gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:38:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Brian Wilson still give concerts?  (Read 4724 times)
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2023, 10:38:42 AM »

Hello,

I have a question concerning Brian Wilson: Will he still give concerts? Or has he retired?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 12:08:38 PM »

I don’t think anyone knows right now.

BW canceled the rest of his 2022 shows, but in an interview last month Al suggested they might play again this summer.

Brian was in rough shape for much of this year’s dates, so I suspect his team will be cautious before booking any more.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 10:50:06 PM by Wirestone » Logged
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 07:43:44 AM »

Oh, I see, that's unfortunate. Let's hope he will get better soon.

To be honest I don't quite understand why he kept going on tour until recently. Don't get me wrong, I think he is still really great and I enjoyed going to one of his concerts in 2017 very much. I'm just not sure what his personal motivation for still going on tour is. When I think about his time in the Beach Boys it seems to me that he was not very eager to do concerts and preferred working in the studio. It seemed to me that he never needed the adulation of an audience. So I'm not really sure what drives him to still do concerts at his age. What do you think?

Maybe he just wants to make people happy with his music, as he has all his life.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 02:37:46 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks Brian should retire from touring?  He's earned it.
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 10:49:35 PM »

Then we are two, Bedroom Tapes. Still better than zero... 🧐

Disclaimer to try to avoid the usual answer: of course, unless Brian wants to keep on touring.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 10:53:38 PM by Zenobi » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 02:21:22 AM »

Disclaimer to try to avoid the usual answer: of course, unless Brian wants to keep on touring.

Three and I agree with the disclaimer

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 09:31:44 AM »

As long as he wants to continue, then I will continue to go since 1. I would happily pay to see the Brian band play that catalogue without Brian, and 2. the shows themselves are like church to me.

But at the same time, I would be just as content to see him call it a day. Especially since he’s already given us more than we thought possible in his comeback run.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 10:26:56 PM »

I don’t want to go off-topic, but given Robbie Mac’s true comment about Brian’s “comeback run,” did we ever get any further info about the pictures of Brian in the studio in late summer/early fall 2022?
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 10:53:36 AM »

Yes, I also think he really has earned it. He should tour as long as HE wants.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 08:52:44 AM »

No, this has been a pretty regular sentiment from most fans here for quite some time. Perhaps a bit more "he should retire if he wants" than explicitly calling to bar him from the stage. But if you read the 2022 tour thread, I think most fans, even the most overly-forgiving fans, have come to the realization that we should probably expect few performances if any in the future.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 03:02:23 PM »

This is PURE SPECULATION on my part. I wonder if in 2022 Brian experienced some of the same medication-type issues as those which caused him to cancel his 2019 June and July tours. Many people wondered why he continued to tour in 2022 when he was obviously incapacitated much more than he normally is. The difference was that in 2022 many tour dates involved Chicago as well as the Brian Wilson Band, and were perhaps much more difficult for Brian to cancel his band's participation without breaching some contracts. In any case, I hope he is happy, healthy and enjoying life at home.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 06:41:51 AM »

Three and I agree with the disclaimer

If his health continues to decline and he continues to be barely functional on stage then he probably doesn't need to keep going, even if his band does a good job with the heavy lifting.  It just looked really sad seeing him up stage in that condition.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 05:39:37 PM »

This is PURE SPECULATION on my part. I wonder if in 2022 Brian experienced some of the same medication-type issues as those which caused him to cancel his 2019 June and July tours. Many people wondered why he continued to tour in 2022 when he was obviously incapacitated much more than he normally is. The difference was that in 2022 many tour dates involved Chicago as well as the Brian Wilson Band, and were perhaps much more difficult for Brian to cancel his band's participation without breaching some contracts. In any case, I hope he is happy, healthy and enjoying life at home.

That’s strongly what I was thinking

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 04:14:25 AM »

Carney was the guest on a beach boy oriented internet talk show last night and she pretty much said that Brian's touring career days have ended and that he's retired from touring. If that's true hope he's healthy and happy  would be nice to hear some sort of a formal statement made though. She also said she was very concerned about her dad's health and hadn't seen him in a while for some reason. Hope all is okay with Brian
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 05:19:13 AM »

Carney was the guest on a beach boy oriented internet talk show last night and she pretty much said that Brian's touring career days have ended and that he's retired from touring. If that's true hope he's healthy and happy  would be nice to hear some sort of a formal statement made though. She also said she was very concerned about her dad's health and hadn't seen him in a while for some reason. Hope all is okay with Brian

At 1h05s https://www.facebook.com/BeachBoysTalk/videos/547871657307372
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 12:58:03 PM »

Sad
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 01:18:26 PM »

I think it's probably better all around to *not* make a big announcement of some sort of retirement. It doesn't really help much of anything, and it's not like there are still ticket holders waiting to find out if their show is canceled. It would just invite another negative spin news cycle.

I would imagine one likely scenario is that they realize Brian's not going to be doing like "on the road" touring, but they don't want to close the door on anything and everything, so why announce anything?

I don't think fans need more closure than what we have. I mean, I think we'd all like to see some video or something that hopefully shows Brian in good spirits and generally good overall health all things considered.

As has been discussed on many threads, both the BBs as a group and Brian solo have HUNDREDS of studio and live tracks in the vaults that could still be released to continue "the story" so to speak. And I don't know that the door is 100% closed on Brian cutting stuff in the studio.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 02:46:23 PM »

Folks should listen to this Carnie interview. It's great.

She does say that the touring is done, but she also notes that it probably extended her dad's life by decades. Even when he was just going through the motions, the love from fans really mattered. Stay tuned for lots of stories about Carl, x-rated versions of Hey Santa and what it's like to tour with Al (everything we've assumed as fans is true). She also notes that she has been urging BW to do a Sinatra tribute record.

The ending part about her dad is concerning. She suggests he has a lot going on, then corrects that to "a lot going on around him," and says she misses him and wishes that he -- and then she doesn't finish the thought. It wouldn't be the BBs without family drama, so who knows.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 09:48:15 PM »

Thanks Wirestone, that is incredibly depressing news but thanks

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 09:49:22 PM »

Why would Carnie need to miss her own dad.. could she not.. visit him?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2023, 05:54:05 AM »

Who the hell knows.  As Wirestone accurately suggested, it wouldn't be the Beach Boys without family drama. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2023, 08:54:28 AM »

She does say that the touring is done, but she also notes that it probably extended her dad's life by decades. Even when he was just going through the motions, the love from fans really mattered. Stay tuned for lots of stories about Carl, x-rated versions of Hey Santa and what it's like to tour with Al (everything we've assumed as fans is true). She also notes that she has been urging BW to do a Sinatra tribute record.

The ending part about her dad is concerning. She suggests he has a lot going on, then corrects that to "a lot going on around him," and says she misses him and wishes that he -- and then she doesn't finish the thought. It wouldn't be the BBs without family drama, so who knows.

I'm really sad that he won't tour anymore. However, it is so great to hear that the touring extended her dad's life by decades and that I helped doing that by going to two concerts. And to hear that the love from his fans really mattered is so nice to hear, too.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2023, 09:40:01 PM »

I’ll definitely have to listen that interview. It’s one of the many that the BeachBoyTalk crew have done that I’ve put on a to-do list. However, apologies for the second (and hopefully final) off-topic post I’ll make in this thread, but I’m curious about what an x-rated version of Hey Santa sounds like. I guess I’ll have to get to that interview sooner rather than later.  LOL
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2023, 02:38:45 PM »

I’ll definitely have to listen that interview. It’s one of the many that the BeachBoyTalk crew have done that I’ve put on a to-do list. However, apologies for the second (and hopefully final) off-topic post I’ll make in this thread, but I’m curious about what an x-rated version of Hey Santa sounds like. I guess I’ll have to get to that interview sooner rather than later.  LOL
"Hey Santa, are you getting hard for me? Can we do it under the Christmas tree?"
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2023, 12:10:58 AM »

Being part of a complex family is hard to understand if you're outside of it (or perhaps not experienced this yourself)

Sometimes everyone being alive and visitable isn't enough.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx