gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:14:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Sloop John B  (Read 6997 times)
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 10:36:59 AM »

Good Vibrations doesn't really fit on any BBs album; it's stand alone, to me.
It would've been an odd fit on Pet Sounds because it doesn't really sound like anything else on there (even Here Today, arguably)
It would've been out of place on Smile because of it's commercial appeal and full group sound (whearas the boys seem all over the place on Smile...which is cool)
It surely doesn't fit on Smiley Smile because it dwarfs everything else on that record in terms of brilliance.

As for Guess I'm Dumb, I don't think it would fit on Pet Sounds, either. I adore that song and it sounds more akin to the Today! ballads to me. Take off Bull Session and put on a BBs recording of Guess I'm Dumb instead (but have the album end with In The Back of My Mind; I love the idea of the record ending with those strings going off in different directions....it's a discordant vibe).

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2006, 11:31:05 AM »

Good Vibrations doesn't really fit on any BBs album; it's stand alone, to me.
It would've been an odd fit on Pet Sounds because it doesn't really sound like anything else on there (even Here Today, arguably)
It would've been out of place on Smile because of it's commercial appeal and full group sound (whearas the boys seem all over the place on Smile...which is cool)
It surely doesn't fit on Smiley Smile because it dwarfs everything else on that record in terms of brilliance.

As for Guess I'm Dumb, I don't think it would fit on Pet Sounds, either. I adore that song and it sounds more akin to the Today! ballads to me. Take off Bull Session and put on a BBs recording of Guess I'm Dumb instead (but have the album end with In The Back of My Mind; I love the idea of the record ending with those strings going off in different directions....it's a discordant vibe).

I totally agree.  I've never thought that Good Vibrations fit anywhere.  Doesn't fit Pet Sounds at all, and it is radically out of place within the production style of Smiley.  It might have fit on Smile but I don't like it there either.  I think its best fit is as one of the best singles of all time, and that's it. 
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2006, 09:24:11 PM »

Brian left GV off Pet Sounds because, I assume, he felt it didn't fit in with the flow of the album. Sloop, however, DID fit in according to him. Pet Sounds' songs are of a piece! The over-all tone is melancholia. Sloop is a momentary diversion, a lighter mood, but still the subject is a bad trip. Plus it rises one key from Let's Go Away For Awhile, which GV does not do! How many ways can this be put?!!

Sloop John B is one of my all-time BB favorites and I put it right up there with GV and GOK in the greatness category.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2006, 10:14:31 PM »

How could Brian include GV on Pet Sounds when it wasn't even finished. One of the reasons Brian left GV off Pet Sounds is because he wanted to work on it more, and it evolved into the masterpiece we all love. GV was still a work in progress when Pet Sounds was released in May 66.

Oh, yeah and I love Sloop John B and it couldn't be more appropriate for Pet Sounds. Perfect sequencing.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2006, 10:15:24 PM »

I think this anti-John B sentiment is a product of Rolling Stone wanting to hang on to one last bit of animosity towards the Beach Boys, but no longer able to fully express their hatred, Brian being acknowledged as a genius and all.

What's Rolling Stone been saying about Sloop John B?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2006, 07:18:19 AM »

I think this anti-John B sentiment is a product of Rolling Stone wanting to hang on to one last bit of animosity towards the Beach Boys, but no longer able to fully express their hatred, Brian being acknowledged as a genius and all.

What's Rolling Stone been saying about Sloop John B?

"Three cuts are impossibly dated and don't even enter into consideration: a boring cover of "Sloop John B." that had some success as a single (with all the genius on this record, Capitol Records chose this as the single because it probably sounded truest to preconceptions about the Beach Boy "formula"). The two instrumentals, "Pet Sounds" and "Let's Go Away For Awhile," are pretty mood pieces and that's all."

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/112386/pet_sounds

That's one I remember reading, but I feel like there's been more.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2006, 12:13:13 AM »

"Three cuts are impossibly dated and don't even enter into consideration: a boring cover of "Sloop John B." that had some success as a single (with all the genius on this record, Capitol Records chose this as the single because it probably sounded truest to preconceptions about the Beach Boy "formula"). The two instrumentals, "Pet Sounds" and "Let's Go Away For Awhile," are pretty mood pieces and that's all."

That's not all to me, Rolling Stone. Let's Go Away For Awhile especially is one of the best examples why Brian Wilson is a master composer. Dear listener, while you're out one day, at work or where ever, try to whistle this song.
....Yeah. I got lost too. Yet it's still immensly memorable.

And since WHEN is Sloop John B. BORING? This is one of the most exciting backing tracks of Brian's and the vocals (especially the break) are outta sight. It's especially interesting to note that most people I think don't entirely recall any earlier Sloop versions than the Beach Boys' cover. Music nuts certainly know all about the Kingston Trio's (and others') version of it, but it can't be nowhere near as popular as the Beach Boys' version; I doubt that writer at Rolling Stone ever heard another version of this song. Heck, I haven't!
Sloop John B. may as well be an original BBs song, especially since Brian's arrangement is so....him.
Brian brought it back to public consciousness, and there it has stayed...the BBs version of it, that is.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 12:14:23 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx