gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:49:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Sloop John B  (Read 6992 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2006, 04:00:25 PM »

.....fit on pet sounds?

So im just done giving a listen to the latest pet sounds podcast, and bruce is sad sloop got on pet sounds..

I love this song and i belive im one of the few who think it fits fine.

What are your thoughts?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 04:30:29 PM »

It's always worked for me.  Musically it fits, and lyrically it's justifiable.  Bruce-smuce.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 04:39:44 PM »

If it's good enough for Brian, it's good enough for me.  And now we have him saying in his own words that he wanted it on there, on camera.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 04:55:23 PM »

I think it fits well on there and is as fine as any song on Pet Sounds.  The production is masterful.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 05:16:23 PM »

wasnt sure at first...but i love it on there now...

no others fit in that position...not t-bone dixie, not the little girl, not how deep is the ocean...hehe

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 05:34:31 PM »

It definitely fits.  Brian has said that Pet Sounds was a production concept album, and the production on Sloop is nothing short of spectacular.  As Josh said, if Brian was happy to have it on the album, I am too. 
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 07:33:41 PM »

Fits perfectly. I get so tired of people saying it doesn't simply because it eventually became a hit single and is a cover instead of an original. I love Sloop's place in the sequence too. The rev-up from Let's Go Away for Awhile...I love it.

What does Bruce know anyway? If I remember correctly, he also wanted Good Vibrations on Pet Sounds, the nutbar.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 07:38:06 PM »

A few days ago I tested playing Pet Sounds without Sloop John B. The transition from Let's Go Away For A While straight to God Only Knows feels awkward. Sloop is perfectly knit together and completes the album.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 07:59:51 PM »

I agree with the masses on this thread.  I love the song and the arrangement on it.  It's one of the instrumentals I enjoy most off of the box set.  I think this anti-John B sentiment is a product of Rolling Stone wanting to hang on to one last bit of animosity towards the Beach Boys, but no longer able to fully express their hatred, Brian being acknowledged as a genius and all.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 08:24:02 PM »

I agree with everyone else. And I'll just add that Bruce's beef with 'SJB' only shows, yet again, how the other BB's often don't have the slightest idea what's going on on their own albums. See also: the related BB grumbling about how 'GV' should have been on 'PS.' Which is such hogwash, given how its production and feeling bear virtually no relationship to the rest of 'PS.' Jardine, I think, went on to say that if 'GV' had been on 'PS,' thereby elevating that album to smash-hitdom, Brian would have had the momentum to finish "Smile," and etc. etc. etc. To which I say: more hogwash. Because 'GV' did come out, and was a huge hit, and subsequently gave Brian the momentum to fall apart completely. The BB's being uniquely torn asunder by their own success, whenever it happened.
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 11:46:48 PM »

Count me in as one who loves it right where it is, mainly because it belongs there. It comes after a song called Let's Go Away For Awhile and it's a song about a trip, albeit a bad one. Also the keys of each song on PS rise sequentially, if you take Sloop out it's an awkward transition to God Only Knows, as someone already pointed out.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 12:19:56 AM »

I think I'm with Bruce, as big a fan as I am I don't think I've ever liked Sloop. Maybe it's because I've heard it too many times, I don't know, but I just have a phobia of that song. I always skip it when I have Pet Sounds on... Huh

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 12:56:39 AM »

Musically: yes.
Lyrically: no.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 03:23:42 AM »

I agree with everyone else. And I'll just add that Bruce's beef with 'SJB' only shows, yet again, how the other BB's often don't have the slightest idea what's going on on their own albums. See also: the related BB grumbling about how 'GV' should have been on 'PS.' Which is such hogwash, given how its production and feeling bear virtually no relationship to the rest of 'PS.' Jardine, I think, went on to say that if 'GV' had been on 'PS,' thereby elevating that album to smash-hitdom, Brian would have had the momentum to finish "Smile," and etc. etc. etc. To which I say: more hogwash. Because 'GV' did come out, and was a huge hit, and subsequently gave Brian the momentum to fall apart completely. The BB's being uniquely torn asunder by their own success, whenever it happened.

I agree with every word of this.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 03:47:52 AM »

I love "Sloop" but don't believe it fits here. I believe a BB's version of "Guess I'm Dumb" would have fitted better -  it's lyrically sound and, production-wise, a match for the rest of the album. And I can't dispute Jardine's assertion that Brian might have finished Smile if GVs had turned Pet Sounds into a big hit album. Seems logical to me.

“We live in divisive times.”
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 04:27:29 AM »

I don't think that GV should've been on Pet Sounds, for the simple reason that it just wasn't ready in time. The Pet Sounds era backing track of GV isn't nearly as good as the final one. So if Brian would have been forced to finish GV before the deadline for Pet Sounds, we probably never would've had the GV we have now.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 04:57:39 AM »

I don't think that GV should've been on Pet Sounds, for the simple reason that it just wasn't ready in time. The Pet Sounds era backing track of GV isn't nearly as good as the final one. So if Brian would have been forced to finish GV before the deadline for Pet Sounds, we probably never would've had the GV we have now.

Just to clarify, the verses from the "Pet Sounds"-era version of the "GV" backing track WERE included in the final edit...but I agree with you, the final edit is what "made" the production what it is.  I wouldn't have wanted any other version out at the time.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 05:45:07 AM »

I love "Sloop" but don't believe it fits here. I believe a BB's version of "Guess I'm Dumb" would have fitted better -  it's lyrically sound and, production-wise, a match for the rest of the album. And I can't dispute Jardine's assertion that Brian might have finished Smile if GVs had turned Pet Sounds into a big hit album. Seems logical to me.

Then why didn't he complete SMiLE because GV was such a big hit single?  Wasn't it considered the biggest single of all time, at the time?  You can't get much more successful than that. 
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 06:53:08 AM »

Wasn't it considered the biggest single of all time, at the time? 

Artistically maybe, but not commercially. It was #1 for just one week.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 08:01:57 AM »

I'm sad that Bruce produced the 'LA Light album' and 'Keeping the Summer Alive'  Sad

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 08:15:05 AM »

I can hear "Good Vibrations" as the opening song on Pet Sounds, FOLLOWED by "Wouldn't It Be Nice". Doesn't the backing track for "Here Today" slightly resemble "Good Vidrations"? The cello on "Good Vibrations" could fit in with "Don't Talk" and "Let's Go Away For Awhile", and the theramin could coordinate with the instrument (I don't know what it is- a moog?) on "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times".

Regardless if "Good Vibrations" fits on Pet Sounds production-wise, what if it would've been included? Pet Sounds in its existing form tops many "greatest albums" polls. With "Good Vibrations" on that album, it would top ALL of 'em!
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2006, 08:21:33 AM »

I don't think GV would fit on there, the mood of PS is a very particular one and I think that it might disrupt what is a perfect album. As for not having Sloop on there, I think it might make PS a bit too heavy, its light relief, and a great start of side two track.
As for the post about putting Guess i'm dumb on there, I can see why it would but that would be better placed on Summer Days to give it a bit more weight IMO.
GV is good as a Smile song, but works better having it in the middle of the album like Smiley Smile rather than at the end like BWPS.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2006, 10:09:12 AM »

I love "Sloop" but don't believe it fits here. I believe a BB's version of "Guess I'm Dumb" would have fitted better -  it's lyrically sound and, production-wise, a match for the rest of the album.

Word!  I slipped in the 'Mints cover instead of Sloop and i think it sounded great, but i am great with sloop oon as well, guess im dumb is jsut such a great song.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 10:11:28 AM by jlaird » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 10:17:57 AM »

I can hear "Good Vibrations" as the opening song on Pet Sounds, FOLLOWED by "Wouldn't It Be Nice". Doesn't the backing track for "Here Today" slightly resemble "Good Vibrations"?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the actual tracking ID number for the original "Good Vibrations" became the tracking number for "Here Today" (once GV was discarded from consideration?). It's because the verse melody/arrangement is so similar between the two songs that they wouldn't have fit on the same album. Had "Good Vibrations" been completed to Brian's satisfaction, it probably would have replaced "Here Today" which would have been a bummer.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2006, 10:22:44 AM »

I don't think GV would have fit musically or lyrically on Pet Sounds.  Not in it's earlier form neither in the finished version. And I think it's sad that "Pet Sounds" has the status of being "the album that came before GV" for many people (not to talk about the McCartney-shadow). Both should be seen as separate works from the same artist.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx