gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:22:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike LeRoy's AI Version of 'Smile'  (Read 1801 times)
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2023, 02:09:41 AM »

What do you guys think of this AI version?

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/beach-boys-smile-ai/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 02:49:38 AM »

Hi pmugghc,

There's actually a thread dedicated to this album here, and here is a thread with other various AI content. I shared my thoughts in the Bookoff Smile thread - I feel like this is the first vintage Smile mix I've heard that sounds complete.

I have some favorite fan mixes of vintage Smile, but all of them still have those songs that are obviously missing lyrics; whereas Mike's version has none of that - it feels like a completed album from '67.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 12:35:37 PM »

I agree with all of this. Not only are the AI created Vocals are a welcome addition to the unfinished tracks, the edits and edit choices here are excellent and refreshing. This was a total pleasure to listen to as an album experience, and once again Smile songs have been looping through my head after listening to it. Many thanks for creating this.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 10:53:22 AM »

That bit of instrumental music preceding GV--is it a H&V section?--is such an inspired lead-in. The Our Prayer reprise always sounded forced to me, and doesn't really work musically.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 08:51:02 PM »

It is an outtake from the Good Vibrations sessions. The Smile Sessions box had a whole disk (over an hour?) of Good Vibrations outtakes, so a lot to choose from.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 03:24:35 PM »

I think it's fantastic, and the highlight, imo, is the whole "Water/Hawaii" section. Only small bummer: no "Barnshine" tag.
Also... I think hearing SMiLE "compressed" into a cohesive, "complete" 38 mins album really highlights how similar That Lucky Old Sun is. SMiLE 2, indeed. Smiley
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 07:12:19 AM »

Hey all! Just a heads up, I spoke a bit about the project on the fantastic Hold Onto The Colours podcast. Give it a listen if you'd like to hear a bit more about it!

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1fHbcvaShlQGVF9VqRoiye?si=6CHD5DRPT1S3omgq0wxNww&utm_source=copy-link

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx