Scott Totten and John Cowsill depart Beach Boys band

(1/13) > >>

Bud Shaver:
From Scott via FB:

A NEW CHAPTER
Well friends after nearly 23 years I have performed my last shows with The Beach Boys.  It has been a dream come true for me to play those amazing songs night after night, year after year for all the great fans out there.  I’m very proud of the work I did to honor the musical legacy of The Beach Boys – with the help of my bandmates Brian Eichenberger, Tim Bonhomme, Keith Hubacher, Randy Leago, Christian Love and especially John Cowsill.  Also the great BB crew - Swifty, Tara Ricart, Mike Czaszwicz, John Bracken and Adam Richter.  I want to thank Mike Love and Jacquelyne Love for the many opportunities and experiences my family and I have had during my tenure.  Many of you don’t know that I actually started touring in 1993 with the show TOMMY, so after 30 years I’m looking forward to being a bigger part of my family’s lives, and for my next adventure, big or small.  I hope we cross paths again.

Mike Love:

Our live show and band family was blessed by both Scott & John’s contributions for 23 years. Change is a part of life despite being difficult to accept.  Although Scott and John may not tour regularly with us, they will always be my family, my brothers in music and great friends in life.  This is not goodbye, just see you soon 🙏
My Love & gratitude to Scott & John and best wishes for a fantastic next chapter.
Peace & Love,
Mike & Jacquelyne

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I haven't seen any statement from John and only learned of his departure through Mike's message.

HeyJude:
Someone online mentioned they thought this might signify a slowdown for the touring operation.  I suspect it's the opposite.  The tour never stops,  and the only way to take a long break is either a pandemic, or leave the band.  It's why Chicago has rotated in and out like 27 members in recent years. 

Rocker:
Both, Scott and John, were the highlights in Mike&Bruce's band for me. There's a reason they were invited to join the Beach Boys' band in 2012 among with Brian's guys. They did add a lot and I would have loved for that band to stay together. And from what I've heard and read Scott and John enjoyed the tour and working with Brian's band members very much.
I remember in the early 2000s before Scott became musical director Mike&Bruce's band was sounding terrible (check out the AVO session). When Scott took over (and probably not coincidenntally when Brian started to tour) that changed and the band became a potent performance act.

I do wonder though what this means for Mike&Bruce's act. They may find someone to fill in for some shows but in the long term, keeping the band together and rehearsing them....  ???

Lonely Summer:
Quote from: HeyJude on April 23, 2023, 01:01:31 PM

Someone online mentioned they thought this might signify a slowdown for the touring operation.  I suspect it's the opposite.  The tour never stops,  and the only way to take a long break is either a pandemic, or leave the band.  It's why Chicago has rotated in and out like 27 members in recent years. 

Someone also said the band has fewer shows scheduled this year, so I suspect it is the start of a slow down. All I know is they are not playing the Puyallup Fair this year; Chicago is the only band on the schedule I would go see.

RubberSoul13:
Well, that's about the worst thing that could happen to the current touring band.

The band's schedule looks just as full as ever! I think this is more evident that perhaps Scott and John have had enough of the touring life after an outrageously incredible run. I'm also surprised that no one here has reported that Mike and David are appearing at the Chiller Theatre Convention in Parsippany, NJ all this weekend. Bruce is not. To my knowledge, Mike has never done an autograph-show type appearance before, and certainly not with another original Beach Boy. I can't help but wonder (and hope) that perhaps David could become a fixture of the touring band once again? It would certainly add more validity and this would certainly be the time to do it. I also wonder if this is signifying that Mike (and David) are finding ways to stay "touring" without necessarily performing...

This could also be an opportunity for Bruce to (finally) bow out. Hire a music director that actually plays audible/prominent keyboard parts, and let David take on Totten's guitar work with the responsibilities of MD. One could also wonder (and hope) if Brian's recent announcement that he's "busy doing nothing" (strongly implying final touring retirement) has opened communications between Mike and Al about the future. There was lots of footage of the two of them looking chummy backstage at the Grammy Salute. But of all these conspiracy theories swirling in my brain, that one is probably the biggest reach..."The Beach Boys" are booked for three nights leading to 4th of July at the Hollywood Bowl...could be an opportunity to welcome others onstage...

An interesting time for sure.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page