gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680773 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:08:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian AI Project.  (Read 27047 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2023, 08:55:41 AM »

Another one for someone to try :

She’s Leaving Home sung by Beach Boys.
Mind you the “Beatles” version of God Only Knows is not good even though Brian’s Twitter shared it.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2023, 02:33:04 AM »

Has anyone mentioned or suggested ‘Proud Mary’ with a BW early 2000s voice. Maybe even a whole R&R album with some classics he may or may not have hinted at?
I’d say it’s the only way we will get this long promised project now.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 12:33:07 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2023, 11:22:15 AM »

Walk on By...holy crap. That is all.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2023, 08:23:36 AM »

Just a heads up - seems most of my videos were taken down by YouTube.

This is stupid and a great shame. I hope you can make them available elsewhere. Ol Man an the Bacharachs are superb.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2023, 06:25:10 AM »

I told my wife, when bookoff smile came out, that the best thing that could happen is that it would be "outdated by summer" and it seems my highest hopes are about to be met!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/YwGAn9QSVuk?feature=share

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2023, 10:06:34 AM »

I told my wife, when bookoff smile came out, that the best thing that could happen is that it would be "outdated by summer" and it seems my highest hopes are about to be met!!

Hearing Mike sing those lines feels so right. I am excited to hear more.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2023, 07:53:36 AM »

Holy moly. That is incredible.

And FOTM, that's an awesome attitude to have. That being said, I think you've solidified your spot in Beach Boys lore for being one of the first to ever attempt to fully complete that album (and being very successful at it).

After hearing Bookoff Smile and 'Thank Him' (and the 'In Blue Hawaii' track), I am becoming more comfortable with the idea of The Beach Boys and AI coming together. There will probably be a lot of garbage, but there will be a lot of treasures that most of us will appreciate. Case in point:

Hearing 'Thank Him' just blew my mind - ever since hearing that old lousy-sounding recording, I have wished that Brian and the band would've recorded a full version of that. And a few weeks ago I was randomly looking up songs on Youtube and came across that. It honestly took me back to that feeling I got when I first heard 'Don't Worry Baby' in proper stereo. Crazy time to be alive haha.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2023, 08:40:08 AM »

I'm wonderin', has Rio Grande been AI'd yet??

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2023, 04:59:19 PM »

I've probably mentioned this before, but the idea of AI helping create a Pet Sounds-era-sounding Love You album is intriguing to me, and in addition to that I'd love to hear the '88 album given the same treatment (and saying that, I love the synths and production on both of those albums, I'm just intrigued by the idea of making them sound like they were recorded in the 60s with Pet Sounds era instruments).

If only AI could re-write Landy's contributions to '88 Grin

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2023, 03:26:30 PM »

Can we  AI OSD singing Mike’s songs? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2023, 05:23:19 PM »

Trailer dropped today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXxn0_rT8iM&lc=UgyRzZe-VV4VyG0ND1p4AaABAg
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2023, 08:11:40 AM »

Can we  AI OSD singing Mike’s songs? Grin
Oh yeah SB! It's gonna be the box set of the year! Wait until you hear my AI version of "Summer of Love"!!!    w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2023, 10:10:49 PM »

I've probably mentioned this before, but the idea of AI helping create a Pet Sounds-era-sounding Love You album is intriguing to me, and in addition to that I'd love to hear the '88 album given the same treatment (and saying that, I love the synths and production on both of those albums, I'm just intrigued by the idea of making them sound like they were recorded in the 60s with Pet Sounds era instruments).

I know this wouldn’t happen either way, but I’d rather have someone like Darian, perhaps with or without contributions from Brian and Al, handle this sort of a thing. Brian’s band knows how to recreate this stuff to a T, and maybe with Scott Totten and John Cowsill no longer with Mike, something magical could happen. After all, Al did tease a possible Brian album next year. Darian and the band could handle the arrangements and help Brian and Al (if they chose to contribute) with lyrics. Obviously, I know this is extremely unlikely, especially potential input from Brian and Al, but as Lonely Summer said above, I don’t want to listen to AI stuff and justify its existence/support future creations. I’m sure those of us here are doing this with good intentions and a lot of hard work, but this stuff is too dangerous to me. Someone wanting to attack any of the band members could create deepfakes audio instantly, and that could spread fast. I think AI should be left to demixing, as HeyJude has said, and if Mark Linett, Alan Boyd, and Howie Edelsoj could get a hold of that (type of) technology (for a reasonable/fair price), that could be interesting for attempting new mixes of 62-63 and 65 material (LDC, Today, SDSN, etc) if they ever receive archive releases down the line.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2023, 07:25:51 AM »

Looking forward to this.  Dae Lims is mad talented and putting the whole AI thing to good use.  His "Return To Pepperland" reworking is phenomenal.  I just hope he has a backup plan for when the Tube inevitably shuts this thing down.  Which they totally will.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2023, 07:30:07 AM »

I know this wouldn’t happen either way, but I’d rather have someone like Darian, perhaps with or without contributions from Brian and Al, handle this sort of a thing. Brian’s band knows how to recreate this stuff to a T, and maybe with Scott Totten and John Cowsill no longer with Mike, something magical could happen. After all, Al did tease a possible Brian album next year. Darian and the band could handle the arrangements and help Brian and Al (if they chose to contribute) with lyrics. Obviously, I know this is extremely unlikely, especially potential input from Brian and Al, but as Lonely Summer said above, I don’t want to listen to AI stuff and justify its existence/support future creations. I’m sure those of us here are doing this with good intentions and a lot of hard work, but this stuff is too dangerous to me. Someone wanting to attack any of the band members could create deepfakes audio instantly, and that could spread fast. I think AI should be left to demixing, as HeyJude has said, and if Mark Linett, Alan Boyd, and Howie Edelsoj could get a hold of that (type of) technology (for a reasonable/fair price), that could be interesting for attempting new mixes of 62-63 and 65 material (LDC, Today, SDSN, etc) if they ever receive archive releases down the line.

Darian already did this back in the '90s on his version of "I Wanna Pick You Up," and it was revelatory. And as good as you'd expect which is to say very good.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2023, 01:12:45 PM »

The SHOWMANSHIP

https://youtu.be/PImkald8cQU

We're going multimedia on this... so hyped!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2023, 08:47:01 PM »

Darian already did this back in the '90s on his version of "I Wanna Pick You Up," and it was revelatory. And as good as you'd expect which is to say very good.

Also his work on "Do You Have Any Regrets?" Brilliant!
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2023, 01:38:46 AM »

This is fantastic, I can’t wait to hear the full SMiLE work you’ve done once complete. Really impressed!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2023, 06:39:28 AM »

but this stuff is too dangerous to me. Someone wanting to attack any of the band members could create deepfakes audio instantly, and that could spread fast. I think AI should be left to demixing, as HeyJude has said, and if Mark Linett, Alan Boyd, and Howie Edelsoj could get a hold of that (type of) technology (for a reasonable/fair price), that could be interesting for attempting new mixes of 62-63 and 65 material (LDC, Today, SDSN, etc) if they ever receive archive releases down the line.

The more AI deepfakes that are created, the more people will distrust new audio/video. So, in my opinion, it's a good thing that there are a plethora of people using AI to deepfake The Beatles or The Beach Boys - because if something nefarious (and fake) does surface, there is a vast swath of songs/audio evidence that will show how easy it is for people to deepfake, and thus people will be less likely to believe that the nefarious content is legitimate. Whereas if deepfakes were a rarity, deepfake nefarious audio/video would be more likely to be believed by the masses.

In the AI era, I hope that the widespread use of deepfakes will help people to not rush to judgement, not jumping on the bandwagon, that this era will help us realize the importance of first-hand evidence and common sense. For years the media has edited video and audio of events to set narratives, governments "deepfaked" evidence to push them into war(s); I hope that with a new wave of deepfakes and mis/disinformation that the general populous will grow more discerning of what they see in the media/social media world.

And as for the specific use of AI in The Beach Boys world, I think that it is overall harmless. For those that want to stick with the classics, these YouTube AI songs don't affect the beauty of the original tunes. For those who are intrigued by the creative possibilities of this new technology, we now have the ability to hear things that never were. And I completely get why some really don't like this stuff (both the moral arguments and that they don't think it sounds anything like the original Beach Boys), but thankfully there's nothing forcing them to listen to this music, either.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2023, 07:25:34 AM »

but this stuff is too dangerous to me. Someone wanting to attack any of the band members could create deepfakes audio instantly, and that could spread fast. I think AI should be left to demixing, as HeyJude has said, and if Mark Linett, Alan Boyd, and Howie Edelsoj could get a hold of that (type of) technology (for a reasonable/fair price), that could be interesting for attempting new mixes of 62-63 and 65 material (LDC, Today, SDSN, etc) if they ever receive archive releases down the line.

The more AI deepfakes that are created, the more people will distrust new audio/video. So, in my opinion, it's a good thing that there are a plethora of people using AI to deepfake The Beatles or The Beach Boys - because if something nefarious (and fake) does surface, there is a vast swath of songs/audio evidence that will show how easy it is for people to deepfake, and thus people will be less likely to believe that the nefarious content is legitimate. Whereas if deepfakes were a rarity, deepfake nefarious audio/video would be more likely to be believed by the masses.

In the AI era, I hope that the widespread use of deepfakes will help people to not rush to judgement, not jumping on the bandwagon, that this era will help us realize the importance of first-hand evidence and common sense. For years the media has edited video and audio of events to set narratives, governments "deepfaked" evidence to push them into war(s); I hope that with a new wave of deepfakes and mis/disinformation that the general populous will grow more discerning of what they see in the media/social media world.

And as for the specific use of AI in The Beach Boys world, I think that it is overall harmless. For those that want to stick with the classics, these YouTube AI songs don't affect the beauty of the original tunes. For those who are intrigued by the creative possibilities of this new technology, we now have the ability to hear things that never were. And I completely get why some really don't like this stuff (both the moral arguments and that they don't think it sounds anything like the original Beach Boys), but thankfully there's nothing forcing them to listen to this music, either.

Yeah I have conflicted feelings about the usage of AI in entertainment.  On one hand it is artificial and not "pure" so to speak so there is an ethical question to be had.  Do we really want new Beach Boys material artificially sung by "the Beach Boys" long after they're all gone?  On the other hand it could be useful to clean up audio or isolate specific tracks (we could potentially finally get a fully-realized stereo mix of "Good Vibrations").  That's what they're doing to John Lennon’s vocals on that upcoming Beatles track they've been hyping. 

As for all the deepfakes popping up on YouTube, they at least serve as a fun curiosity more than anything else.  And when you have talented guys like Dae Lims who but AI to good use and do something constructive with it then I'm happy to listen to even if it's not authentic.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2023, 05:45:29 AM »

Dae Lims' SMiLE is live.  Grab it before it gets shut down (no pun intended). 

https://youtu.be/n7W_2JS12CY

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2023, 08:05:12 AM »

Early into it. Worms is a psychedelic dream and a highlight.

Edit: Ok, nothing is beating Surf's Up. WOW.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 08:25:47 AM by Wrightfan » Logged
louielouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Have you ever been on an airplane?

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2023, 09:58:26 AM »

Awesome! now this is an example of how to use AI in a creative way, as a tool. Monumental work really👏🏼
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2023, 09:13:01 PM »

Not enough time to share all my thoughts right now... but what a daring, incredible, and creative work. Absolutely monumental.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2023, 06:49:51 AM »

I won't belabor the point at the moment regarding how accurate or inaccurate these AI vocals sound to me, but I'm confused as to why a fantasy land "what if" Smile where the big selling point is attempting to fake how the Beach Boys would have sounded singing this stuff in 66/67 would leave out stuff like "Look/Song For Children." I think hearing that bridge between "Wonderful" and "Look" on the 2004 "Smile" was one of the biggest moments on that project, one of the most "a ha!" moments.

I also lose patience when AI vocals are clearly in place for songs that already have perfectly fine vocals. Not sure what the point is of laying a fake "Brian 1966" vocal on top of stuff like "Wonderful." I mean, I guess it allows for better stereo mixing options? But when we're going past the "What if?" stuff and I find myself just listening to someone run a vocal through AI to replicate a Brian Wilson voice that already exists, I quickly lose patience. Why am I listening to an algorithm sing "Wonderful" and "Surf's Up" when *ALL* of the constituent elements on those songs already exist? This isn't "Mike singing 2004 Smile lyrics" type stuff. It's me listening to a person and/or an AI algorithm replace the actual tracks that already *do* exist.

There is obviously far worse stuff on YouTube as far as AI vocals, and I appreciate things being labeled as "AI" (I guess we'll see how much this stuff proliferates via repostings that aren't properly labeled), but, well, I'll hold off on larger piece/critique until I can elaborate more. I will say that I guess I kind of understand why some fans might have, or *want to* have a "holy s**t!" moment hearing this, but to me the whole thing is far more murky and complicated on multiple levels and, if I forego the complications and take the reductive approach in condensing this all down into a simple point, I'm just left wondering not so much "what's the point?", but more "should I burn much time listening to fake voices when the real voices exist?"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 06:59:14 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx