gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:29:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R. I. P. Burt Bacharach  (Read 1167 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2023, 09:34:43 AM »

Burt Bacharach, master of pop songwriting, dies aged 94

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/feb/09/burt-bacharach-

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 03:20:35 PM »

Sad
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 01:36:59 AM »

Time to listen to "What Love can do":

This song was included on a Target album New Music from an Old Friend, where several well-known artists, including Brian Wilson, did a new recording of an old song, and then laid down one new tune.

Singer-songwriter Tonio K found himself collaborating with two music legends when he penned this song with Brian Wilson and Burt Bacharach. Tonio had taken on the Hal David role with Bacharach on a number of other tunes, but this was the only time either of them had written with Brian Wilson. Speaking with us in a 2013 interview, Tonio told us how this one-off collaboration came about: "He and Burt, I don't know if they even knew each other," he said. "They must have said hello over the years at one function or another, but he and Burt I think were seated at the same table at some Grammy function and someone at the table was going, 'Hey, have you two guys ever written a song?' They went, 'No, actually. We've never written a song together.' And I think Melinda, Brian's wife and kind of manager aide-de-camp put it together.

So one day Burt called me up and he goes, 'Hey, I'm going to write a song with Brian Wilson. First time I've ever written with him before. Do you want to write the lyric?' I went, 'Oh, gee, let me think about that.' So anyway, we did.

But Brian had a verse, melody, and background harmonies, which are really cool. Some real Beach Boy kind of background stuff that he already had. He was hoping Burt would come up with a great Burt Bacharach '60s chorus, which Burt did. I'm sitting around with my legal pad, looking at the two of them on a piano bench working it out at Burt's house, and I said, 'Burt, you know me well enough to know I don't do this, but I'm sitting here looking at Burt Bacharach and Brian Wilson sharing a piano bench as we're writing this song. I've got to have a picture of that. Are you guys okay if I bring a camera tomorrow?' [Laughing] This was pre iPhone. They went, 'Sure.'

I don't do that, but that one just struck me as something no one was ever going to see again, and I needed to get a picture of it."

Source: https://www.songfacts.com/facts/brian-wilson/what-love-can-do

"What Love can do":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8A_J4KSvRg

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 04:04:41 AM »

Bacharach was a giant among giants. So many great songs.  May he rest in peace.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 01:54:03 AM »

What I find amazing about his songs is that you know fter the first bar exactly who wrote that song. Just like you know by some instrumentalists who plays after they hit the first note. Bacharach definitely had a sound

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx