gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:51:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Tidbit on the Televised Beach Boys Tribute Concert  (Read 25322 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2023, 06:47:47 AM »

The 25th Anniversary show is pretty much "Mystery Science Theater 3000" fodder at this stage. At the time, I think it was cool/interesting to see and hear the new song at the end. And Carl offers a truly earnest and heartfelt "Heaven" dedicated to Dennis. The cheesy show frankly didn't deserve the class Carl brought to it.

But everything looks and sounds awful at that show, save a few numbers. They pre-recorded most of the audio (see the Gary Usher diaries book for the story on that), and while that negated them actually biffing the songs, they very much sound like they were recorded in a TV dub studio.

Even most the guest spots were kinda awful. Two Dog Night was okay I guess. Everybody always cites Ray Charles, and I can't fault his performance, but frankly I would have been fine with Carl (or god forbid they called up Blondie) singing it. Glen Campbell seemed to be on something at the show and they actually left in the part where he sings the lyrics to the wrong song.

But it's highly entertaining as cheese. Brian squinting to read the lines without glasses. I've always loved Mike's randomly blurting out "Don Ho, what are YOU doing here?" during the end of the show. The truly awful editing, including not even showing the guys in the order they got off the stupid boat for their leis at the beginning of the concert.

There are actually some network like interstitials that the guys taped that I don't think even made it on the Japanese laserdisc, including Brian lifting weights.

As we learned from the Gary Usher book, the 25th show seems to have helmed by an old fashioned, cranky, demanding network variety show producer who yelled and demanded everything yesterday. You can imagine how *that* guy enjoyed dealing with Landy.
There's just no pleasing some people. It's the Beach Boys, it's prime time tv in 1987. I was just happy ABC gave 90 minutes to our guys on a Friday night.
I don't remember Glen singing the wrong song; he did mess up the words on I Get Around, though. "Now none of the guys go steady, no, no, because it wouldn't be right to leave her alone on a Saturday night"...or something like that.

Well yes, my assessment was from the point of view of literally 35 years later. It wasn't that great when I watched it back then, and it certainly hasn't aged well; that was my main point. It's not exactly "Concert for George."

The only way to get the band in primetime, even in 1987, was to stuff the show with flavors of the moment and mostly b-listers from the past (or A-listers past their prime, hence Two Dog Night). And even then, they weren't even getting A-listers *of that era.* Mike actually said later on in an interview that he was disappointed with the number of artists who turned down appearing on the show. I recall him specifically citing Billy Joel. Mike lamented that Billy Joel had opened for the BBs in his pre-superstar days, and Mike seemed to feel it was disappointing that Joel now seemed "too big" to do the BB anniversary show.

Who knows. If the band's 25th had fallen right after "Kokomo" became a hit, maybe a better show could have been finagled with better guests and better production values. But probably not.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 06:49:37 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2023, 01:40:29 PM »

Watch LeAnn Rimes Perform A Moving Version Of The Beach Boys' "Caroline No"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXXP5EDO_v4

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2023, 02:49:39 PM »

I think Mike really was tearing up. His expression matched it. This was not only a "This Is Your Life" show, but it very well may be the last one with his cousin, who sang "Danny Boy."  I wish Mike and Brian would have been seated in the middle. Just think if one of the artists would have come out and started singing "Teenage gambler, sitting in a Rambler, listening to the radio." What would have been their reaction?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx