gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:21:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian AI Project.  (Read 26551 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2023, 07:17:47 PM »

Hey all,

I came across some new technology and decided to have a little fun with it!

Here's one to test the waters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13ICunDuIcg&ab_channel=DaeLims

I've been debating posting, but it was too overwhelming to think I'm the only who has heard any of this stuff.  Grin

The technology is here. Should we have some fun before all the sh*t takes start popping up?   LOL

PS - Lots more where this came from, if people are interested!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 08:41:24 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 09:02:23 PM »

Keep 'em coming. While still in its infancy, I could see this kind of technology used to make unfinished parts of Smile a reality.  Imagine hearing a dream cover by Dennis or Carl. Certainly Nothing will stop fans of any band from experimenting. In a few years that dream Beach Boys, Beatles, or Band reunion album could only be a few keystrokes away from happening.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 09:23:00 PM »

Keep 'em coming. While still in its infancy, I could see this kind of technology used to make unfinished parts of Smile a reality.

Already started playing with it. I'd say SMiLE AI (follow up to SMiLE AD?) could definitely happen.

In the meantime, I've got some stuff that I'm positive will blow people's minds. Brian circa early 70's singing a powerful vocal on "My Diane" is HUGE, but it's only scratching the surface...!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 06:08:18 AM »

« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 09:48:15 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 06:22:22 AM »

What technology did you use to make this?  It honestly sounds more like Carl than Brian but still not bad.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 07:03:19 AM »

What technology did you use to make this?  It honestly sounds more like Carl than Brian but still not bad.

It's a script that analyzes samples of (in this case) Brian's voice and forms a sophisticated voice model that can be applied to previously recorded vocals.

So basically, I'm singing the stuff - and after running it through the script, it spits out a Brian vocal. His consonants, vowels, breath sounds etc. I have a lot of years of doing Beach Boys covers (read: attempting to imitate Brian), so I can approximate the emotion he'd put into the vocal - and the AI takes care of the rest. There's a lot of trial and error to get the AI to, for instance get it to sing "softer" or go into falsetto. I've actually made two models already. The one you hear on "All I Wanna Do" is 2.0, which is smoother. "My Diane" is mostly 1.0, which had a bit more of a "shouty" tone and had more noticeable artifacts.

I can assure you that there's no Carl in there - it's 100% based off of Brian's voice. Of course, it's AI so it's not gonna be perfect - but I think it's damn close. I've been living a dream over here. I realize this AI stuff could be a lot to take in (it has been for me), but I hope other people get a kick out of the results of my play time. 3D

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 07:52:52 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 08:48:30 AM »

Wild.

BWPS Heroes & Villains with AI model Brian vocal?
Would it sound more like 1967 released H&V or 1966 cantina vocal?

Although I don't feel quite right saying it, whole BWPS album with AI "vintage" vocals is intriguing.

"Vintage" Brian on Summer's Gone?

Dennis on A Day in the Life of a Tree? Or Brian...

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 08:51:06 AM »

My first thought on hearing the recent Kanye examples was what an AI Dennis singing Holy Man could sound like. There are so many ethical issues with AI and art/music (and AI in general), but the technological developments are extraordinary and the possibilities are becoming both incredible and quite frightening.

Does a really solid AI voice model require lots of isolated vocal tracks?
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 09:00:11 AM »

Hey all,

I've been debating posting, but it was too overwhelming to think I'm the only who has heard any of this stuff.  Grin

The technology is here. Should we have some fun before all the sh*t takes start popping up?   LOL

VERY interested to hear more. It’s a strange experience listening, knowing it’s AI and still hearing some very clear Brian in tone etc. Very impressive work!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 09:09:13 AM »

« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 09:48:37 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 09:26:00 AM »

It’s important with this stuff to try to remain level-headed, and also polite and not dismissive. I think it’s important to note the obvious, which is that folks who are most enthusiastic about AI applications right now also not coincidentally seem to be the most effusive in claiming how close to seamless it all is.

It’s all undeniably intriguing, and I can’t claim it doesn’t strike an eerie and intriguing (and creepy, and….) chord. As I was just telling someone, I’m not sure how great I feel about the sort of “this may be unleashing something unholy on the world, but someone else was gonna do it anyway, sooooo….”, but the stuff is what it is and it’s happening.

I could tell immediately that someone was singing to guide this AI, as the phrasing and timbre and all of that was both not matching the original respective vocals, nor was it “nailing” Brian in any particular era either. I’m not saying it’s a million miles off. But we’re firmly in uncanny valley territory, and I suspect as long as a human being is used to guide the AI vocal, that’s going to introduce some noticeable anomalies to those who are super familiar with Brian’s (or whomever’s voice).

There’s also the anachronism of having a 1970-style Brian singing a 1976 song. In one way this is easier to not be as unsettled by, because it’s an obvious anachronism, like hearing a 90s Carl voice laid on top of the 1973 “Sail on Sailor” track.

Even just within the realm of goofing off in BB land, there are very different types of applications of course. There could be cases of trying to replicate something that *should have* existed (e.g. 1966 Brian and the other guys singing the missing vocals on the ‘66/’67 Smile tracks), or something that once actually *did* exist (e.g. a Carl or Dennis contemporary lead on “Sail on Sailor”), or something that at least *could have* existed (Brian singing, well, a ton of stuff). On the other extreme, I guess one could try to do a “What if 2023 Mike Love sang ‘Surf’s Up’?”, or “What is Dennis Wilson sang the lead on ‘Looking Back with Love’?”

I’ll stop giving people ideas….

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 10:25:16 AM »

« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 09:48:51 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 10:46:38 AM »

This stuff definitely sounds "close enough" to Brian Wilson that when I hear it, yeah I do start to think, huh, what if we had the 1966 Beach Boys' voices singing the 2004 lyrics to "Blue Hawaii" or "On a Holiday"?  Could a complete, seamless Smile LP be created with AI?   And the answer to that question would appear to be "yes."  But should it be done?  I must admit that I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea, and we get into philosophical questions about whether something "artificial" can be an acceptable substitute for something "real"... and the extent to which the lines between "real"l and "artificial" are blurring. We're  in brave new world
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 10:57:55 AM »

This stuff definitely sounds "close enough" to Brian Wilson that when I hear it, yeah I do start to think, huh, what if we had the 1966 Beach Boys' voices singing the 2004 lyrics to "Blue Hawaii" or "On a Holiday"?  Could a complete, seamless Smile LP be created with AI?   And the answer to that question would appear to be "yes."  But should it be done?  I must admit that I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea, and we get into philosophical questions about whether something "artificial" can be an acceptable substitute for something "real"... and the extent to which the lines between "real"l and "artificial" are blurring. We're  in brave new world

I definitely get that. I think it's important that anyone who does these labels them as "AI" so it's documented. Who knows, it could become illegal one day. I'm surprised deepfakes are still legal.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 11:45:39 AM »

Yeah, I mean, no one can say who would have been tricked had the stuff been leaked and presented as legit. My best guess is that those who have the knowledge and familiarity with the music/voices and also some overall analytical skills would have easily been able to tell some sort of fabrication was taking place, and that something was clearly off. I don’t know who would have been able to specifically say “that is clearly a present-day person singing, guided by AI software”, but there are so many circumstantial things about these recordings to poke holes in, I think only casual listeners who aren’t discerning would be incredulous about it.

On the tech side of things to the degree it’s audible, I hear auto-tune type digital jumps in the notes. I hear points where the notes are just sung/bent in a way the vocalist never would have (I don’t know if the like span of time one has been listening to the actual voices matters or not, if someone who is a huge fan but became a fan like 5 or 10 years ago can’t always hear stuff someone who has been listening for like 40/50 years, etc. can, all I can say is that it doesn’t take much for it to quickly *not* sound right). There are other auditory things not specifically to do with the AI tech that indicate something is amiss. The murky sound of the vocal and mix overall. The recording sounding like a pre-existing mix of something has had something grafted on to it (e.g. if a rough acetate mix of Brian doing a Mike vocal all of a sudden popped up, there would usually be other differences/anomalies in the mix to differentiate it beyond the vocal).

I’m not speaking to the intention of any given AI thing being created. I don’t know when or if someone would intend to fool people or not. But when we’re talking in the realm of “It sounds just like Brian, doesn’t it?”, then I think a lot of knowledgeable, detail-oriented fans are going to notice *everything* about a given recording/mix/presentation, and there’s no way it really can sound “just like” Brian if it’s 1970 Brian singing over a backing track that we know was recorded in 1976. I suppose then the task becomes, I dunno, re-recording a 1970-sounding backing track? That’s obviously going to not pass muster as well.

But if we attempt to pull everything out of the equation other than that actual voice, I think then we get into territory where it can quickly become difficult to have a constructive conversation, because I’ve seen this happen with other stuff where some people think it’s “just like!” whatever it is in question, while others genuinely immediately can tell it’s not that thing. It’s like colorized photos (which are often also done with AI), or colorized film/video. Some people look at some of those examples and think it’s uncanny. I’ve seen examples that have been so processed that they look like an oil painting of wax figures, but some people think it looks just like Technicolor film.

I suspect with these AI voices, there is a surprisingly narrow gap/line between “wow!” and “ugh, not even close”, and that’s just looking at folks who are presumably making good faith arguments/observations.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 01:37:29 PM »

Worth also keeping in mind that the possible quality of this sort of thing will likely develop rapidly. You might imagine a scenario in years to come where AI voices are licensed out for all sorts of purposes, with the theoretical possibility of having AI Elvis “sing” whatever you choose. All sorts of problematic issues here, but I also can’t help but imagine hearing lost vocals, unfinished work completed etc.

Personally, I’ve always struggled to listen properly to “alternate” track listings, lost albums etc, possibly because they’re just not what the artist intended. That’s not me being a purist, I’ve tried many times to construct those sorts of tack lists, but I always come back to the original albums. I can enjoy stereo remixes and not feel the same, including those with digital extraction used. So I don’t know how I’ll feel about a partially AI Smile, for example. Nonetheless, I very much hope to hear more of this and would dearly love to hear an AI construct of some of those things I’ve only ever heard in my head (Sail on Sailor with Carl’s vocal, Holy Man with Dennis etc). We’ll never know how Carl might have phrased his take on Sail on Sailor, but maybe an AI version would be worth it just to hear an approximation.

I can see a reasonable use case for finishing things that weren’t completed, but I think there are debates to be had about widespread use in commercial releases using AI vocals.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 02:52:14 PM »

Agree it is "only" intriguing and eerie. But wild nonetheless. And the possibility of rapid development certainly adds to the intrigue.
Is anyone suggesting it sounds "just like" Brian?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 03:01:01 PM by Sam_BFC » Logged

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2023, 03:48:51 PM »

More Today Than Yesterday... with Brian on lead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj9c1UuuXxM&ab_channel=DaeLims
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2023, 04:02:49 PM »

Next they need to use AI to write imitation Beach Boys songs.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2023, 07:53:54 PM »

Quote from: seltaeb1012002 link=topic=28316.msg682044#msg682044 date=1680110716
Ooh I got one! How about a super rare acetate of the Til I Die demo with a long lost vocal track?

[url

It can't be a Brian Wilson demo without him going "andthenitgoes" every ten seconds! While I think some of the phrasing is a bit too exaggerated (i.e. the "hey hey hey" lines are a bit oversung IMO), this is extremely impressive, I hope this program can be released somehow!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2023, 07:07:40 AM »

Is anyone suggesting it sounds "just like" Brian?

While that precise verbiage hasn't been used, I think "it's AI so it's not gonna be perfect - but I think it's damn close" is something very near such a claim. "Damn close to just like Brian" as it were.

I think what I was generally trying to allude to in what I've seen from a lot of folks who use AI applications and are most bullish about it is that there often isn't much moderation in how they sort of self-assess the work (or assess the work of others using AI). The sensibility isn't so much artistic as it is trying "prove" the tech.

I don't see a lot of "this was just for a lark; I'm not sure how good it is, but it's just an experiment", and I see a lot more "this is amazing stuff and we're on the precipice of the world changing, and while I maybe can't claim it's 100% indistinguishable from the real thing, I think it's like 99% there", if not folks (and I'm referring in this case more to loud, AI people who are often also like crypto dudebros on social media, who think their AI art built off of Google image hits of other artists is perfect) who say they are just as much an "artist" as someone who actually makes the stuff for real.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2023, 03:48:13 PM »

Hey all,

This is unbelievable....like in a weird, good, bad, amazing way LOL

Seriously it wasn't perfect but moments in there sounded like straight up Brian. And to heck with perfection, that this is even remotely possible is mind-blowing. I can't even imagine how this technology will transform even in just the next year.

I'm rather concerned about this technology for many reasons, but this is a case where the creative in me is excited for the possibilities.

We have MIDI orchestras, pianos, etc that can help us replicate an orchestra/band. And now we can add "Brian Wilson", "Carl Wilson", etc to the list of instruments people can use to create their own little slices of beautiful music.

I'm sure a lot of bad sounding stuff will come from this, but I can imagine that we'll all be pleasantly surprised (as we already are) at some gems that come from this new era of technology.

Great work, seltaeb!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2023, 04:01:24 PM »

I definitely get that. I think it's important that anyone who does these labels them as "AI" so it's documented. Who knows, it could become illegal one day. I'm surprised deepfakes are still legal.

Probably not technically a deep fake (as it's clearly satire), but the one where George Lucas critiques the Rise of Skywalker trailer is one of the greatest things to come from this era/tech.

The other day Elon Musk and a bunch of other techies said that a 6-month halt on AI technology was needed - now I'm wondering if Elon's less concerned with ChatGPT and more concerned with the possibility of hearing Mike Love singing lead on 'God Only Knows' Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2023, 04:20:43 PM »

Holy sh*t, out of body experience! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AAGJUZWh45I

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2023, 04:48:27 PM »

This is all so freaking fantastic. As Brian seems to be pretty much done recording, these sort of projects will fulfill a real need. Keep it coming, please!

I wonder if it would be possible to, for example, take multitracks of vocals from a Beatles song, including backing vocals, and replace every single track with an AI Beach Boy equivalent (using the recorded tracks as guide vocals, rather than re-recording one's own). Here, There, and Everywhere?

(Well, heck, this would be the best way to replace vocal tracks on BWPS.)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 04:59:35 PM by send me a picture and i'll tell you » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx