 1962-65 could be revelatory even more so now as time goes on.  Also love this concept someone on Reddit came up with for a future set:
https://www.reddit.com/gallery/zkhhp7
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 09:15:20 PM by Bedroom Tapes » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2023, 12:26:08 PM »

Just a fans dream. But a nice release in 2026 would be sessions from 74-77. Focusing on 15 Big Ones and Love You, but including unreleased recordings and an official Adult/Child album. That would make for an awesome box set, or even if it's digital release only like the 68 and 69 releases.

I would call this one 'Brian is Back'.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2023, 03:37:49 PM »

Well I think that set is probably being discussed-it’s the logical next release-question is whether the powers that be think there is enough interest in that set to be a physical release or just a digital download
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx