gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:26:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drummers  (Read 18387 times)
artie
« on: January 12, 2006, 11:32:40 AM »

In response to Big Bri's question in the Album Discussion/Beach Boys In Concert thread:

I think Neil Peart is an amazingly good technical drummer. It is impressive to listen to almost from an intellectual level. I don't know much about Chester Thompson other than Three Sides Live from Genesis...

I am more impressed by drummers with good "feel" - and in that list I would include Ringo, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Ginger Baker, and (believe it or not) Peter Criss. I am not so much a fan of technical flair, although I appreciate it. I like a good solid rock feel that is ahead of the beat, not behind it (ala Dennis Wilson). I don't think Ricky Fataar had the feel either. And for that matter, after listening to Anthology I, which contains Pete Best's version of Love Me Do, one can understand why the Beatles made the change too.  There's just no "feel", especially when Best tries to shuffle in the middle eight/harmonica solo.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 11:40:27 AM »

Keith Moon is my absolute favorite. So much fun to listen to. So much stuff going on. He was fantastic, on and off the stage.

Phil Collins is a superior drummer. I’m hoping he returns to the kit again for a Genesis reunion with Gabriel and Hackett in 2007.

LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 11:42:44 AM »

How would you rate Mick Fleetwood? 

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 11:46:45 AM »

Dave Grohl on Nirvana's Unplugged performance - Subtle and Elegant.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 11:53:03 AM »

Chester Thompson is the man.  I'm one of the biggest Genesis fans you'll ever find and I love the drumming he did in their live shows between 1977 and 1992, but I really think that Chester's best work was during his time with Frank Zappa during 1973 and 1974.  Listen to One Size Fits All and you'll hear what I mean.  I believe Chester is teaching (Princeton maybe?) now.  Such a terrific drummer.  He also released a solo album in the early 90s called "A Joyful Noise" which is exactly that.  A terrific album whose re-release on CD is long overdue.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 11:54:22 AM »

Al jackson Jr. from Booker T and the MG's.....unbelievable timekeeper!..also Ronnie Tutt. But for the most part my fave drummers are from the jazz world....there are so many Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, Billy Higgins to name a few.
artie
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 11:59:44 AM »

How would you rate Mick Fleetwood? 

There's another name. Good one. He is a very, very good drummer. In command, and plays like a human metronome. Listen to "I'm So Afraid"

I am also with Bubba - Phil Collins, all goofing aside, is quiet solid, almost in a jazzy type sense.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 12:05:51 PM »

Buddy Rich !!!.and Gene Krupa  and Sonny Payne from the new testament count basie band .listen to his drum work on Sinatra at the Sands....!!!
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 12:18:20 PM »

Joseph "Zigaboo" Modeliste, from the Meter's one of the greatest drummers i have ever heard, also Jabbo Starks and Clyde Stubberfield  from the JB's !!!.they invented the beat in Hip/hop rap !!! funky drummer !
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 12:33:31 PM »

Why has no one mentioned Steve Gadd?

He is most well-known for this solid piece of drumming:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Sound/stevegaddfiftyways.mp3
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 12:47:45 PM »

Analogdemon,
  You've got a Friend in me then.Genesis IS my all time Favorite band!! BB's a very close second.
  Genesis really lost something though after Steve Hackett left in 1977.
  Have you seen "The Musical Box",Genesis tribute band,on tour??
  The guy that portrays Gabriel is un-believable!! You think you're actually watching Peter Gabriel circa 1973-75.And the sound!!! WOW,these boys got the early Genesis tone down pat!!
 Bubba,you're right about Keith Moon.....that's a drummer(was I mean,R.I.P)
 Bri
halleluwah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 01:12:29 PM »

Joseph "Zigaboo" Modeliste, from the Meter's one of the greatest drummers i have ever heard, also Jabbo Starks and Clyde Stubberfield  from the JB's !!!.they invented the beat in Hip/hop rap !!! funky drummer !
Amen.  As far as funk goes, I also love Greg Errico from Sly and the Family Stone.

On a totally unrelated note, I don't think any thread on great feel drummers would be complete without a mention of Levon Helm.  That man is a giant.  And for pure rock fury while still being able to groove amazingly, I don't think you can beat The Stooges' Scott Asheton.
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 03:37:51 PM »

All interesting comments. I used to play drums in a band myself for several years (not a successful one though!) - and started after finding there were much better guitarists at college than me but no drummers! Drumming to me is about what fits the music. The wrong good drummer in a band can sound awful - saw Roxy Music on the Flesh & Blood tour when Andy Newmark had replaced Paul Thompson. Newmark was fine on any of the new stuff, but totally wrong for any of the older songs - he was behind the beat all the time, and couldn't drive the band at all. Moon is my idol, but he would have been in trouble in almost any other band than The Who, as he was just perfectly suited to playing with Townshend (odd enough in itself, as the drummer normally plays with the bass player). The Who with Kenney Jones were flat - too grounded when they need to fly. Levon Helm is a wonder - one of the few that never plays what you expect him to but it still sounds just right. The more technical drummers like Phil Collins are fine with very busy music like Genesis, but there isn't a whole lot of heart there, unlike Bonham for instance who was flash but in a very down to earth way (i.e. it sounds basic but is actually unbelievably tricky when you break it down). Although Moon was my idol I couldn't play like him (who can?) and on the whole I went for a more basic Bonham - very heavy bass drum and snare, not too bothered about the whole paradiddle stuff. I do miss playing!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 09:39:32 PM »

Let's get to the point please -- Chollie Watts!

Thank you.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 06:25:42 AM »

Bernard Purdie.......no one has mentioned him , he even claims he did the drumming on some Beatle songs Huh??

Idris Muhammad his Power of soul album on CTI is a must have.........also Billy Cobham who is perhaps the Fusion drummer of the 70"s.
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 07:00:23 AM »

Along with Cobham as far as fusion goes would be Phil Collins when he was with Brand X.
I was just listening to the Unorthodox behaviour CD and WOW could Collins play a mean 12/8 timing on Nuclear Burn!!
Big Bri
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 07:32:49 AM »

Buddy Rich
Jeff Porcaro
Hal Blaine
Steve Gadd
Al Jackson, Jr.
John "JR" Robinson
Earl Palmer
Gene Krupa
Max Roach
Papa Jo Jones
Elvin Jones
Jim Keltner
Steve Jordan

Just a few of my favorites.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Evenreven
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 08:07:38 AM »

Phil Collins
Ringo
Bill Bruford
Levon Helm
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2006, 08:12:17 AM »

No one has mentioned Louie Bellson ....or Tony Williams !!!!!
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 08:19:59 AM »

Roger Taylor!

Tre Cool! (ha!)

Watch out for snakes!
no
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006, 08:44:02 AM »

Levon Helm

Yeah!

I'll add a few more Rock drummers:

Matt Johnson who drummed on Jeff Buckley's "Grace."

Charlie Watts.

Meshuggah's drummer, Thomas Haake. Really innovative, this guy.

Stewart Copeland.

Vinnie Paul. Almost too solid.

Adam Wade.

And "In Utero" Dave Grohl.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 09:46:19 AM »

Too many faves to list . . . and certainly too many good drummers to list . . . But the following are all standouts:

Neal Peart (hard to top)

Stuart Copeland (fantastic drummer / also scores films)

Alex Van Halen (amazing in concert)

Gene Krupa (one of the early legends)

Omar Hakim (jazz / funk)

Keith Moon (the man)

Jon Bonham (technical, a precursor to Neal Peart)

Bill Bruford (Yes)

You wanna hear a hot new drummer? Check out the Rocking Scoundrels . . . Scroll down to the Jukebox and listen to "Sparks" . . . Darren Edwards is a chip off the old Moon.

I'm into percussion in general . . . and rudimental / corps-style drumming is one of the coolest percussive art forms on the planet. Here's a piece I wrote in that style: Tremor in the Force.

M.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2006, 09:47:58 AM »

Two pages on rock drummers and no mention of Mitch Mitchell?  I am sad.  What do you all have against him?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2006, 11:34:57 AM »

I'm not named after him, that's for sure...

Watch out for snakes!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2006, 12:55:30 PM »

Laaurie asked

"How would you rate Mick Fleetwood?"

I like his style.  He is solid and does some tasty fills.  But when I think of Mick Fleetwood I have to think of the rhythm section of John McVie and Mick Fleetwood.  In my opinion, the are among the very best at what they do.  Listen over the years to the Peter Green, Bob Welch, Danny Kirwin, and Lindsay Buckingham incarnations....the one constant is that bass/drum sound that these guys pull off as a unit.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx