gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:21:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Totten and John Cowsill depart Beach Boys band  (Read 12570 times)
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2023, 12:57:16 PM »

From Scott via FB:

A NEW CHAPTER
Well friends after nearly 23 years I have performed my last shows with The Beach Boys.  It has been a dream come true for me to play those amazing songs night after night, year after year for all the great fans out there.  I’m very proud of the work I did to honor the musical legacy of The Beach Boys – with the help of my bandmates Brian Eichenberger, Tim Bonhomme, Keith Hubacher, Randy Leago, Christian Love and especially John Cowsill.  Also the great BB crew - Swifty, Tara Ricart, Mike Czaszwicz, John Bracken and Adam Richter.  I want to thank Mike Love and Jacquelyne Love for the many opportunities and experiences my family and I have had during my tenure.  Many of you don’t know that I actually started touring in 1993 with the show TOMMY, so after 30 years I’m looking forward to being a bigger part of my family’s lives, and for my next adventure, big or small.  I hope we cross paths again.

Mike Love:

Our live show and band family was blessed by both Scott & John’s contributions for 23 years. Change is a part of life despite being difficult to accept.  Although Scott and John may not tour regularly with us, they will always be my family, my brothers in music and great friends in life.  This is not goodbye, just see you soon 🙏
My Love & gratitude to Scott & John and best wishes for a fantastic next chapter.
Peace & Love,
Mike & Jacquelyne

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I haven't seen any statement from John and only learned of his departure through Mike's message.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 01:07:37 PM by Bud Shaver » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 01:01:31 PM »

Someone online mentioned they thought this might signify a slowdown for the touring operation.  I suspect it's the opposite.  The tour never stops,  and the only way to take a long break is either a pandemic, or leave the band.  It's why Chicago has rotated in and out like 27 members in recent years. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 01:30:25 PM »

Both, Scott and John, were the highlights in Mike&Bruce's band for me. There's a reason they were invited to join the Beach Boys' band in 2012 among with Brian's guys. They did add a lot and I would have loved for that band to stay together. And from what I've heard and read Scott and John enjoyed the tour and working with Brian's band members very much.
I remember in the early 2000s before Scott became musical director Mike&Bruce's band was sounding terrible (check out the AVO session). When Scott took over (and probably not coincidenntally when Brian started to tour) that changed and the band became a potent performance act.

I do wonder though what this means for Mike&Bruce's act. They may find someone to fill in for some shows but in the long term, keeping the band together and rehearsing them....  Huh
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 01:32:14 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 01:31:04 PM »

Someone online mentioned they thought this might signify a slowdown for the touring operation.  I suspect it's the opposite.  The tour never stops,  and the only way to take a long break is either a pandemic, or leave the band.  It's why Chicago has rotated in and out like 27 members in recent years. 
Someone also said the band has fewer shows scheduled this year, so I suspect it is the start of a slow down. All I know is they are not playing the Puyallup Fair this year; Chicago is the only band on the schedule I would go see.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 02:49:58 PM »

Well, that's about the worst thing that could happen to the current touring band.

The band's schedule looks just as full as ever! I think this is more evident that perhaps Scott and John have had enough of the touring life after an outrageously incredible run. I'm also surprised that no one here has reported that Mike and David are appearing at the Chiller Theatre Convention in Parsippany, NJ all this weekend. Bruce is not. To my knowledge, Mike has never done an autograph-show type appearance before, and certainly not with another original Beach Boy. I can't help but wonder (and hope) that perhaps David could become a fixture of the touring band once again? It would certainly add more validity and this would certainly be the time to do it. I also wonder if this is signifying that Mike (and David) are finding ways to stay "touring" without necessarily performing...

This could also be an opportunity for Bruce to (finally) bow out. Hire a music director that actually plays audible/prominent keyboard parts, and let David take on Totten's guitar work with the responsibilities of MD. One could also wonder (and hope) if Brian's recent announcement that he's "busy doing nothing" (strongly implying final touring retirement) has opened communications between Mike and Al about the future. There was lots of footage of the two of them looking chummy backstage at the Grammy Salute. But of all these conspiracy theories swirling in my brain, that one is probably the biggest reach..."The Beach Boys" are booked for three nights leading to 4th of July at the Hollywood Bowl...could be an opportunity to welcome others onstage...

An interesting time for sure.....
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 03:12:47 PM »

An end of an era for sure!  Both will be greatly missed.  Will be extremely difficult shoes to fill but hopefully a good team steps up to take the band home for its final stretch...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 03:43:52 PM »

New drummer is Oldsurferdude!    Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 06:26:59 PM »

A Facebook message on Scott’s page mentions they had known for some time so I don’t think it is a sudden decision. I suspect this is the only news for a few days as a sign of respect and any new members will be announced soon.
I only saw them live with the C50 and they were great additions to Brian’s band. Good luck to them. Just thinking also their tenure was longer than Dennis. 😔
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2023, 09:38:25 PM »

The Chiller Theater convention is actually next weekend, April 28 to 30. Interestingly, Carnie Wilson will be there Fri and Sat too. Mike and David are top-billed, above Priscilla Presley.

The convention’s site refers to Mike as making a “super rare” appearance. Usually, if a Chiller guest has never appeared at a signing show before the site will play that up, but it may be that Chiller’s people decided against saying it was Mike’s signing-show debut because there are dozens or maybe hundreds of these shows going back close to 30 years, and if a guest is mistakenly billed as making such a debut someone will point that out later.

Some other musical notables there will include some members of the Blues Brothers band (the living members that were in the first movie minus Steve Cropper, plus Tom Scott who was in the band initially but left before filming); Jimmy Hart, who will attend in his capacity as wrestling legend but I guess will be happy to sign his old Gentrys records; and Bebe Buell, who according to the site will sign musical items - that is, her records as a singer - as well as photos.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 07:47:27 AM »

Someone posted this on Wikipedia before the announcement was made, so I assumed it was some sort of stupid prank like the people that post every year that Steve Perry is rejoining Journey.  I guess I was wrong, and someone got a hold of the information earlier than the rest of us.  I agree with everyone that Scott Totten and John Cowsill were the highlights of Mike and Bruce's band (along with the occasionally rotating falsetto role), and they will be missed.  I've seen M&B (and Scott and John) twice: 2015 and 2019.  I always doubted I would go see Mike again, but now I really doubt it.  

I know I could use Google, but what is this Chiller Theater convention?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 07:56:48 AM by All Summer Long » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2023, 07:55:59 AM »

New drummer is Oldsurferdude!    Evil
Ha! Good thing I didn't sell my drums!!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2023, 10:30:25 AM »

Looks like that Chiller convention is a general pop culture convention that I'm assuming started as more specifically horror-themed.

I know Mike has done some side deals over the years for autograph signings and whatnot, but it's a little bizarre at this point that he's doing the Con circuit.

He's listed here:

http://www.chillertheatre.com/gt/gtc4.htm

Note the joke "Obituaries" header that is stamped with "Guests." Makes sense for a horror convention, but maybe a bit less so for hosting elderly guests?

Also, I've seen some folks wonder if David's appearance at this convention might signal that he's rejoining Mike's band. While I have no information or knowledge about who's replacing Totten or anything to do with the personnel with Mike's band, knowing what I know outside of the realm of Mike's band, I would not count on it being very likely that Dave would be rejoining.

Meanwhile, a name is already being thrown around for the drummer replacement. Not surprisingly, Mike is likely to tend to higher musicians who are not in their 80s.

I'm also seeing a lot of speculation and intricate breakdowns trying to figure out if this signifies a longer term strategy Mike is employing for the day when he's no longer actively touring. But I think it's just more a case of the usual personnel changes. This one just happened to involve some long-time members. While Mike has occasionally talked about what he envisions for when he's no longer touring (I recall him mentioning he'd be okay with holograms for instance), I don't know that he would want to, or would even be able to, plan for when he's no longer touring. That is, especially with Iconic being the majority stakeholder, if Mike was no longer touring, that might upend the entire touring process. Who knows, maybe it would be easier to just keep the license going with the same operation, just sans *any* actual Beach Boys.

I suppose it's a testament to the known state of relations between members that I don't really see any fans wondering if Al Jardine might reappear.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2023, 10:34:19 AM »

Someone also said the band has fewer shows scheduled this year, so I suspect it is the start of a slow down. All I know is they are not playing the Puyallup Fair this year; Chicago is the only band on the schedule I would go see.

I do think they are indeed past the era of doing like 180 shows per year. But they're still doing a pretty active schedule, and I would tend to doubt a *slow down* in dates is why Totten and Cowsill would depart, unless they resurface touring with a band that does even *more* gigs. But it certainly sounds like Totten is planning on *less* touring and tour travel.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2023, 10:40:16 AM »

Also, stating the obvious, but I think the pandemic/shutdown led to/hastened/forced a fair amount of professionals in some fields to make bigger changes that might have been in the offing at some point down the road.

Some people learned they really wanted to be at home more, and for those that have the luxury of optioning to do just that, I could envision in the early days of 2020/2021 as folks like Totten and Cowsill geared back up to go out on the road, it was a point in time to being winding all of that down.

Had Mike held off longer on going back out on the road, as opposed to being of the first touring acts to go *back out* in 2020 doing isolation pod shows and "drive-in" shows, you might have seen more personnel changes occur during that time.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2023, 01:38:33 PM »

Well, that's about the worst thing that could happen to the current touring band.

The band's schedule looks just as full as ever! I think this is more evident that perhaps Scott and John have had enough of the touring life after an outrageously incredible run. I'm also surprised that no one here has reported that Mike and David are appearing at the Chiller Theatre Convention in Parsippany, NJ all this weekend. Bruce is not. To my knowledge, Mike has never done an autograph-show type appearance before, and certainly not with another original Beach Boy. I can't help but wonder (and hope) that perhaps David could become a fixture of the touring band once again? It would certainly add more validity and this would certainly be the time to do it. I also wonder if this is signifying that Mike (and David) are finding ways to stay "touring" without necessarily performing...

This could also be an opportunity for Bruce to (finally) bow out. Hire a music director that actually plays audible/prominent keyboard parts, and let David take on Totten's guitar work with the responsibilities of MD. One could also wonder (and hope) if Brian's recent announcement that he's "busy doing nothing" (strongly implying final touring retirement) has opened communications between Mike and Al about the future. There was lots of footage of the two of them looking chummy backstage at the Grammy Salute. But of all these conspiracy theories swirling in my brain, that one is probably the biggest reach..."The Beach Boys" are booked for three nights leading to 4th of July at the Hollywood Bowl...could be an opportunity to welcome others onstage...

An interesting time for sure.....
Cool Cool Cool
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2023, 06:58:55 AM »

While it's usually pretty obvious that when *two* people depart at the same time, it's probably not a case of the members just organically choosing to move on, another interesting thing that sometimes might indicate that a member is not particularly fed up with playing the music or touring is when/if they start appearing in the various off-shoot tribute bands.

I'm curious if Totten or Cowsill will re-emerge with any of the varying combinations of Figueroa, Carter, Farmer, Kirsch, Baker, etc.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2023, 09:49:18 AM »

Or maybe the Cowsills (for John)....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 09:49:57 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2023, 11:56:05 AM »

Also, stating the obvious, but I think the pandemic/shutdown led to/hastened/forced a fair amount of professionals in some fields to make bigger changes that might have been in the offing at some point down the road.

Some people learned they really wanted to be at home more, and for those that have the luxury of optioning to do just that, I could envision in the early days of 2020/2021 as folks like Totten and Cowsill geared back up to go out on the road, it was a point in time to being winding all of that down.

Had Mike held off longer on going back out on the road, as opposed to being of the first touring acts to go *back out* in 2020 doing isolation pod shows and "drive-in" shows, you might have seen more personnel changes occur during that time.

So... Mike saw the Convid ?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2023, 04:37:37 PM »

Sad to hear. Great additions to the Mike and Bruce band

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2023, 07:54:07 PM »

John Cowsill was the drummer at the tribute for the Rascals’ Dino Danelli last night at the Cutting Room in NYC. Eddie Brigati sang some numbers and Gene Cornish attended, but apparently Felix Cavaliere was absent.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2023, 10:01:18 PM »

My guess is that either Christian will play the leads or (more likely) that Randell Kirsch or Rob Bonfiglio returns but moves to lead guitar. I don’t have a guess for a drummer, though.

That’s interesting about John Cowsill sitting in with some former Rascals. Did the two survivors that attended do any songs together?
Carnavas
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2023, 11:48:14 AM »

That's a real shame, but they've really given their all for the past 20+ years. Scott and John were always highlights of the Mike/Bruce band for me. With David being billed at the convention with Mike and the footage/rumors of Mike and Al having a good time after the grammy salute, maybe this is opening the door for Al and David to join the touring band. It'll be tough to replace John, though. His drum work is top notch and he has a hell of a voice! Darlin' with John on vocals always sounded incredible. And Scott's musical direction really took their shows to the next level and brought them into being one of the best touring acts of the 21st century. Best of luck to the both of them.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2023, 02:26:17 PM »

John Cowsill was the drummer at the tribute for the Rascals’ Dino Danelli last night at the Cutting Room in NYC. Eddie Brigati sang some numbers and Gene Cornish attended, but apparently Felix Cavaliere was absent.
Are you sure it was Felix that was absent, not Eddie? Felix and Gene have been doing some work together recently. Eddie doesn't want to be a part of it.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2023, 03:51:24 PM »

Are you sure it was Felix that was absent, not Eddie? Felix and Gene have been doing some work together recently. Eddie doesn't want to be a part of it.

Eddie was onstage, several photos of him at event on FB. Also pics of Gene looking reasonably good, but he took a bow from the audience and didn’t play. Pretty impressive lineup of drummers besides John: Corky Laing, Steve Jordan, Simon Kirke, Dennis Diken. Paul Shaffer on keys. Will Lee and even the Alessi brothers.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2023, 04:01:02 PM »

Just looked at Instagram and there are some photos of Mike and David at Chiller Theater, plus over a dozen of Carnie - who celebrated her birthday at the convention.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx