gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:52:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson Interview (May 27, 1983)  (Read 1662 times)
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2023, 08:06:24 PM »

This Friday night May 27, 1983, 30-minute television interview with Carl is certainly one of the best I've seen:

https://youtu.be/vpG7AL2UF4E

Please note that there are a few technical issues with the clip.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 07:00:37 PM »

Tx, that was a great interview, Carl just so honest and genuine. Miss him.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 11:24:04 PM »

Truly wonderful interview.    Made me stop and imagine an alternate universe where Carl had become an architect... bet he would have been a good one (though of course it'd have been an immeasurable loss to popular music).
Dennis Wholey was an excellent interviewer.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 11:24:58 PM by juggler » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 11:47:42 AM »

Yeah that is a great interview. You know Dennis Wholey had a show out of Cincinnati in the 60s-70s and the BBs were on it in the autumn of 1969 and then performed Slip on Through! It hadn’t even been released yet! That is one TV clip I wish would surface-there is an audio tape of it but I have a feeling the video has not been preserved
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 12:59:15 PM »

Dennis Wholey is still an active television host, producer and author at the age of 83. It's interesting that Dennis Wholey himself battled alcohol and valium addictions, which may be the reason he felt comfortable addressing the addiction issue with Carl, although he was under the impression that Carl was "always very anti-drug." Perhaps that's also the reason why Carl felt comfortable being honest with him about his own drug problems, although they didn't delve into it too deeply.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Wholey
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 08:56:03 AM »

I've long asked the question of why so little in the way of in-depth interviews with Carl exist. I'm sure the obvious multi-prong answer is most likely, that he was both a private person and presumably wasn't getting asked that often to do such interviews. It's no coincidence that a few of the best ones come from the times he was out promoting his solo albums. Too bad he didn't do more solo albums; perhaps we would have had more long form interviews too.

But there are a few from the 80s, both in print and on video. There was some raw footage from the mid-80s from an interview Carl did (perhaps with MTV or VH1 or something along those lines) that had some good stuff, although as I recall he was being interviewed by someone who clearly *wasn't* a skilled interviewer nor a big BB fan.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 10:14:42 AM »

I often wonder how much impact the publication of the Gaines book had on Carl doing interviews. I've heard (from an eyewitness) that Carl got very upset backstage at a later-'80s show, when a reporter started hounding him about his drug use during the '78 Australian tour. My understanding is that Carl felt he had put that all behind him, in the past, and didn't want to revisit those events.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 10:52:04 AM »

The Beach Boys had gone arguably at least sporadically unscathed in the press, or unnoticed is perhaps a better way to put it. This obviously had pros and cons, but one of the only pros of the press not caring in, say, the early 80s, was that some of the dark/messy/uncomfortable stuff kind of went unnoticed (playing Sun City in 1981 being one of the most obvious).

*Then*, the Gaines book came. The Leaf book in '77 and '85 was not exactly appreciated by some if not most of the non-Brian Beach Boys either, but certainly the Gaines book got into much more messy, specific stuff, and perhaps most noteworthy the '78 Australia episode. However obvious or not it was to readers at the time, it's clear they were working from an *actual recording* of the episode (at least the confrontation/punch part of it), and I'm sure that not only were Carl and the other guys probably mortified by the Gaines book in general, but Carl got to be singled out with excruciating and specific detail concerning one of the rare, short-term instances he went off the rails.

That all being said, it's not like Carl was being hounded constantly about it as far as I know. I mean, I don't know what local journalists were asking him on each tour stop, etc. But in general, it's not like there are countless interviews where Carl is confronted about his short dance with drug use. He was asked in that translated '89 interview, and he seemed to still kind of bob and weave a bit around it. But it was certainly his right to answer or not answer whatever he wanted. I don't think anybody expects that Carl should have or would have said heroin was purchased and all of the stuff outlined in the Gaines book.

To the main point, I certainly would think that the Gaines book didn't *help* in terms of getting Carl to be more forthcoming and less private. And of course the Landy "autobiography" was another thing that clearly hurt and angered Carl (and, ironically, whether he knew it or not, a lot of that book appeared to be sourced from the Gaines book).

But I think the only way to know how forthcoming Carl was would be to find out how often he *turned down* interviews. I've never got the sense he was *asked* that often for detailed, sit-down interviews. He did various press junkets over the years with varying combinations of the other guys, but that was all fluff and quick.

It's both poignant and extremely frustrating that Carl's friends and family were and are very aware he was private, as that guy that did the Carl biography several years back got *very little* out of anybody of note. I think he got some interesting stuff from Carl's solo tour guitarist, but that was all like nuts and bolts stuff about touring with Carl. We still never got to know about the man. I'd like to think there would be a way to delve into that more without getting all tabloid status. Billy Hinsche's film on Carl was nice, but pretty surface-level, even just in terms of non-scandalous/personal stuff. A few cool details here and there of course.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx