gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:59:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drummers  (Read 18351 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2006, 01:07:26 PM »

The best rock drummer is Jerry Allison of the Crickets.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2006, 01:16:09 PM »

I really can't believe Hal Blaine has gone unmentioned here.  I think he plays on half the records in my collection.  Probably in yours too.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2006, 01:18:09 PM »

My favorite Blaine is the Spector Christmas album and J&D's Drag City LP.

Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 01:30:41 PM »

Guitarfool had Blaine on his list.

I'd add Bun E. Carlos, Topper Headon AND MIGHTY MOE TUCKER!. :D
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 01:39:43 PM »

Right on.
Another of my favorites, and whoever don't dig her can kiss my hairy knowledgeable ass!

Chris D.
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 01:42:30 PM »

Billy Ficca
Rat Scabies
whoever played on the Sun Ra stuff
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 05:33:34 PM »

whoever played on the Sun Ra stuff

Oh, you must mean Artaukatune.

BTW I was thinking, wasn't  Elvin Jones, who got a mention earlier, a jazz version of Keith Moon, or was it the other way around, Keith Moon who was rock's version of Elvin Jones.

Also doesn’t Phil Collins have a bit of Ringo in him, they both have this solid, heavy sound and I once heard PC praise Ringo’s drumming. Don’t know if it’s a british speciality, John Bonham was also a very heavy drummer, if you listen to his drumming on “Rock And Roll”, it’s like watching an elephant dancing.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 08:09:15 PM »

The best rock drummer is Jerry Allison of the Crickets.

The Crickets were amazing . . . Jerry Allison hammered a few cardboard boxes for "Not Fade Away" . . . Dig that.

Hal Blaine is on everyone's list automatically. He goes without saying. Earl Palmer, too.

Hal is wide open on Jan Berry's productions . . . but not so on Brian Wilson's.

Jan and Brian are a case study as producers . . . Different styles . . . different sounds . . . while using a lot of the same musicians.

M.

wesi72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2006, 05:46:54 AM »

Roger Taylor, backed up by John Deacon on bass guitar - the best pairing in the biz ever (IMO)!

Cheers,
Andrew
"Still cruisin' after all of these years"
Evenreven
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2006, 05:47:31 AM »

Damn, Ian! I forgot Meg! Thanks for mentionning her. She's great.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2006, 07:25:34 AM »

BTW I was thinking, wasn't  Elvin Jones, who got a mention earlier, a jazz version of Keith Moon, or was it the other way around, Keith Moon who was rock's version of Elvin Jones.

Also doesn’t Phil Collins have a bit of Ringo in him, they both have this solid, heavy sound and I once heard PC praise Ringo’s drumming. Don’t know if it’s a british speciality, John Bonham was also a very heavy drummer, if you listen to his drumming on “Rock And Roll”, it’s like watching an elephant dancing.

Søren

Sorry but Elvin Jones was playing long before Keith moon and as someone who had the pleasure to see Elvin 3 times , Keith Moon was no Elvin Jones...right now listening to Tommy Flanagans Overseas (piano,bass,drums) and Elvin plays only his brushes on this , i doubt very much if Keithy boy could play with this much subtley !! Elvin started playing drums in 1946 while in the military. His first big break came at the newport jazz fest playing behind Mingus and this session I'am listening to right now is from 1957.
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2006, 09:17:11 AM »

Søren

Sorry but Elvin Jones was playing long before Keith moon and as someone who had the pleasure to see Elvin 3 times , Keith Moon was no Elvin Jones...right now listening to Tommy Flanagans Overseas (piano,bass,drums) and Elvin plays only his brushes on this , i doubt very much if Keithy boy could play with this much subtley !! Elvin started playing drums in 1946 while in the military. His first big break came at the newport jazz fest playing behind Mingus and this session I'am listening to right now is from 1957.

I was talking about type of drummer, not about who came first, I know that Elvin Jones preceeded Keith Moon, that’s why I also said that Keith Moon could be rock's version of Elvin Jones.
But anyway I looked it up on the net and there is actually an interview with  Keith Moon, where he says that  Elvin Jones  was an inspiration. The interview is on:

http://www.thewho.net/articles/townshen/keith2.htm

In the interview Keith is asked about drummers:

What other drummers have you been listening to recently, or do you listen to other drummers?
Not really, I’ve been down to a couple of places like the Vortex and the Marquee and it’s very odd because I see a lot of myself reflected in their styles. A lot of the atmosphere and a lot of the things they play. It’s a bit brash, which I love. I think it’s great, just thrashing away, but a lot of the drummers have not developed a definite style. That’s something that comes from years of playing. I’ve picked up bits of Elvin Jones, Krupa, Philly Joe Jones – they were the sort of people I listened to for drumming.

Apparently he listened a lot to jazzdrummers and he also hung out with Elvin Jones. I know that John Entwhistle and Pete Townshend also had an interest in jazz and maybe that’s why there was so much interplay between them, similar to musicians on jazzrecords and also part of why they were so great.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2006, 10:07:17 AM »

Keith Moon
Ginger Baker
Mitch Mitchell
Bill Bruford
Terry Bozzio
Alan White (John Lennon POB, Yes & occasionaly The Ventures)
Hal Blaine
Charlie Watts
Viv Prince (The Pretty Things)
Tommy, Marky and Richie Ramone
John Drumbo French
Robo, Chuck Biscuts and Bill Stevenson (Black Flag)
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 01:39:56 PM »

Al Foster who plays with McCoy Tyner now is unbelievable ...i also believe he did a stint with Miles.
last night saw the Stones and Charlie Watt's was sooo cool behind that kit..
Jason
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2006, 01:48:58 PM »

Most of the great drummers I can think of have already been mentioned, but I don't believe anyone's mentioned Jimmy Cobb yet. His playing on Kind Of Blue is tasteful, never overdone, and always complementary to the bass.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 09:44:11 AM »

Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich and Hal Blaine are the most obvious, but I'm gonna add Dusty Watson. Dusty played with Dick Dale, the Surfaris, Lita Ford, Agent Orange, the Queers, Jon & the Nightriders and countless others, and is often called the "King of the Surf Drums".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2008, 11:02:08 AM »

How 'bout Steven Drozd from The Flaming Lips?
Or Travis Barker of Blink 182?

And personally, as bad a drummer Dennis was (though he was a superb singer/songwriter/piano player/producer), I love his "jungle beat" drumming style from the early 60s. Seems like he toned down his intensity after Brian retired from the road, and the BBs never rocked that hard again until Blondie and Ricky joined the group.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2008, 11:14:22 AM »

Tony Williams hasn't been mentioned? I love what he did with Miles and on Blue Note albums in the 60s. Billy Higgins, also on Blue Note in the 60s. Ringo, of course.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2008, 11:17:44 AM »

And John French (Drumbo).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2008, 11:42:53 AM »

Kenny Aronoff is a MACHINE!  Currently with John Fogerty's band. 

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2008, 01:18:54 AM »

Elvin Jones
Roy Haynes

Rock - Johnny Barbata

[Al Foster who plays with McCoy Tyner now is unbelievable ...i also believe he did a stint with Miles.
/quote]

I also like longtime Tyner drummer Aaron Scott.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2018, 09:22:21 PM »

Karen Carpenter, Luqman Ali, Clifford Jarvis, Robert Barry, Charlie Watts, Ringo, Chick Webb, Buddy Rich, Tani Tabbal, Jack Dejohnette.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2018, 12:22:45 AM »

Karen Carpenter, Luqman Ali, Clifford Jarvis, Robert Barry, Charlie Watts, Ringo, Chick Webb, Buddy Rich, Tani Tabbal, Jack Dejohnette.

Good call, RR. Another great topic going to waste (for ten years!!!).

I like a bunch of those too. For the moment I'll add Simon Kirke of Free, Ginger Baker, Levon Helm of The Band, Elvin Jones, Keith Moon and of course Mr. Blaine. Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2018, 12:44:53 AM »

Stewart Copeland of The Police, amazing and technically superb
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2018, 01:57:06 AM »

Stewart Copeland of The Police, amazing and technically superb

Oh yes, agreed!

Frank Zappa had some stupendous drummers on his payroll. Terry Bozzio and Chad Wackerman come immediately to mind...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx