gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:33:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson to be inducted in UK Music Hall of Fame  (Read 2337 times)
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2006, 06:03:25 AM »

http://www.gigwise.com/news.asp?contentid=22143
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 06:15:06 AM »

Just hope he doesn't invite Mike Love to make the tribute speech!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 06:25:16 AM by Sir Rob » Logged

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 06:36:40 AM »

Actually, Brian Wilson rather than The Beach Boys?!  Seems a bit controversial.  They haven't been inducted as a group yet have they?  Not as far as I can recollect anyway...

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 06:53:41 AM »

Actually, Brian Wilson rather than The Beach Boys?!  Seems a bit controversial.  They haven't been inducted as a group yet have they?  Not as far as I can recollect anyway...

This is in no way to diminish the greatness of the Beach Boys, but Brian Wilson deserves to receive honors all on his own, just as a composer or producer. I really think his legacy should be considered separately from the Beach Boys as well as with them, if that makes sense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 07:04:28 AM »

They broadcast the induction ceremony on VH1 and VH1 Classic, and then repeat it over and over. It's great, actually. I just watched the 2005 ceremony last night again. The inductees included Bob Dylan, The Kinks, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, and a few others. Quite a list! Many of the inductees showed up, then another group plays a song or two as a tribute to the inductee. The Pretenders played two Kinks' songs for example.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 07:09:09 AM »

This is in no way to diminish the greatness of the Beach Boys, but Brian Wilson deserves to receive honors all on his own, just as a composer or producer. I really think his legacy should be considered separately from the Beach Boys as well as with them, if that makes sense.

But what surprises me about this is that when this UK HoF thingy got started (a couple of years ago I think) there was a telephone vote for acts of different decades 50s, 60s, 70s and so on.  It was 'The Beach Boys' who were the 1960s choice to vote then along with The Stones, Dylan, Kinks etc - The Beatles having been automatically inducted by a panel of 'experts'.   (The Rolling Stones won the actual vote).  So it's strange they're saying 'Brian Wilson' now.      
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 07:10:15 AM by Sir Rob » Logged

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 10:45:29 AM »

Then it's high time we started agitating to get the Beach Boys inducted!

I hope Brian's going in for his songwriting and producing. That would make more sense in his getting inducted ahead of the Beach Boys (which I don't think is quite right, but it will sit better with me). That's not meant as a knock on Brian at all -- I'm just interested in getting them all recognized, especially when it's past due, imho.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 10:46:20 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 03:52:47 AM »

As  a Brit, I do get the impression that Brian is held in very high regard here....moreso than the Beach Boys. Brian is seen as being special, we've always had a fondness for Pet Sounds....when I started telling friends that Brian was to complete and perform SMiLE, my British friends all knew what SMiLE is and were amazed....American friends required an explanation and generally answered "Oh Beacy Boys, might be OK then".

So it does not surprise me that Brian gets a special place in the UK HOF.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx