gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:09:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin Passed Away  (Read 4951 times)
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2023, 10:59:02 AM »

Not sure I saw this here, but I saw that Rocky Pamplin passed away in December.
https://www.echovita.com/us/obituaries/ca/orange/rushton-pamplin-15653661
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 02:57:45 PM »

Very sad news.  Emily and I in particular gave Rocky a rough ride in here a few years ago, but sad to lose a member of the extended “family” of The Beach Boys. Rest in peace, Rocky…
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 03:58:01 PM »

I just noticed he had a Wikipedia article which hadn't been updated with his death. So I fixed it.

RIP. Sad
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 08:53:12 PM »

RIP to Rocky though I must admit I was not a big fan, especially with his flip-flopping on his "story."

To be honest though, I kinda thought his take on "California Feelin'" was pretty good.

Lastly, ain't it crazy that Brian is still alive and kickin' while so many other players in the story have come and gone?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 12:02:40 AM »

RIP to Rocky though I must admit I was not a big fan, especially with his flip-flopping on his "story."

To be honest though, I kinda thought his take on "California Feelin'" was pretty good.

Lastly, ain't it crazy that Brian is still alive and kickin' while so many other players in the story have come and gone?

The hero outlasted most of the villains, for lack of a better way to put it

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 11:54:19 AM »

Something in me wishes that there was some independent confirmation of his death, other than from Echovita. It uses boiler plate language and does not list survivors, funeral services or a funeral home or crematory. Even if the famiily wanted to keep it private, there is usually some statement to that effect in the obituary. I did a search and found no newspaper obit, no articles in newspapers, magazine or online sources, nothing on his personal Facebook page. There was apparently a post on an alumni Facebook page for his high school, but I suspect it may have used the Echovita posting as a source. I don't know that for a fact, however, as it is a private page.

Anyone out there have independent, reliable confirmation of Rocky's passing?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 09:24:49 PM »

I will always wonder if the beating Rocky and SL inflicted on Dennis caused him so much pain that he self medicated himself in excess which contributed to his early demise. Obviously he was already in bad shape from years of substance abuse.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 09:44:00 PM »

It certainly didn’t help. And yeah I do think it made it worse

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 09:40:05 AM »

I will always wonder if the beating Rocky and SL inflicted on Dennis caused him so much pain that he self medicated himself in excess which contributed to his early demise. Obviously he was already in bad shape from years of substance abuse.

It seems obvious, too, that this beating was one particularly dreadful moment in a really toxic sort of family dynamic within the band in the 70s, and really it was the same dynamic that made things much harder for Brian, too, now directed at Dennis as well, which was a "tough love" approach to really admittedly scary substance abuse problems that was only ever going to make things worse (even though I think Mike but really the entire band had trouble imagining what other approach they could take), combined with a huge amount of resentment that meant the idea of Brian or Dennis being successful outside the context of the Beach Boys really rankled Mike in particular, but again I think everyone to some extent.

I think that combination of "tough love" and resentment was just poisonous.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 10:12:37 AM »

Something in me wishes that there was some independent confirmation of his death, other than from Echovita. It uses boiler plate language and does not list survivors, funeral services or a funeral home or crematory. Even if the famiily wanted to keep it private, there is usually some statement to that effect in the obituary. I did a search and found no newspaper obit, no articles in newspapers, magazine or online sources, nothing on his personal Facebook page. There was apparently a post on an alumni Facebook page for his high school, but I suspect it may have used the Echovita posting as a source. I don't know that for a fact, however, as it is a private page.

Anyone out there have independent, reliable confirmation of Rocky's passing?

This raised red flags for me, too. I find this all highly suspicious.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 10:55:57 AM »

Agreed, there aren't enough sources for confirmation so far, imo. None that would be considered reliable....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 10:56:59 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 11:31:36 AM »

I have wondered if the balance issue Carl was having in Perth in 1978 could have been from Rocky knocking him out in Melbourne a few days earlier. Granted, there is no doubt Carl was doing a lot of stuff that could potentially have caused that. Also, there were a few concerts between Melbourne and Perth, and I am curious as to how they went. In any case, I've read that Carl spent the rest of that tour avoiding Rocky.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 10:33:43 PM »

I just noticed he had a Wikipedia article which hadn't been updated with his death. So I fixed it.

RIP. Sad

I did an extensive Google search and, although there were numerous web hits on him, your Wikipedia entry was the only one to mention his death.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 08:44:54 PM »

I did a search as well, before the Wikipedia page had been changed, and came up with nothing other than the Echovita site shown at the top of this thread. I think the Wikipedia page should be changed back to the way it was until his death can be confirmed by a more reliable source. I would edit it myself, but I don't have a Wikipedia account.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2023, 03:34:45 AM »

I find this all very weird and morbid.  The Echovita site does list the obituary. I can’t imagine that this could be fake.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2023, 09:03:28 AM »

I find this all very weird and morbid.  The Echovita site does list the obituary. I can’t imagine that this could be fake.
No, it doesn't show an obituary. That is not an obituary. Other than the name, the location of his residence and the supposed date of death, the listing shows boiler plate language that is used for many people on the site. It contains no information as to survivors, funeral home or crematory or funeral arrangements. Even if the funeral arrangements are private, an obituary will say that they are private. And a Google search mentions no newspaper obituary and no other articles mentioning Rocky's death.  There is a Reddit thread, but it lists the Echovita site as its only source. Rocky had a Facebook page. If there is any information as to his death there, it is not public. Same for his high school alumni Facebook page.

I always check items posted on the internet, whatever the subject, for specific information, and reliable and varied sources. This one doesn't pass those tests.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 09:22:31 AM by patsy6 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2023, 10:40:10 AM »

The guy that co-wrote/re-wrote his book was posting here for a while some time back. Is anyone able to contact him?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2023, 03:37:11 PM »

I would think that if he was still alive, he would have been hearing rumors about his death, then he or somebody related or close to him would somehow have come out by now and said, somewhere, "Hey, no he's not dead!" The fact there's been nothing like that (that we've heard) would seem to indicate to me it's true. Maybe.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2023, 03:50:22 PM »

Just tell Ron Hamady that I’m gonna post another review of the book on Amazon! That should elicit a response!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2023, 03:15:46 PM »

Post deleted, used wrong thread
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 03:18:03 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2023, 05:51:27 PM »

I can't fathom how someone who caused such physical and mental pain for the Wilsons was not paid back in full. And then there's that "book."  Family? WTF?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2023, 06:29:42 PM »

FWIW, BBFC got confirmation that Rocky is no longer with us, so the report is true.
Unreconstructed Wilsonite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2023, 12:48:33 AM »

No sympathy from me, given what he did to Dennis Wilson with Stan Love
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2023, 02:02:26 PM »

No sympathy from me, given what he did to Dennis Wilson with Stan Love

Or what he did to Carl in Australia, knocking him out with one punch.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx